project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Damage dealing formula in 2.2  (Read 4780 times)

Woreczko

Damage dealing formula in 2.2
« on: January 23, 2008, 08:19:51 pm »
It`s me, once again. I heard rumours, that armours work differently in 2.2 (in comparison to 2.1). You have introduced a factor called dmg_weight, which, I guess, modifies damage dealt beyond simple % of damage reduction. Question is, how does it exactly work?

I perused the svn, but to be honest I`m too dumb, to understand combat mechanics scripts :-\

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Damage dealing formula in 2.2
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:01:54 pm »
See http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Gameplay_Proposals/Armour

All you need to know is that you need to match the values of the corresponding dmgweights, and that the minimum damage per successful shot is 1.

Offline tobbe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 09:34:22 pm »
Some further informations:

The heavier the weapon is (heavy weapons > assault > secondary), the less effective armour normally is.
e.g. alien armor protection vs. normal_light

If you are really curious, extract the 0ufo.pk3 file and open the armour.ufo file with an editor. All protective values are listed there (and can even be modified...i changed for some testa some armour values to 200, granting effective immunity vs. that kind of damage  ;D)

Woreczko

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 11:03:02 pm »
May you live long and prosper :)

Nevertheless, I will inquire you futher: does kind of entity, being fired upon, makes any difference? I.e: are some aliens more/less resistant to various kinds of damage in comparison to the "standart humans"?
And, by the way, where can I find files governing stats (strenght, speed etc) of entities?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 11:06:46 pm »
Aliens do not have any native resistances. However, they take more damage on easy difficulties and less damage on hard difficulties.

The stats are hard-coded.

Offline tobbe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 05:02:23 pm »
Aliens do not have any native resistances.

Wow!  :o Then the reaearch informations are misleading, as they state something different....really nice to konw! THX!

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 05:05:18 pm »
There's a lot in the research articles that doesn't match up with the game, simply because the game is not yet finished.

Woreczko

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 06:11:21 pm »
The heavier the weapon is (heavy weapons > assault > secondary), the less effective armour normally is. e.g. alien armor protection vs. normal_light
I wonder, whether this is actually a necessary innovation. Current damage formula favors high damage/hit weapons anyway. And they are the ones with "heavy" dmg_weight.

Offline tobbe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 07:40:47 pm »
I wonder, whether this is actually a necessary innovation. Current damage formula favors high damage/hit weapons anyway. And they are the ones with "heavy" dmg_weight.

Thats actually not true in all cases: Snipers, for example, deal heavy damage, whereas Granade Laucher Flechettes deal light damage. This way it is possible to give somes weapons a nice twist...

Furthermore this regulation ist definitely needed to create some addional balancing options...the best example might the SMG. I am working on some weapon balancing to reduce the overall performance of this almost Uber-Weapon against armored enemies and this is the point where dmg_weight comes very handy...

Woreczko

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 08:53:56 am »
Just set the reistance of given armour at 20 for all damage weights. It will hurt sniper rifle a little (20% worse performance), will be good vs assault rifle (50%) and will render SMG useless (as it deals 20 dmg per shot). No need for different dmg_weight for that :)

Offline tobbe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 07:40:37 pm »
Just set the reistance of given armour at 20 for all damage weights. It will hurt sniper rifle a little (20% worse performance), will be good vs assault rifle (50%) and will render SMG useless (as it deals 20 dmg per shot). No need for different dmg_weight for that :)

Possible, but i think the game would lose some of its possibilities...right now there is an interesting balance between damge types, weapons damage and their effectiveness against armor...once the final balancing is done i expect an easy to understand, but still complex and interesting weapon balance...