project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Incendiary Rocket  (Read 15043 times)

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
Incendiary Rocket
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 12:15:53 am »
Hello ajveach!

We miss you (and your models:-)! I see Blender 2.42 is released (and even a bug-fix Blender 2.42a). Have you tried exporting to md2 with Blender 2.42a? Perhaps it will just work? (And don't worry about texture paths, they can be set easily with src/tools/md2.pl or by hand.)

If it fails then just, after creating the md2 model in blender, import your model into 3DS max and export to md2 again, as mattn says. The you should be able to see the model in game (even if wityout textures, if the paths are wrong). Remember to name the rocket rpg_ammo.md2 to see it in ufopedia, and to name it rocket.md2 to see it on the battlefield...

P.S. RC4 is close. It will be relatively stable and cool and it would be nice if your rocket could get in-game in time... :)

ajveach

Incendiary Rocket
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 05:39:13 pm »
Hey again,

Sorry I've been so absent. I did a little bit with the model recently, but I've been moving for the last week or so, so the computers and internet have been all over the place.

I imported it and exported it through 3ds and it's not broken now, but there is no texture still. I'm just going to upload them both to sourceforge later today and post a message here for you guys. That would be amazing if it was finished up for RC4. Then I could put another set of models together for the next release.

Thanks,
-Anthony

UPDATE: The model and texture are now up on sourceforge.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
Incendiary Rocket
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 01:13:25 am »
Quote from: "ajveach"
I imported it and exported it through 3ds and it's not broken now, but there is no texture still.

I've got it through sourceforge and it looks great in game but, guess what, I cannot put the texture in, neither by hand nor with the perl script. :(

In the broken model there was a texture path, wrong, but present, so I could correct it. Here there is none...

Could you try some other method and upload your results to sf? Thanks! :)

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
Incendiary Rocket
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 02:39:03 pm »
OK. Mattn helped and now the model works in game. The scull is great. :) See patch 1532361...

Unfortunately, I cannot get the rocket to draw nicely on the battlescape. The smoke obscures the whole model, or perhaps the scale is different than for the High-explosive rocket? No clue...

Some random remarks: The model and texture are quite large in terms of file size. I wonder why... The rocket looks somewhat shorter and more bulky than the High-Explosive rocket. It still seems to fit the launcher, so this is not a problem. However, it looks also some more like a bomb, or a nuclear guided missile than a bazooka rocket. But I know nothing about weapons... One more nitpick --- there is no hole in the bottom of the rocket, it seems sealed off. :)

Waiting for more --- especially the other incendiary stuff made in a similar style...

ajveach

Incendiary Rocket
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 07:41:43 pm »
Just saw that you guys managed to pull this off as I was reexporting from blender using a different script. Great news!

Does the particle effect generate from the center/pivot point of the object? I have that set to the center of the bounding box at the moment, but I can move that to the tail end of the rocket.

I'll do some work to try and shrink the texture file, but I don't really have any ideas at the moment on the deal with the model file size. I thought I had kept to the right amount of tris, but I'll play around with it a little to see what I can do.

As for the hole, I'll take care of that. The general idea for the rocket is actually something I got here:

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app4/m74rocket.html

Would going a little slimmer like in that image be best?

-Anthony

EDIT: New texture posted on sourceforge. Down to 16KB from 67KB and gave the model a textured exaust hole. I still can't believe I missed that throughout the whole process.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
Incendiary Rocket
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 10:45:04 pm »
Please compare the two models for High-explosive rocket to see where the particles should start. The one used for particles is rocket.md2. For some reason two models are used, one for ufopedia and carrying, one for particles...

HaJo

Incendiary Rocket
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 04:19:43 pm »
Is that new model of the incendiary rocket ready yet ?
In xdelta/svn2359, no new models have appeared.

Quote from: "HaJo"
* same picture for all the rockets, grenade-shells, and normal/heavy laser

To fill in these gaps, I created some artwork for the RPG-ammo
(Incendiary Rocket and Tachyon-Beam Rocket),
and grenadelauncher-ammo (Plasma Grenade Shells)
as simple paintjobs on the original models / pictures.

At least, you can see the difference in the inventory-screens
with these models now (and it works in-game, too).

Posted as issue 1535981 on sf.net, see
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1535981&group_id=157793&atid=805242

ajveach

Incendiary Rocket
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 11:54:18 pm »
Hey everybody, I'm finally back!

I got back just in time to start a new job and a new semester, but now that things are getting routine I'll be getting back to the 3d models. Bandobras, can you give me a quick update or point me in the direction of what would be most beneficial at the moment?

Thanks,
-Anthony

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
Incendiary Rocket
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 02:21:17 am »
Welcome back. First, try RC4 with your model included. :) Then, I think, all we talked about here and in the patch tracker is valid. There are also some new threads about modelling and "broken models", so perhaps you'll have somewhat easier work this time...