project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Italian translation  (Read 41475 times)

FrancoC

Italian translation
« on: February 18, 2008, 01:14:27 pm »
This topic is intended to coordinate the efforts for the italian translation of the game.
Currently two persons are going to work on this stuff: FrancoC (me) and Ufogio.
I'm not aware of anyone else working on this too, nobody replyed to my request in the post from Discussion forum (http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=3.0)
If anyone is also working on italian translation please let us know an be welcome.

This topic will be in english language exept when "really needed" for translation purposes.

@moderators: I created the topic here in Coding section, if you feel this belongs elsewhere in the forum move it at your convenience :)

Edit: looking back to my own posts, this topic will be in poor english language.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 04:45:47 pm by FrancoC »

FrancoC

Re: Italian translation
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 01:20:32 pm »
Ufogio, can you briefly update me about the status of 2.3 translation?
I didn't even try to compile from SVN yet and know only about 2.2 or what is on Wiki.

I see that in 2.2 some text need translation, others need to be fixed as they overlap the graphics.
Also in Wiki a quick look shows that there are many strings to be translated.

FrancoC

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 01:50:03 pm »
Help with Wiki.

I'm new to editing wiki articles, if I want to change the name of a certain item, do I have to edit this page?
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/List_of_msgid/Equipment

How does wiki manage the editing of the same page by two cuncurrent users? Do I have to take any precaution?

FrancoC

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 04:42:15 pm »
Ufogio, I was thinking that "some" work was needed but looking at the PO source I got scarred :)
It contains many many of this kind of translations:

msgid "Show chat history"
msgstr "Mostra armature nel magazzino" :o

msgid "Produce aircraft"
msgstr "Squadra libera precedente"  :o :o :o

So not only we will have to deal with usual problem that the translation requires often a longer string but a major correction is really needed! It will be a loooong and haaaaard work  ;D

ufogio

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 01:18:56 am »
Hi!!
ok, let's do it, in english :)
I don't know who made the first translation, neither if he still follows the game.
You say there are errors in the actual translation... too bad :( :( :(
But I can have a look at the po file tomorrow.

Ufogio, can you briefly update me about the status of 2.3 translation?
I didn't even try to compile from SVN yet and know only about 2.2 or what is on Wiki.
At the moment there are a few problems with the svn, so it is very difficult to play (there is a mission with 17 aliens, moreover you can't load games).
I will tell you when it is working.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 09:02:50 am »
At the moment there are a few problems with the svn, so it is very difficult to play (there is a mission with 17 aliens, moreover you can't load games).
I will tell you when it is working.

Will take some days until we fully fixed the new campaign system - but we are working on this

ufogio

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 12:15:06 pm »
Will take some days until we fully fixed the new campaign system - but we are working on this
Thanks... it's not a problem for the translation.
I didn't post any bug report because I thought you already know: in any case, the first mission is 'excavation06d' instead of tabelbala and it has 17 aliens instead of 8, and savegames don't work.

ufogio

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 01:14:25 pm »
Ufogio, I was thinking that "some" work was needed but looking at the PO source I got scarred Smiley
It contains many many of this kind of translations:
ok, I've had a look at the po files.
I don't have much experience with translations...but I think I can do it.
How can we organize ourselves? Which part do you want to translate?

FrancoC

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 02:01:47 pm »
I'm not an expert in translations too, I was thinking to a sort of general rules to follow so to have the translation consistent. That could be harder because we are two working on the same subject.
I'm not a linguist, hope it make sense what I'm going to write.

My first thought is in using or omitting prepositions, articles and so on.
I will explain with examples: "Richiama velivolo" or "Richiama il velivolo" the latter should be the best translation as it follow the grammar rules, the former would be more appropriate in a game interface specially when you have to deal with limited space over buttons or graphic elements.

Second, I think we should agree on some translations, I have to say I don't like "velivolo" as for "aircraft", it could be the best literal translation but I feel is not a term to be used in a game, some of these terms are very frequent.

Third there are some words that who worked before on translation may have find diffult (ie: "slot" I don't know how can be transl.), others I'm thinking to leave in english ie: "deathmatch" I won't translate it.
These we can decide when we encounter, but on first two points I believe we should agree before start.

FrancoC

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 02:26:17 pm »
Mattn, or any other developer, please can you confirm that translation should be done in wiki?
How are we supposed to work?

I read on wiki :
"In general one can say the ufopedia stuff is translated in the wiki (the majority of the texts) and the menu strings are translated in the po files."

is the following the right method?
1 We translate in wiki
2 wiki is exported to PO
3 we fix in PO what is left

Sorry to bother, I want to be shure that neither we or you will waste some work.

Please can someone also reply to this?
I'm new to editing wiki articles, if I want to change the name of a certain item, do I have to edit this page?
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/List_of_msgid/Equipment

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 02:47:38 pm »
1 We translate in wiki
2 wiki is exported to PO
3 we fix in PO what is left

1 You translate in the wiki
2 You translate every string that isn't in the form *_txt in the po file (and submit it via the patch tracker)

We (one of the devs) will sync the po files from time to time with the wiki (you can also request this if you've made a lot of new articles and want to test them in-game)

FrancoC

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 06:29:55 pm »
Thanks Mattn

ufogio

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 12:40:10 pm »
Maybe we can translate some articles together to see how it should be made, and then to the rest alone.

Let's start with the command center, ok?
- http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Base_Facilities/Command_Center [original english]
- http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php?title=Infrastrutture/Quartier_Generale&action=edit [italiano]

My username on the wiki is ufogio.

FrancoC

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 01:47:48 pm »
Ok, mine is FrancoC :)

BTW: my real name is Franco, what is yours?

I started to translate the very first sentences in report, the following is useful for me also to keep track of what to do (or not to do)

1. I copied the source from english version, so to have the original format (including the image)
2. I briefly read all text to understand the tone, is he alarmed? entusiast? or simply drunk :)
3. I tried to follow the original text but choose to be not too literal, an italian drunk doesn't write as an english one.
3. I left some comments on the page, those in square brackets [] are optional, the ones in parentesis () are comments or doubts.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 01:51:39 pm by FrancoC »

ufogio

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 02:37:56 pm »
My name is Giovanni :). I'm writing from Bologna.

I've changed a few lines in your translation and tried to translate a few more paragraph.
Please, have a look to see if you like them.

My translations changes a little the sense of the report, but I think it is a bit better.

1. I copied the source from english version, so to have the original format (including the image)
ok.

2. I briefly read all text to understand the tone, is he alarmed? entusiast? or simply drunk Smiley
It is drunk in the first paragraph, more serious in the other ones.

3. I tried to follow the original text but choose to be not too literal, an italian drunk doesn't write as an english one.
Yes.. I agree.

(continues in next post)