project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Some bugs in 2.2  (Read 9277 times)

Offline tobbe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Some bugs in 2.2
« on: January 14, 2008, 06:31:06 pm »
I just downloaded 2.2 and I discovered some minor bugs:

1. After i shot down an UFO (typically Harvester) i get the message, that the battle ist lost and I lose the fighter.

2. Something is wrong with production/production times: I have 10 workers employed and after 20 days they were unable to produce a single bolter.

3. Sometimes you cant see the HP of your soldiers when assigning them to your craft, which makes it quite uncomfortable to sort out wounded soliders...

sathie

Re: Some bugs in 2.2
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 06:53:56 pm »
1. After i shot down an UFO (typically Harvester) i get the message, that the battle ist lost and I lose the fighter.

I noticed this earlier.  It's because the battle continues even after one ship has been destroyed.  Any missiles and projectiles that the destroyed craft had fired will continue along their path, and if the victorious ship is in their path then it will most likely be destroyed.

This does not seem all that realistic to me.  It is possible, but realistically two ships would never just go straight at it in this fashion, one would be tailing the other, so this situation would not occur very often.

For the geoscape it would probably be difficult to show a proper dogfight without it looking a little on the retarded side, but imo missiles from a craft should disappear once it has been destroyed.

SpaceWombat

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 01:20:12 am »
Ok I think this is a bug:

When I start a new Campaign e.g. at very easy I have $1.200.200. The Base cost is $100.000. But when I build it I always have different cash amounts between 100.000 and 40.000 even if I always build it at the same location. If the values on the tooltips are right I should have more than 1 mio left. If costs for starting buildings etc. are subtracted I should at least always have the same cash amount at the same location. Am I right on this?  ::)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 01:24:44 am »
The variation in cost is because you don't always receive the same equipment on a new game. Mind you, I still consider that a bug.

Offline tobbe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 02:04:32 am »
I noticed this earlier.  It's because the battle continues even after one ship has been destroyed.  Any missiles and projectiles that the destroyed craft had fired will continue along their path, and if the victorious ship is in their path then it will most likely be destroyed.

This does not seem all that realistic to me.  It is possible, but realistically two ships would never just go straight at it in this fashion, one would be tailing the other, so this situation would not occur very often.

For the geoscape it would probably be difficult to show a proper dogfight without it looking a little on the retarded side, but imo missiles from a craft should disappear once it has been destroyed.

I realized this, after i shot down some scouts...so it is no bug. But still it is simply annoying. I can shoot down any Harvester close enough to my base, but i just costs me about 25K (Stiletto + 1 Missile Rack). Regardless of any discussion about realism, it is just no fun...

Offline mattheus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 03:08:47 am »
I was annoyed about same trouble with Harvesters some weeks ago playing 2.3 development edition. Seems that this trouble is still there with new ships and new type of alien plating armor on ships also, I think ship armor system is not implemented? Harvesters are only alien ships with real teeth in moment, all interceptors will be shot down by them. Sometimes before interceptor shots down Harvester also. Even if interceptor will turn 160 or 150 degrees back - alien missiles have too good homing. It's nice, but at least one hit should be survivable with armor or alien plating armor. EMC is also not working, maybe we could have "chaff and flare" dispencer's like military crafts today?

At same time missile firing was strange because in most cases when missiles are fired one is fired directly to target (in Harvesters moving direction) and two are fired in 45 decrees left and right from Harvester. So two useless missiles not homing and one useful.

I wont complain that we have frontal intercepting with Harvesters now - because Harvesters should be able to survive at least one or more hit's (like our interceptors) and are heavily armed and have radar covering in all directions (unlike modern fighters like Mig-29 or F-22), that they should turn to target, probably make evasive actions also, not to fly really out, but to intercept interceptor's. Stiletto and our other fighters should also make evasive actions at same time when intercepting Harvester. For hunting bigger ufo's like Harvester we should probably use more interceptors from different angles coming in, so Harvester will be overrun. But our interceptors should have ways to survive too still!

SpaceWombat

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 03:26:20 am »
I could not really use my missile battery despite the fact that I installed a missile launcher properly and there were 20 missiles left. Is it of any use yet? If yes than how do I shoot it at an ufo? My first suggestion was that it would be launched like an interceptor but that did not work (I could click on "Phalanx base" on the right side which says "there is no missile system..." if you do not have any missile launcher ready but nothing happened).  ???

SpaceWombat

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 03:32:54 am »
The variation in cost is because you don't always receive the same equipment on a new game. Mind you, I still consider that a bug.

Well ok that is plausibel but is it again a kind of "luck factor"? You could just give zero equipment to the team and instead give a fix amount of every available item to buy to the market so the player chooses the arsenal and it is his strategy. Or does this mean if you would sell everything you would always be even in your account?

This "base cost $100.000" thing is still misleading to me, there should be a hint that you will spend much more on it effectively or the player should start with less money and start the first base for free (you have to build one anyway).

Snike

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 04:20:59 pm »
Maybe, it would be better to add possibility to switch off automatic equipment buyng at start. So, something like "Start without equipment" (as it was done with "Sart without buildings" and "Start without employers").

Offline tobbe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 12:06:58 am »
So found a "real" bug this time...game crashes after i return to base

i get a visual c++ error with the expression: *cargo.alientype

would attach the save, but i cant find it...

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 08:55:31 am »
see our http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/FAQ for the path where to search the savegames.

please also post your bugs at our bugtracker - that helps us to ... yes, keep track of them...
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=805242&group_id=157793&func=browse

Offline tobbe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 01:00:40 pm »
see our http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/FAQ for the path where to search the savegames.

please also post your bugs at our bugtracker - that helps us to ... yes, keep track of them...
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=805242&group_id=157793&func=browse

unfortunately, i lost the save...sorry. But i have another question:

I retrieved an alien fighter, had an UFO hangar ready, but i cant disassemble it...or neither transfer it to another base...bug or simply not implemented yet?

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 03:26:38 pm »
I retrieved an alien fighter, had an UFO hangar ready, but i cant disassemble it...or neither transfer it to another base...bug or simply not implemented yet?

This is implemented, but you need to research UFO fighter before disassembling it. And in order to research UFO fighter, you need to research UFO scout before.

Offline tobbe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 04:47:19 pm »
This is implemented, but you need to research UFO fighter before disassembling it. And in order to research UFO fighter, you need to research UFO scout before.

Thx...that means i will have to wait for a landed scout... >:(

edit: got it!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 11:34:56 pm by tobbe »

Offline tobbe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 08:03:36 pm »
I already posted this bug in the tracker, but i am curious what might cause it...after a mission, i get two TODOs and the game ends...any chance for a workaround or explanation?? Its in August...could this be the appearance of XVI?