project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: MIMIR Telescope/Carrier Animation  (Read 18311 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: MIMIR Telescope/Carrier Animation
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 07:18:55 pm »
https://webdisk.ucalgary.ca/~djetowns/public_html/misc_files/UFO_AI/MIMIR_final17_0001_0955.avi

I fixed that little blooper, as well as getting rid of some annoying stars in the first shot, and also increasing the bloominess of the jump-flare.

If you have no objections, this will be the final version of the movie.

The visual blooper was the inconsistent location of the UFO relative to the moon at the point it jumped in. (The old video's still up if you want to take a look). In the wide-angle shot, the UFO appeared well to the right of the moon. In the zoomed-in shot, the UFO appeared while in front of the moon. This was because in the zoomed-in shot, the moon (and UFO) were actually physically enlarged, and the moon sort of 'reached out' to grab the UFO.

Speaking for myself, I think this looks very nice.

If you have any trouble making a RoQ out of it, give me a shout (PM) and I'll help you out (or I could do it for you).

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 07:57:41 pm »
Yeah, I don't think I want to fiddle with trying to compress it into ROQ, after hearing of your tales of adventure and horror trying to fiddle with it. :)

If you want a version without the xvid compression: https://webdisk.ucalgary.ca/~djetowns/public_html/misc_files/UFO_AI/MIMIR_sequenced7.zip
(You may have to wait a while until the file completely uploads. At the time of writing this, it's at 30MB/88MB at 57KB/s)

Those are the final composited results, before the compression into a the xvid avi. It's a sequence of 955 .png files, about as lossless as you can get. :)
Half of the effects in the staticky-rewind are actually from the compression algorithm not knowing what to do with the static, so the ROQ video may look considerably different in that part.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2008, 01:02:21 am »
Here you go:

http://roq.destructavator.com/

If anyone else needs a roq made, let me know and send it my way and I'll put it on the page.

Regarding the multiple versions, the 512x512 would probably be better for fullscreen, although the 256x256 would probably be better for part of the screen, such as in the UFOPedia, and if I end up making any tiny ones, I'll render it in 128x128 also.

Seeing how many links to files I provided in the past, I've decided to organize them onto these pages on my site so that no one has to hunt through the forum via a search to find everything I offer to the project.

If any of the links don't work, send a message and I'll fix them ASAP.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:04:49 am by Destructavator »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2008, 01:13:25 am »
Oops! I goofed on the aspect ratio, there's black at the top and bottom during playback within the game.

I'll fix this within the next couple of days, I'm about out of time right now.

- Dave

EDIT: Just got them fixed, they should be uploaded about 20 min or so from the time of this post...

EDIT: OK, done!  If any links or playback doesn't work, let me know.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:42:17 pm by Destructavator »