project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Civilians... those little buggers.  (Read 42829 times)

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Civilians... those little buggers.
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2009, 10:45:31 pm »
Its not the case that the soldiers wouldn't be capable - its more that they are under orders to protect civs - not harm them - so they woud have neither the orders nor the inclination to throw punches at them.
you don't see UN peacekeepers delivering left hooks to civs in order to keep them out of harms way

Pfft, thats because the UN is supposed to be perfect, and the media doesnt want to portray anything that doesnt show them as bad.
Irritation and anger cause people to do things they ordinarily wouldnt do, such as KO some one in their way. Besides, what harm is there but a few bruises? Their lives were saved, right?

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2009, 09:35:24 pm »
How would one modify civvie behavior, which faction they are and equipment?

p.s. I did check the wiki but I could not find anything.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2009, 09:38:17 pm »
Faction? They're civilians. Equipment? They don't have any. Behavior? You can code LUA AI scripts for them.

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2009, 07:31:08 am »
I know that they do not start with equipment and that they are a seperate faction (some other post mentioned this as a possible reason for civvies shooting at the human player's team). My question was which files would be responsible for determining their equipment and faction (to get them to stop shooting at me).

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2009, 01:42:04 pm »
You keep talking about factions, but we don't have any. Civilians are humans, if that's what you mean. They're AI controlled, so they're on a different team, but they're not a "faction".
You can't edit their equipment, because they don't have any. All civilians start unarmed (though infected ones will start with alien weaponry - but this isn't finished yet).
Their behavior is dictated by the AI. If you change the AI so civilians will never shoot at you, you're set.

MachineGun

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2009, 12:25:00 am »
Ha ha! Those civilians are brainless!

Now, if you could just tell them to hold still, they'd make great body shields.

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2009, 05:12:37 am »
Evil evil.

Offline keybounce

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2009, 08:02:29 am »
That was the method in XCOM either. Aand a method to save them in terror missions. :)

-geever
Naaarrgh! Now you tell me :-).

OK, stun bombs on civies to keep them from being killed. I bet it doesn't work if a cyberdisk blows up :-).

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2009, 08:29:27 am »
Okay I am sorry but IMHO there should be a small chance of having a civilian who does not just run away from the aliens, instead trying to *defend* themself from the alien scum. Having one gung ho civvie on the map would present the player with an option of trying to get to rambo's location if not just to make sure he or she doesn't provide an easy kill to the aliens.

I understand the premise of the game is that PHALANX are the hardy protectors of Humanity, but surely there are non-PHALANX members who would be willing to put up a fight against the aliens.

I am not saying that there should be paramilitary forces on every map played but that including one or two every once in a while could add something to the game.

Offline Silveressa

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2009, 09:13:07 am »
Perhaps making these few "brave defenders" appear as police officers would work well? (Logically they would be the people most likely to confront the enemy rather than cower in fear)

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2009, 09:35:41 am »
Remember Humanity is full of unbalanced people (wow alien scum have invaded my hood, screw running ...lets go gunning mofos!)...Policemen may flee a scene (do you blame them!)  while a brave few form a last stand, and vice versa.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 08:54:39 pm by Captain Bipto »

Offline Kaz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2009, 06:26:39 pm »
There is also the issue with the military personnel in the convoy mission.

Cheers!

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2009, 07:30:54 pm »
Yeah well who knows exactly how convoy will turn out (except the devs of course) seeing as they are still working on the game so cut 'em some slack.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2009, 07:35:32 pm »
I don't know if "military civilians" will ever happen on convoy. It's just a map like any other, and the game doesn't treat it differently. that means the civilians will probably always wear plainclothes, and they will probably never be armed (unless siding with the aliens).

bolter

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2009, 08:34:13 pm »
I think the best possible fix to the Civ AI in the near term is to add an attack to all primary weapons: "Riflebutt," which costs 8 TUs and does enough damage to stun an unarmed human of average health.

Forcing us to waste our soldier's TUs on loading up a stun rod because a civ is humping his/her leg is just cruel.