project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Selecting another unit while old unit is moving  (Read 2397 times)

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Selecting another unit while old unit is moving
« on: January 16, 2008, 10:00:52 am »
If i click on a unit, then on a target place, the unit starts to move.

It would be nice if, during this time too, I could select a new unit and start
its movement. Right now I have to sit and wait until the first selected
unti finishes its movement before I can move any other unit.

SpaceWombat

Re: Selecting another unit while old unit is moving
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 02:56:45 pm »
Agreed.
Another thing could be a running mode and effects of different modes to lets say awareness of hostile movement. You can move much faster but you will not see aliens that early. Would give an addition to tactics. This could be used like the prone/stand button. prone/stand/run position.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 03:24:14 pm »
The thing with moving at the same time is not possible with the current way the game is programmed. We've been over this before, as it's especially noticeable in cooperative multiplayer, but I don't think this is going to happen.

SpaceWombat

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 04:25:03 pm »
How about an option in the game preferences on how fast the soldiers move? Since the missions are round based it does not matter whether it takes 3 or 0.5 seconds to move 10 tiles. This way a player can choose if he likes to "enjoy" the full animation or just wants to get his orders executed quickly. I think this is just one real variable in the code since you synchronize the animation with model movement along the walking path anyway?

I probably would not like to move soldiers at the same time anyway because the action might be interrupted by events like enemy sighting and I do not want click around carelessly on while this happens resulting in false movement orders for the wrong soldier.

What could be interesting though may be impossible to do with the current code:
Planning tactical movement and then let all soldiers move at the same time with some kind of "play" button like in other ufo/x-com games. That gives the opportunity to react on enemies sighted by one soldier with all soldiers just like in realtime.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 04:46:22 pm »
Animation speed may not be a big problem. I don't know for sure. You can't have this in multiplayer, though, because the soldiers move at the same time in all clients. And singleplayer is, more or less, multiplayer with just one player.