project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: various Visual Identities make a world convincing  (Read 26819 times)

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
various Visual Identities make a world convincing
« on: February 09, 2008, 07:55:16 am »
On of the things that helps make an imaginary world look real, are the various symbols, logos, for companies, nations, signs, etc. in use as part of every day life.  I thought it would be interesting to develop some.

I'm starting with flags for the national blocs.  Don't know exactly where they will be used, but opportunities should arise, if they are available.  All this flags are at least a partly original, and should more or less be guessable, if you know the backstory.

Africa: self explanatory.

Asia: Most Asian flags have some sort of sun symbol, and use red.  I did both in a way IMHO that feels Asian.

Europe: a modest evolution of the EU flag.

Islamic Union: Using the colors of many Arab flags, it's reminiscent of the flag of "Organization of the Islamic Conference" and the colonial flag of Arab Revolt.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: various Visual Identities make a world convincing
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 08:02:01 am »
North America: obvious

Oceania: a monstrous frankenstining of some of the major flags of this national bloc, however it's hard to believe that one of these blocs wouldn't have a committee that came up with an unwieldy flag.  The Southern Cross is still prominently displayed, as is appropriate for these nations.

Russia:  mostly the same.  added a star... because.

South America:  A revolutionary looking design using colors in most south american flags.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 08:09:26 am »
also refined medic symbol.

I've created all these as SVGs, so they can be scaled and used in any situation.  I'd recommend creating a folder in the trunk somewhere for graphics like these that aren't used directly by the game but are useful for creating various in-game content.

Other useful symbols/logos (which i haven't made yet):
    * a PHALANX symbol
    * symbols for a few multinational conglomerates (fictional)
    * biohazard
    * warning: deadly stuff
    * top secret
    * cryptic symbols found on alien stuff
    * ranks (currently low res pixel in trunk)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 12:14:36 pm »
Great job on the flags. I like.

Note that we don't have an "Islamic Union", it's the "Middle-Eastern Alliance". Flag still works for me, though.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 01:03:15 pm »
Wow, that's some damned nice work. The only two I don't love at first sight are the America and Oceania flags. The America one just doesn't work, in my opinion, and there are far too many countries in Oceania to be able to make a coherent combination flag.

By the way, we already have a PHALANX symbol of sorts -- it's in SVN somewhere, crossed golden spears over a gold circle.

Regards,
Winter

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 01:13:59 pm »
I'd recommend creating a folder in the trunk somewhere for graphics like these that aren't used directly by the game but are useful for creating various in-game content.

We have this. It's the data_source branch. SVN path:
https://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ufoai/ufoai/data_source

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 01:14:54 pm »
I've created all these as SVGs, so they can be scaled and used in any situation.  I'd recommend creating a folder in the trunk somewhere for graphics like these that aren't used directly by the game but are useful for creating various in-game content.

It already exists: see http://ufo.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai/ufoai/data_source/

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 07:32:03 pm »
We have this. It's the data_source branch. SVN path:
https://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ufoai/ufoai/data_source

Ah, i missed that.

Wow, that's some damned nice work. The only two I don't love at first sight are the America and Oceania flags. The America one just doesn't work, in my opinion, and there are far too many countries in Oceania to be able to make a coherent combination flag.

The North America flag seems pretty clever to me (i can say that 'cause i got the idea elsewhere), a little over-complex, but highly reminiscent of all 3 flags.

But you're right about Oceania.  I can't stand it today either.

New Oceania flag:  The big star is know as the "star of commonwealth" in the Australian and NZ flags.  The vertical bars represent "diversity" (displaying most of the colors in commonwealth flags), and the constellation still represents the "southern cross".

By the way, we already have a PHALANX symbol of sorts -- it's in SVN somewhere, crossed golden spears over a gold circle.

Ok, i wondered what that was for... but really it's looks like a medal.  It's not really graphic enough to be used as an insignia.  Perhaps a more graphic version of that concept.

sirg

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 08:29:06 pm »
I love most of the flag proposed here

I like Africa and Asia best, and the simpler Oceania flag with the South Cross

The GEU flag should stay the same as the current one, because the 12 stars represent unity and completion (see the significance of the number 12)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 08:51:55 pm »
There are 12 stars in the ring, and the one in the center is a different size, so it's clear it's not part of the 12. I think the symbolism is adequately preserved. The star in the center could well symbolize something else. More importantly, I think it's a good thing to use a different flag, because it enhances the feeling that this is 80 years in the future.

Surrealistik

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 09:20:32 pm »
I'm generally in agreement with Winter on the flags, the North American one especially. It's overcomplex and clashing. Red and white should probably be the focal colours, as these two are common to all three member nations.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 10:31:24 pm »
More importantly, I think it's a good thing to use a different flag, because it enhances the feeling that this is 80 years in the future.

Yeah, part of my reasoning.  Also those with strong -/+ feelings toward the actual political bodies can more readily take a step back, since we're not talking about the real EU, but only something similar.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 11:20:18 pm »
I think the GEU flag is one of the cleverest of the lot, a very subtle but effective change. My only gripe is that the colours seem ever so slightly off from the current EU flag.

I'm happy with the new Oceania one, although I'd be even happier if you reduced the number of coloured bands on the left.

Will you give the American one another go at any point?

Regards,
Winter

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 12:10:42 am »
I'm happy with the new Oceania one, although I'd be even happier if you reduced the number of coloured bands on the left.

Will you give the American one another go at any point?

For Oceania, simpler is better.

As i was bathing and trimming the dogs, i turned North America over in my mind.  Here's a more streamlined version.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 12:43:56 am »
Yeah, I'm a lot happier with these new ones. Nice work.

I'd be open to a reworked PHALANX logo, myself, ideally with some matching text over it or below it.

Regards,
Winter