project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Atmospheric glow around the earth  (Read 3675 times)

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Atmospheric glow around the earth
« on: January 26, 2008, 10:08:24 pm »
I have redone the atmospheric layer which is placed over the globe.  This should make appear more realistic.
www.jwbjerk.com/dl/ufo/map_background.tga

This is intended to layer over the globe, to provide the realistic hazing near the horizon.  I'm not sure if that's the way it currently works or not.

I haven't been able to test it because i'm not quite sure how to re-zip the pk3 files so that the game accepts them.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Atmospheric glow around the earth
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 02:48:07 am »
The game is picky for some reason about what program you use to re-zip the pk3 files.  I've found from experience that the one built-in to windows xp works fine, but 7zip and others do not.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 03:21:23 am »
...the one built-in to windows xp works fine...

Thanks, but i have a mac.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 05:10:31 pm »
Congratulations, those are nice computers, I wish I had one myself but unfortunately can't afford one.

Regarding the pk3 files, I don't know off-hand what programs are available for macs that can make zip files, I'm afraid the only advice I can give is to try different compression settings until you can match the exact same format as the original pk3.  I realize that probably isn't much help, but being only barely familiar with how to operate a mac and (unhappily) not owning one I'm not in a good position to offer more advice for you.

I know a guy I see once in a while who does own a mac though, and he actually multi-boots his machines with various types of linux and sometimes even windows, and does all kind of crazy, advanced stuff with his gear.  He's a musician though, I don't know if he's into gaming at all but I'll see if I can get a reply from him at some point, although it may take a while...

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 07:03:32 pm »
Regarding the pk3 files, I don't know off-hand what programs are available for macs that can make zip files

thanks. but in another thread it was explained that it's not necessary to recompress the files.

Anyway the file doesn't work as intended.  please ignore it for now.