project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Problems compiling/running 2.3  (Read 2864 times)

Silver

  • Guest
Problems compiling/running 2.3
« on: March 28, 2008, 09:23:24 pm »
Hello,

It's been a while since I've played the game, and now I find I'm having a problem compiling and running the program.  It's probably something stupid, but I've been over the instructions a dozen times and can't see what I'm missing.

Here are the specs:
Core2 Duo 6420
2GB RAM
GeForce 8600 GTS (with latest drivers)
Windows XP MCE
Code::Blocks (using prepackaged version download from UFO:AI site)

As I mentioned, I've been able to compile and run UFO:AI on this machine in the past, although I did reformat my hard drive since the last time I've played.  Now, there are two problems I have.  The first is that when I run the map compilation scripts, the program doesn't seem to be able to find any textures.  I've confirmed that the texture files it says are missing are present in the proper folder.

The second problem I have is a seg fault when the game is starting up.  When I pull up the call stack after the crash, there is only one line:

#0 695ABB73   _libuser32_a_iname() (??:??)

I can't get a look at the console to see everything, but the last few lines are:

ignoring GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
max texture units: 4
max texture size: detected 8192
but using 2048 as requested

I've tried compiling several different revisions of the 2.3 code and get the same result each time.  I'm in the process of download the 2.2 installer to see if I can run that.  If that runs, at least I know it's nothing with my computer or drivers.

As I said, this is probably some simple stupid problem, but if someone has an idea what I'm doing wrong, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 11:12:42 pm by Silver »

Silver

  • Guest
Re: Problems compiling/running 2.2
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 11:11:54 pm »
Update:

The program runs beautifully when I use the 2.2 installer.  So it must be something in the compilation process that I'm doing wrong.

Offline Destructavator

  • Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • *****
  • Posts: 1908
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Problems compiling/running 2.3
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 05:52:57 pm »
I don't know if this helps, but I've noticed a lot of instability with the more recent SVN versions myself lately, you're not alone.

If you're looking for a beta that is more advanced than the stable release (and with fewer instabilities than the SVN), I'd recommend grabbing the latest pre-compiled one from the beta site that Mattn occasionally places there.  The SVN version is almost always under constant development, and depending on when you grab it, it may or may not work.

Also, the pre-packaged codeblocks and MinGW package is out-of-date.  Codeblocks recently released a new version that I've found works fine to compile the game, along with the latest compiler from sourceforge.

Not being a C coder I don't know what your error messages mean, however.

EDIT: What I did to make the game compile properly (and I admit this probably isn't the best method) was I first set up the old prepackaged codeblocks with the extra libraries included, then installed the up-to-date codeblocks program (from the codeblocks site, they just released a new binary) and the latest compiler on top of that (MinGW from sourceforge), so the updated compiler program would have access to the extra libraries (after linking everything in the codeblocks option menus).

This resulted in my case in getting the SVN versions to compile free of errors or warnings.  BTW, looking at your hardware specs, you have a setup much like my own desktop, which also runs Windows MCE on one of its partitions (and therefore I doubt the issue is with your hardware).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 06:29:49 pm by Destructavator »