project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: FYI: WIP Stock Video AVIs for ROQs  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
FYI: WIP Stock Video AVIs for ROQs
« on: May 14, 2008, 05:36:13 pm »
Just thought I'd let everyone know, I'm working on putting together some generic stock video clips for backgrounds or other use in RoQ cutscenes, released under some kind of GPL or public license and usable in a non-linear video editor.

I've done video editing for some time, and I have a lot of old video clips I created myself for this and that, once I get them consolidated and organized into the same format I'll post more info in this thread with a link.  In the meantime, if anyone else is interested in contributing so it can all be in one place, let me know.

A preferred format would be some kind of lossless codec for compression (my personal favorite is open-source Lagarith, which it's creator just released a new version of) in AVI, higher resolution the better, although if anyone has difficulty converting from other formats, just ask, I've got plenty of tools for that kind of thing, and can also refer people to various free or open-source tools that will do the job.

I've looked up stock video in the past on the net, much of it is actually sold in collections that one has to pay money for, it seems few people are willing to simply offer a download...

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: FYI: WIP Stock Video AVIs for ROQs
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 12:53:55 am »
Here's just a start:

http://stock.destructavator.com/

I discovered that my upload speed is rather terrible now, so I switched to Xvids, although the quality is still decent.

The moving sky might be useful for both cutscenes with aircraft and little video clips for fighters in the UFOPedia, it should be easy to put animated models of aircraft in front of the background.  Any video editor could easily grab sections of it and cut it up, flip it to move in different directions, etc.

As for animating actual models in front of the sky, that is not currently within my expertise, I still don't have too much experience with 3D Computer models, Blender, Wings3D, etc.  Anyone else is more than welcome to use these clips and try to make something.

Other than that and the colored moving backgrounds, not a lot is there right now, but it's a start.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: FYI: WIP Stock Video AVIs for ROQs
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 03:10:19 am »
I'd just like to say that I whole-heartedly support you in this, Destructavator. It's an excellent idea and may be instrumental in getting some actual cinematics produced.

Regards,
Winter