project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Weapons jamming  (Read 20042 times)

nemchenk

Weapons jamming
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:30:47 am »
One of the main reasons soldiers carry secondary weapons is in case their primary malfunctions. This is not an issue in UFO:AI, and I think while it simplifies the game, it means we loose another level of gameplay.

What about putting malfunction numbers on a weapon's firemode? Before a shot is made, the jam or malfunction number is checked, and if it is rolled the weapon is now a high-tech club. Could add an "Unjam" firemode on jammed weapons, expensive in TUs.

Would add a reason to carry those Secondary weapons...

What do you think?

nemchenk

Ildamos

Re: Weapons jamming
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 01:00:58 pm »

It would make the game frustrating IMO.

"hi-tech club" LOL! Nice one!  ;D

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 01:12:18 pm »
I also think it would make the game less enjoyable.

nemchenk

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 01:19:35 pm »
I agree, but only for a given definition of "less enjoyable" :)

Here is how the game would be more enjoyable:
It would give different kinds of weapon different uses: automatic weapons could jam relatively often, while high-tech lasers could be very reliable; secondary weapons would have a use, other than "coolness factor"; squad tactics would become even more important, to ensure that someone with a jammed weapon would have other troopers ready to cover him.

It all depends on your POV :)

Ildamos

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 01:48:38 pm »

You have a point there with making secondary weapons more usable but gameplay elements that introduce substantial amounts of randomness into a strategy game more often than not mess it up.

Kamuflaro

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 02:28:02 pm »
Todays' weapons are very relyable, they are designed not to jam, even under the worst circumstances.

nemchenk

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 02:40:50 pm »
gameplay elements that introduce substantial amounts of randomness into a strategy game more often than not mess it up.
That's true, but again it all depends on the level of randomness, and the amount of control a player has at compensating for it. Why do we roll to hit, or have damage spreads? Why bother with random maps, or missions? Why not play chess instead? :P

A little bit of "predictable randomness" is challenging, and makes us work harder at coping with unfavourable results, or exploiting them to our advantage.

Like I said: if a player wants to nullify the risk of a weapon jamming, he can carry a backup, or use more than one trooper in a formation, or probably some other tactic I have not even thought of ;D

Just food for thought....

nemchenk

Ildamos

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 04:55:26 pm »

but again it all depends on the level of randomness, and the amount of control a player has at compensating for it. Why do we roll to hit, or have damage spreads? Why bother with random maps, or missions?

Haha! True, true! I'm not saying your suggestion is wrong but sometimes when there are already random elements in the game, adding more would mess it up. I oftentimes grumble already when a grenade bounces the wrong way or a shot with a good probability to hit misses. Adding jamming would annoy me to no end.

But that's me. I don't know with the others.

However your point about using secondary weapons more should be pursued. Seriously.

I don't think jamming is the solution though IMO.

Serrax

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 05:11:10 pm »
Let's have a look on the situation today... how many regular soldiers and how many special forces carry secondary weapons?

Afaik nearly none of them.

I share Ildamos's opinion:

Quote from: Ildamos
Adding jamming would annoy me to no end.

cu

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 09:22:05 pm »
Secondary weapons already have a use.

First they can be used when the primary is out of ammo, or for close fighting when the primary has an area effect (bazooka, grenade launcher).

More importantly They generally require fewer TUs, and thus can be used when low on TUs and will be a much better reaction fire choice with the new reaction fire rules. IICR, you will need to save as many TUs for reaction fire as it would normally take to fire the weapon.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 10:00:24 pm »
IICR, you will need to save as many TUs for reaction fire as it would normally take to fire the weapon.

That's correct.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 10:30:43 pm »
I think Jamming could be fun and should be part of the game, although at a very low rate ;)

And I think secondary weapons outrule primary weapons except on tough aliens and difficult maps >:)

Ankheg

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 10:32:45 pm »
Maybe it will be more actual to add overheating, not jamming?
Yes, when weapon wlll be overheated it will be as disabled as in jamming case, but that will be more pedictable and less nervous.

Serrax

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 09:06:48 am »
@eleazar:

Quote from: eleazar
Secondary weapons already have a use.
As they are so useful - why don't have every soldier one?

First they can be used when the primary is out of ammo,
If I waive a secondary weapon - I can carry more ammo for my primary weapon. Which is generally more powerful, accurate and reliable.

or for close fighting when the primary has an area effect (bazooka, grenade launcher).
Secondary weapons for the 'special weapons' squad aren't news and hardly the topic. But for example the grenade launcher is often integrated in the primary weapon - like the M203.

More importantly They generally require fewer TUs, and thus can be used when low on TUs and will be a much better reaction fire choice with the new reaction fire rules.
At first, you need to draw the secondary weapon. Imho the use of two weapons isn't punished (yet) in UFO, as the rocket launcher is the only weapon you need to drop on the ground.

cu

Ildamos

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 10:58:22 am »
I let my medics carry SMGs though.

Those are secondary weapons right? Haven't checked back in a while; vidcard got fried a week now.