project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: X-Com veteran's initial impressions...  (Read 9089 times)

jeric

Re: X-Com veteran's initial impressions...
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 05:16:25 pm »
Here is my simple analogy. Old X-COM was a tastie hamburger.New version is like a Whopper with cheese. Please super size my order asap.

Knathrek

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 08:42:52 pm »

The thing that always bothered me about X-Com games is the way they end. If an alien race was trying to wipe us out I don't think that the governments of the world would suddenly stop funding the only defense we had against them just because 100 civilians died. In fiction novels and movies of this type you often see Earth's military fighting until the last city is lost. It would be COOL (though I don't expect this) if you could actually lose parts of the planet to the aliens and thus funding and resources. You'd be able to take these places back (sort of like an alien base mission) but it'd be difficult and time consuming. Though the loss of civilians poses an easy scoring system in the game... I just don't buy it. In a war for humanities survival, a handful of people are highly expendable.
[/quote]

** Not true, although i can see why you would think so, you should remember that in all x-com games the aliens never just went around nuking cities and such, they always had planes for humanity and what to do with us, when you lost funding from a country it was because they were Angry you couldn't get results and the allied themselves with the aliens.
If you remember in Apocalypse then actually Infeltrated the various Groups in the city and you lost funding and standing due to it.
So it would be REASONABLE enough to Cut X-com funding if they don't get results and things done, Countries can always give money to a different Agency or Each country decides to act alone after X-com fails.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 04:04:14 pm »
The difference to full-scale war is that the aliens do not come with many ships. They try to be sneaky and corrupt governments and stuff.

The soldiers should be more thought of as warriors that are specifically trained to combat aliens (remember the psi powers they had in the original, i dont think every human having psi powers is "normal" ;-) )

Offline keybounce

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 07:02:02 pm »
Actually, as far as the ending goes, one thing that I really hated about XCom 1's ending was the mars mission.

You got one -- only one -- chance. If your first base assault on mars failed, you got "Game over". Not back to your base, and try again later.

And please, please, make sure that Mar's interior walls are strong enough that a blaster bomb can't destroy it. A setup where you walk down a long hallway, into an exposed area, where mind-controlling aliens are going to make your guys fight each other is a great idea. But blowing a hole in the roof of that hallway, sending one person up to look around (and "light up" the room), and sending another blast up and into the computer is totally anti-climatic.

Yes, I did that in one turn. The "final room" was so different from the rest of the base that it was obviously the ending.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 07:08:41 pm »
Keybounce, our game isn't X-COM. Our final mission won't be on Mars. We don't have blaster bombs. And walls are indestructible most of the time anyway.