project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Usage of Red Cross symbol  (Read 19430 times)

sirg

Re: Usage of Red Cross symbol
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2008, 11:53:32 pm »

The combat troops don't wear any insignia, and medical personal don't go on the battle field.

However if there were a practical way to put insignia on the troops (perhaps on the shoulders)

This argument isn't based on what happens in the game - I explained why the red cross has a white background. In real warfare, it's quite hard to tell which insignia is which from afar. That's why the red cross' tents are white, and that's why the field medics wear a white helmet and white markings on their military uniform (if any).
If you were a neutral medical organization, going in the battlefield, you wouldn't want that your flag and symbol to be confused with a combatant one.

I vote for the red diamond.

Jabrwock

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2008, 02:01:50 am »
I vote for the red diamond.
Unfortunately, I believe the Red Diamond (aka Crystal) is an equally protected symbol. It was adopted in 2005 so the Israelis would have a symbol they could use in Palestine (because the "Red Shield of David" was not an officially recognized symbol, and therefore didn't offer the protections of the Geneva Conventions...)

Perhaps I'll try getting in touch with the Canadian Red Cross, and see if they have any ideas. They must have gotten "well then what DO we use" questions about this...

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2008, 04:54:02 am »
Perhaps I'll try getting in touch with the Canadian Red Cross, and see if they have any ideas. They must have gotten "well then what DO we use" questions about this...

You can if you wish, but in spite of the continuing discussion, it's not a problem. 
i made something up that works but doesn't infringe, and have already replaced the files in trunk.  (unless i missed one.)

Starship_Yard

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2008, 05:08:16 pm »
A discussion like this was recently had at another SF art site.  The eventual conclusion was:  Most ambulances in North America and in many other countries use the "Star of Life" which is basically a star made out of three crossed bars with the "staff and snake" overlaid.  Most commonly blue, it does appear in other colours as well (maroon was mentioned).  You can just barely see it on the side of the ambulance in this picture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ambulancebroomfieldhospital.jpg

Brett

Sai

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2008, 06:04:05 pm »
I'm pretty sure that the symbol of the red cross has transcended into more than just a corporate logo, and is recognized as a symbol for medic items. I don't think this is a bad thing, nor that they want or can do much about it.

Offline Silveressa

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2008, 12:52:36 pm »
Aye, it's strange they're so concerned about the usage of their icon as one for life saving medical items, (It's not like it's some kind of bad PR having their symbol being associated with life saving medical supplies) one would think the Red Cross would have higher priorities on their agenda then this petty legal mumbo jumbo.

I do like the new symbol suggestion though with the red and white reversed, still conveys the same message as the original and looks just as good.

Jabrwock

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2008, 02:00:25 am »
I'm pretty sure that the symbol of the red cross has transcended into more than just a corporate logo, and is recognized as a symbol for medic items. I don't think this is a bad thing, nor that they want or can do much about it.
It's not a corporate logo though. It's legally equivalent to a country's flag, in international law anyway. There are individual not-for-profit "companies" allowed to be set up in each country, but they are heavily restricted in their charters.
Aye, it's strange they're so concerned about the usage of their icon as one for life saving medical items, (It's not like it's some kind of bad PR having their symbol being associated with life saving medical supplies) one would think the Red Cross would have higher priorities on their agenda then this petty legal mumbo jumbo.
I think part of the problem was that the symbol was being used by "for-profit" groups (like first-aid kit manufacturers). So they decided to politely remind people that the Geneva convention says that it can only be used either on military medical gear, or on free hospitals (so I imagine most US ones wouldn't qualify...).

As for why they bother... it's not like a patent. If you don't defend a trademark, you lose it. Granted this is kind of different in that the original trademark was set out by international law, not a trademark registry, but the principle is the same. If they don't go after people, it sets a legal precedent, so they'll have a harder time fighting someone who's abusing the symbol.

I don't believe they've sued anyone to date, because every company who's gotten a letter (that I know of) has adjusted their symbols to comply...

BeforeYouDie

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 05:57:26 pm »
This is the symbol he's talking about

and I think this would work well as well