project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: As capturing aliens living (with that weapon)  (Read 21684 times)

Offline Ogmios

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
As capturing aliens living (with that weapon)
« on: February 03, 2008, 03:15:28 pm »
I would like to know how to capture the aliens with life because I do not see any weapon that the freeze...

The game is excellent

Tnks

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 03:27:18 pm by Ogmios »

Offline tobbe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: As capturing aliens living (with that weapon)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 03:55:12 pm »
I would like to know how to capture the aliens with life because I do not see any weapon that the freeze...

The game is excellent

Tnks

Just be patient. You need to research all three alien autopsies and alien breathing apparatus. You will then be able to research your first weapon with stun: stun rod. Using stunrods will allow to capture aliens alive. Stun grenades will also do the job, but the come later (after the research Life alien). Hope this helps.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 03:43:49 pm »
Maybe the melee discussion could be included to have a chance to stun/"cripple" an alien with a melee weapon (so he can be captured)? I'd imagine that a strong hit on the head might stun an alien, even with a sword (if it doesnt cut through the head that is :D )

nemchenk

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 06:23:24 pm »
I've never thought of a sword as a non-lethal weapon...  ::)  ;D

SpartanMarine88

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 04:13:46 am »
I agree with the sword argument, or knife for that fact but instead of having him knocked out call it mortally wounded and you have X turns to get it back to base before the alien succumbs to vital fluid loss

bobbens

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 07:46:27 pm »
You only need to research one autopsy to have access to researching alien breathing.  If you haven't researched alien breathing yet, you cannot keep live aliens (how do they breathe silly?).  So the idea of being able to cripple capture aliens wouldn't have much ingame use, and seems sort of silly.  Current system is fine imho.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 07:39:40 am »
Current system is fine imho.

Well it is somewhat silly that in the first few missions you can demoralize the aliens enough that they drop their weapons and just mope, yet you can't capture them...

Robbos

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 07:56:12 am »
Yeah. it would make sense that if they surrender you can capture them still, but they die quickly because their rebreather ran out.

Offline simulatoralive

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 04:09:23 pm »
I'd suggest allowing the captured aliens to be flown home, but they die within a few hours and have a mail message appear from the DivBio guy saying that they were unable to keep them alive, suggesting an autopsy might reveal what's required to keep them longer...

Robbos

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 01:26:38 am »
I'd suggest allowing the captured aliens to be flown home, but they die within a few hours and have a mail message appear from the DivBio guy saying that they were unable to keep them alive, suggesting an autopsy might reveal what's required to keep them longer...

Errr thats exactly what i basicly said

Offline simulatoralive

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 04:58:21 pm »
I was elaborating on the idea a bit.  Fleshing it out.  That kind of thing.

Robbos

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 01:38:07 am »
In the original game gun shots had a low (its was like 15%) chance to stun instead of kill the target. i hope that comes back.

I also hope the alien stun bomb gun makes a cameo, because that made knocking out a alien much easier.

Another suggestion is after doing a autopsy on certain aliens you can discover a way to knock out certain creatures with guns meant specificly for them

Like a neural inhibiter darts for Taman that overloads their brain cells and puts them in a five day coma. Or EMP grenades to shut off a bloodspider. or later on in the game, a gun that shoots out a energy bola that will tie up Taman and Sheevars for a good while.

Offline VoxDissident

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 02:21:57 am »
An energy bola is a little too sci-fi for me, since I can't see how this would work in terms of physics, and a regular bola would obviously be ripped off by these aliens, since they tend to be bigger and stronger that human beings.

However, I like the idea of having lethal weapons occasionally rendering enemies unconscious/in shock, rather than having them always kill. This way, you could recover dying aliens, help them recover, and then do your interrogations/studies.

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 02:23:06 pm »
The plasma blade description (that thing looking like an ice cream with one hit kill and one charge) has something about rapidly hardening polymer- how about grenades/rifle that would cast such a polymer to catch an alien in a sort of cocoon? If its as hard as its suggested by the description even ortonok in powered armor would not be able to get free
Of course you would have to research those plasma blades and the polymer itself before using it anywhere.

A stunning gas grenades for the launcher would also be nice.

Strong electric discharge should be enough to stun any alien, as strong electric impulse are already used my security forces to "calm down" some angry folks;) The electric stun has a short duration- lets say 5 turns to end a mission.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 07:52:27 pm »
well, stun rods are in the game already.  zzzzzz!

the gas grenades for the GL - I'm a huge fan of the idea.  would give the weapon a new lease on life, far as I am concerned.