project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alien syringe  (Read 23472 times)

Offline Danimal

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Alien syringe
« on: January 14, 2008, 04:42:48 pm »
Hi, im new around here but willing to help a bit, since i have learnt how to use blender not so long ago i will try to do small objects and such. Any constructive critic is welcome  ;D .

NEW MODEL

I finally got some time to retake this model, so the first thing i did was to made a minor modification on it (piston and rail guides on the lower side) plus some cleaning on the mesh that resulted in less polis used. Currently i have the model almost textured, but since im still figthing my way with blender texture baking option it may take some time. As always contructive critics welcome.  ;)

469 vertex and 477 faces total.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 10:22:01 pm by Danimal »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Alien syringe
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 07:35:38 pm »
i like the model - but it's up to winter to decide whether it really fits

i'm sure he will post his opinion soon

thanks for the work

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 07:49:15 pm »
what is the polycount?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 07:58:11 pm »
Hi, im new around here but willing to help a bit, since i have learnt how to use blender not so long ago i will try to do small objects and such. Any constructive critic is welcome  ;D .

I have just a few criticisms.

1. The blood cartridge is too small, and the handle shape is too odd and ends up too thin at the back. It looks simply too fragile to take the hard pneumatic slam of the needle.

2. The rest of the body, however, simply doesn't look alien enough. It needs some more inspired shaping.

Another suggestion is to shorten the 'needle' part at the front by about half, to give it a proper pneumatic-driven look.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Danimal

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 08:00:02 pm »
Thanks for your opinion, ill wait for the dungeon master aproval  ;)

Offline Danimal

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 08:22:49 pm »
yup, didnt refresh, answering:

1- Since i dont have info on it, i took as a base the syringe was to take blood or whathever samples, or inject drugs or nanos..., so making the vials bigger was not neccesary (you are getting a bit not half a litre).
Regarding the handle, i think it is good, just look at the hands of the sectoid/grey alien, it fits there nicely.
A needle really doesnt need any strenght to pierce, and this piece of equipment seems more rigth into the hands of a medic or scientific than an alien soldier.

2- I agree with you, im not really happy with the body either, perhaps making it a bit wider and adding some tubes will both make it more alien-like and interesting.

About poli count, ill try to discover it  :-X   <---Blender noob

Offline Danimal

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 08:52:41 pm »
Here goes a revamp-draft for the syringe, please have a look at it Winter.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 08:58:29 pm »
yup, didnt refresh, answering:

1- Since i dont have info on it, i took as a base the syringe was to take blood or whathever samples, or inject drugs or nanos..., so making the vials bigger was not neccesary (you are getting a bit not half a litre).
Regarding the handle, i think it is good, just look at the hands of the sectoid/grey alien, it fits there nicely.
A needle really doesnt need any strenght to pierce, and this piece of equipment seems more rigth into the hands of a medic or scientific than an alien soldier.

The syringe isn't there for taking blood, it's there for -depositing- blood, even through armour, by means of a pneumatic ram. It's discussed extensively here: http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2031.0

Telling me that you know better about these things . . . doesn't really work when I'm the one who came up with them in the first place.

2- I agree with you, im not really happy with the body either, perhaps making it a bit wider and adding some tubes will both make it more alien-like and interesting.

That's an idea, worth a try.

Regards,
Winter

PS.

That looks much more like what we had in mind. Keep in mind, the vial can have a larger diameter than the body, that would help make it a bit more interesting.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 09:08:48 pm by Winter »

Offline Danimal

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 09:26:54 pm »
I read your concept post (sorry, didnt notice it, you should put links to their conceps in "To Do" post)
should the vial be double, one with his inner space split in two (one side for each liquid) or just one? and following that, i could do the vial to be actually larger than the gun, thus leaving a hole in its back (gun back) from wich dispose the empty one and reload. I dont see how you can have it be of a bigger diameter than the actual gun.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 10:39:52 pm »
I read your concept post (sorry, didnt notice it, you should put links to their conceps in "To Do" post)
should the vial be double, one with his inner space split in two (one side for each liquid) or just one? and following that, i could do the vial to be actually larger than the gun, thus leaving a hole in its back (gun back) from wich dispose the empty one and reload. I dont see how you can have it be of a bigger diameter than the actual gun.

The concept post is actually not by me, and the actual implementation we want doesn't completely match OrderlyChaos's proposal.

There is only one vial. The vial should be quite large, a little bit larger than it is now. It should also be easy to reload, either from the top or the back.

That is all.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Danimal

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 10:43:23 pm »

Two posible mods. One with twin exposed tubes and another one wich features a larger vial with charge from its back. You are a hard customer to please Winter  ;)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 12:48:27 am »

Two posible mods. One with twin exposed tubes and another one wich features a larger vial with charge from its back. You are a hard customer to please Winter  ;)

The single vial version is great, I'd be very happy to see that in the game.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Danimal

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 01:04:06 am »
sHOULD I GO FOR THE LOWEST POSIBLE POLI COUNT?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 01:57:29 am »
sHOULD I GO FOR THE LOWEST POSIBLE POLI COUNT?

As low as possible without sacrificing too much detail. Anything up to about 750 would be acceptable in the end-up.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Danimal

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 12:44:15 am »
New untextured model ready