project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: PHALANX soldiers look a bit too stocky  (Read 4226 times)

Ildamos

PHALANX soldiers look a bit too stocky
« on: May 22, 2009, 07:01:37 am »
I'm not a 3D modeler nor am I a pro at human anatomy but I don't know maybe it's just me but ingame, the PHALANX soldiers look a bit too stocky.

This looks good: http://ufoai.ninex.info/gallery/game-characters/player003.jpg.php

but here, the first one, looks like the head is too small, the third pose looks A-OK, but the middle shot looks like he's a kid: http://ufoai.ninex.info/gallery/game-characters/player002.jpg.php

And I don't know if it's me but ingame in the "equip" screen, they look compressed. There I think their necks are too short and they dangerously border on chibi-ness. It doesn't bother me in the battle maps though (because I think the top-down view all but hides any height problems).

I can't help you guys with this as I don't have knowledge of 3D modeling but perhaps one or two of you can look into this matter in future builds.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: PHALANX soldiers look a bit too stocky
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 02:01:26 pm »
Isn't Destructavator already working on this? IIRC he is making a new model.

Offline thunktone

• Rookie
    • View Profile

Ildamos

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 08:45:28 pm »
Ah. Thanks for the heads up.

(Tut. Saw that thread some weeks back and forgot about it. 'Must lay off the coffee.)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 12:51:08 am »
Yes, I've actually made some more progress on it that I haven't uploaded screenshots of yet, but I've temporarily throttled it back a bit to work on SFX such as footsteps and gunshots.

One bit of progress I'm a bit proud of is I learned how to properly bake texture materials onto models for a proper final texture, as well as getting the seams right, something I first accomplished with the combat helicopter I showed off in the off-topic area.  (Before I learned how to do this the camouflage looked like crap because sections didn't have the texture line up right, and the UVs didn't come out properly.)

I've also been busy this past week with life, but I'm expecting to have time this weekend to contribute more on these things.

Ildamos

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 12:59:25 am »
Although I don't understand any of the 3D jargon, your post bodes well for this project. Thanks man! The models were bugging me for months now.  ;D (They look ok in the Media section though, which makes it weird.)