project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alternate Ammo?  (Read 4041 times)

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Alternate Ammo?
« on: February 29, 2008, 09:12:52 am »
Is it worthwhile for a soldier carrying a Grenade Launcher or Rocket Launcher to carry Flechette/IC rounds?  By default these both are loaded with HIT rounds, and i haven't yet felt a need to unload/reload.  Also, what is the algorithm for choosing ammo when you click the 'reload' button?  Will the round with the lowest number of TU to take out be used, or does it just go by ammo type??

vadim

Re: Alternate Ammo?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:47:45 pm »
Is it worthwhile for a soldier carrying a Grenade Launcher or Rocket Launcher to carry Flechette/IC rounds?  By default these both are loaded with HIT rounds, and i haven't yet felt a need to unload/reload. 
Very worth it, flechette shoots straight, unlike the IC/HIT that go in an arc, does more damage though at shorter distance, and doesn't damage yourself when used at near range.

You can load the weapon with the desired ammo in the equipment screen, then you won't have to load it during combat.

I give a grendade launcher to multiple people and have them use different ammo for best flexibility.

Also research the PB rounds later, those are like the HIT ones but more damaging. I find the grenade launcher is a great weapon through the whole game, as it's always available, does good damage, can sometimes reach places no other weapon can, and can kill groups of aliens that are stupidly standing all together. Only problem is the lack of reach but the rest compensates for it.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 04:14:16 am »
So not much use for IC, then?

ufogio

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 09:41:08 pm »
It depends. Remember that flechettes use the heavy weapons skill while standard granades use explosives, so it depends on how much the soldier is good at using heavy weapons.

Captain Bipto

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 12:22:12 am »
Oh Yeah I nearly always end up loading Flechette ammo once a battle.  I don't bother giving my nade dude a side arm because of the flechettes.  I also heartily agree that the grenade launcher is probably one of the most useful, if not the most useful heavy weapon in the game.  Got an alien standing by a window sniping at eurotrash civilians? Switch your view up one level and nade the hell out of the roof above the bad guy BOOM...kibbles and bits.

Plasma Grenades, hmmm.

Now they just need to implement Gas Grenades for the launcher and I'll be in heaven. As my contribution to nade Gas Grenades, I vote they come in a nice pink color.