project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How to relax the civilian death limit  (Read 20304 times)

Don_Greuel

How to relax the civilian death limit
« on: January 18, 2008, 02:21:30 pm »
Hi Guys,

first at all: great project! I really appreciate the work that you' ve done - i am a big fan of the old ufo games i really enjoy to test the version of yours.

There's just one sad thing about it:

I really HATE to play against time in such a nice game, where i want to explore every alien technology, want to research every weapon, plan my missions in every detail etc.

So i am really annoyed that the game will end after 40 civilans met hades, my old mate.

i think it is impossible to finish a mission without 1 civilian being killed by the aliens - they are just too stupid, regardless of the fact that my troops do their best to eliminate every alien as quickly as possible.

I am really in the mood to stop playing this lovely !!!! game, because i know that time is running up, and i have to focus research on the origin of the aliens to be able to finish the game.

That kills the fun of everything in this game.

So PLEASE:

if there is any way to compensate the dead civilians (maybe a special technology?), please tell me quickly.

Besides this point, the game is fantastic and better than any game available at the market in the moment.

Best greetings from Germany,

yours, Uncle Greuel
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 01:51:57 pm by BTAxis »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: How to get relax the civilian death limit
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 02:30:21 pm »
There is no such method. We get a lot of complaints about the civilians, though, so it's clear something has to be done. For the time being, you can relax the civilian casualties restriction yourself by unpacking your 0ufos.pk3 file and editing campaign.ufo.

Don_Greuel

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 08:48:39 pm »
Thx for your answer BT,

but how can i "unpacking your 0ufos.pk3 file and editing campaign.ufo" ?

Please tell me what kind of programs i need to accomplish the above, i really want to edit this file ;)

Besten Gru

Ildamos

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:35:13 pm »
Good question that.

Also what would be a good number? I don't want to "cheat" but judging from what people are complaining against, the default 40 is too low. So what's a good middle ground between 40 and a cakewalk?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 11:23:39 pm »
To unpack the PK3, just use a zip-capable unpacker, like winzip. Make sure to extract the "ufos" directory with it. The script files themselves are just plain text, so use any editor you like.

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 08:59:50 am »
To unpack the PK3, just use a zip-capable unpacker, like winzip. Make sure to extract the "ufos" directory with it. The script files themselves are just plain text, so use any editor you like.

I'm not sure, but I think you also need to remove afterwards the 0ufos.pk3 file if you want the game to use the *.ufo modified files instead of 0ufos.pk3.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 10:01:24 am »
One more inconsistency, quote from intro:
"Twenty thousand innocent civilians and three battalions of elite troops are massacred over the course of twelve brutal hours"

12000 peoples in 12 hours, and only 40 in months of game?

I propose to drop this counter as condition of defeat, and make it only affected to nations relation to PHALANX
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 11:39:10 am by Kildor »

Ildamos

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 11:24:34 am »
I'm not sure, but I think you also need to remove afterwards the 0ufos.pk3 file if you want the game to use the *.ufo modified files instead of 0ufos.pk3.

Developers, what's the deal? We should delete the original? (Store it away in another directory would be safer I think.)

Takai

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 11:41:17 am »
Dead civs should only affect mission score. Imagine this: a number of civilians die in NYC so the NYPD is disbanded?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 01:07:03 pm »

No, mattn changed this a good while back. The game prefers the unpacked files over the packed ones.

Offline tobbe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 04:16:49 pm »

I have another question: I found the file, was able to unpack it and now i am about to change some stuff for my own use (especially weapon stats and aircraft stats). Once i finish the changes: how to repack the new stuff? I use 7zip, and this does not offer to create a .pk3 file...

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 04:32:10 pm »
As stated, PK3 is just zip (note: zip is not the same as 7-zip).

You don't have to repack the files to make it work. As long as you preserve the directory structure, the game will use your modified files.

Mustang

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 04:45:26 pm »
There is no such method. We get a lot of complaints about the civilians, though, so it's clear something has to be done. For the time being, you can relax the civilian casualties restriction yourself by unpacking your 0ufos.pk3 file and editing campaign.ufo.

Thank you for listening.  I replied to the other threads and took me a bit to get here.  The game is a great effort and it would be a terrible thing to have it go to waste on this one tiny issue that unfortunately affects so much of the game play.  Your efforts are extremely appreciated.

Offline tobbe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 05:38:33 pm »
As stated, PK3 is just zip (note: zip is not the same as 7-zip).

You don't have to repack the files to make it work. As long as you preserve the directory structure, the game will use your modified files.

I just took a closer look at the directory structure and i realised, that i am not sure where to extract the "new" files to...is it sufficient to extract the .pk3 files into the same folder (base-directory)?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 05:39:21 pm »
Yes, but preserve the directory structure in the zip file, so the files end up in base/ufos/.