project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Usage of Red Cross symbol  (Read 19423 times)

Offline TroubleMaker

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Usage of Red Cross symbol
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 04:57:06 am »
eleazar's work inspirations

"medicina militaris" is in scalable wmf format
"cross1" in png with transparent corners

drawn in OpenOffice Draw, released as Public Domain, usage is unrestricted

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 12:38:33 pm »
I like eleazar's version quite a lot.

sirg

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 01:31:43 pm »
I think the diamond symbol is the best because it doesn't relate to any religious symbol, such as the cross, crescent, star of david, etc. It's very easy to distinguish and it's aproved by the Geneva convention. The diamond also unifies the red cross organizations regardless of faith.. so it's a good idea for an unified world.

Offline TroubleMaker

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 01:59:09 pm »
The diamond also unifies the red cross organizations regardless of faith.. so it's a good idea for an unified world.
OK, OK! But how many people knows about it?
This forum was the place where I got to know about the RD.

I think, the special note should be made in UFOpaedia under the picture of medikit, short explanation, why does it have RD symbol instead of red cross/crescent. That note should not tell about any legalese things, but exactly about the world united.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 02:04:01 pm »
No, I think it's best to use a symbol that needs no explanation. The Red Diamond does, so it's not a good symbol in my opinion.

sirg

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 02:44:05 pm »
At the moment medics have a red diamond symbol in the hire screen... so it's quite obvious. For a muslim or jew, the red cross doesn't mean anything or implies something related to Christianity (even if it's a Swiss symbol), because they are used with crescent or star of david... so you can't please anyone, but with the red diamond you can.. and it's more likely that the red diamond will be adopted by all sanitary organizations because of the neutrality of the symbol.

Anyway tbh, this issue is of very little importance for a computer game. You aren't using Microsoft's logo, or something like that. :)

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 10:31:11 pm »
At the moment medics have a red diamond symbol in the hire screen... so it's quite obvious.

Well, now the same "white cross" is used in all instances, so it's really obvious.

Offline TroubleMaker

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 03:01:22 am »
At the moment medics have a red diamond symbol in the hire screen... so it's quite obvious.
Hmm... you're right. I recall that I was wondering "why the doctors hire screen marked with diamond, not with red cross". I thought that is a specific emblem for X-Com's medic corpse, not the official RC&RC org's logo.

But there we ran into dilemma: either take the RD without any explanations (and "recruit" more misunderstanders, who will think about RD as about "X-Com medicorpse emblem"), either make the corresponding note in UFOpaedia in the "Medikit" entry.

As all of participants could see, my English is imperfect, then I'll try, but results may be worster than I intended them to be.

The United World still had have religious differences between different cultures. And the Medic Corpses of international organizations' armed forces, like UN peacemakers or X-Com, adopted the very neutral symbol of Red Crystal as an emblem of theirs. That symbol was approved on Geneva conference at December 7, 2005. Details are available in United Earth's WIKIpaedia.

Because of international nature of X-Com, I'll suggest to adopt the second rule of Red Crystal usage:

For indicative use on foreign territory, a national society which does not use one of the recognized symbols as its emblem has to incorporate its unique symbol into the Red Crystal, based on the previously mentioned condition about communicating its unique symbol to the state parties of the Geneva Conventions.

So, the official X-Com MC's emblem MAY look like "Red Crystal with embedded X-Com logo".
The artwork based on pics/ranks/rank-1.jpg

[attachment deleted by admin]

sirg

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 06:28:25 pm »
Red on green background looks awful, really.

And I don't see why the sign has to be obvious to a noninitiate player, because after a few minutes in the hire screen or ufopedia, the player will know what's that symbol about. The military rank symbols are much more cryptic than the red diamond, and I would like to address that too...

Ranks should be simple, using stars and stripes, or dots, and maybe silver/gold color to separate enlisted from the officers. Besides, something like NATO standards should be used in naming the ranks... rifleman sounds odd, not all are wearing a rifle. I think private or cadet would be much better.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 07:49:25 pm »
The military rank symbols are much more cryptic than the red diamond, and I would like to address that too...

Ranks should be simple, using stars and stripes, or dots, and maybe silver/gold color to separate enlisted from the officers.

Glancing through the ranks graphics, they didn't make much sense to me.  But i'm not a hard-core military buff, and haven't thought of an alternative.

If you want to make a new thread, and come up with an agreeable concept, i can make it pretty.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 07:54:35 pm »
This is still PHALANX, though, not the army. It would be nice if the PHALANX logo were part of the rank graphics, in some way or other.

sirg

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2008, 08:03:20 pm »
An other thought regarding the red cross symbol - it has to be on white, to be distinct from the other colors worn by combat troops, like green/blue and so on.. so the green background isn't a good choice.

What is the PHALANX logo? (sorry if it's a silly question)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 08:06:56 pm »
See http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2231.msg13340#msg13340

Eleazar hinted at a possible redesign of the logo, so let's see what happens to that.

sirg

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2008, 08:24:51 pm »
I can help with logos and flags

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2008, 10:41:50 pm »
..., to be distinct from the other colors worn by combat troops, like green/blue and so on...

The combat troops don't wear any insignia, and medical personal don't go on the battle field.

However if there were a practical way to put insignia on the troops (perhaps on the shoulders)