project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: I don't get it....  (Read 3582 times)

Offline fybte

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
I don't get it....
« on: January 13, 2008, 03:07:48 pm »
Hi everybody.

I'm new here and its the first time i'm posting.

I have 2.1 and am currently downloading 2.2.

What i don't 'get' is 

- why there's plasma ammo for the grenade launcher
--> but not for CS stun gas.
--> In the first x-com games, one of the first few things I do at a terror site is to slam stun gas grenades at civies. Much easier than trying to shout 'GET DOWN'  :P
--> In v2.1, the same tactic still works. But once down, the civies become supermen and wonderwomen and shrugged aside sharpnel, explosives, fire and even plasma.

- why there's smoke grenades
--> but no smoke grenades for the grenade launcher.

- why there's a portable laser
--> but no -stun mode for lasers?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolaser
--> I can't remember the write-up for lasers and their clips. But if its battery-based, then its plausible to have stun mode (half a charge for plasma channel, half for the stun jolt).

- why there's a micro-shotgun.......
--> but NO hand-cannons! like magnums or heavier.

- why there's only one 'brand' of each type of weapons.
--> I've always thought that Special Ops troops have access more varieties of weapons. For example, two types of sniper rifles. The lighter anti-personnel types for meat and the much heavier anti-materiel types for canned meat. :D

- why there are no battlefield sensors/traps? Sort of like a mine, but without lethal payload. More for terror sites. Scatter them either by hand or rocket. Any body (xcom, civie, alien, dog, cat) who moves near one, poof, a small cloud of coloured smoke.

ok. enough babbling.

Its a great game! Loads fast even on my aging computer (PIII 500). Thanks everyone who've built this, and helped built this.

Offline qubodup

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: I don't get it....
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 03:31:24 pm »
Hi there!

--> I can't remember the write-up for lasers and their clips. But if its battery-based, then its plausible to have stun mode (half a charge for plasma channel, half for the stun jolt).
The 'projectile' of lasers is light-based

- why there's only one 'brand' of each type of weapons.
--> I've always thought that Special Ops troops have access more varieties of weapons. For example, two types of sniper rifles. The lighter anti-personnel types for meat and the much heavier anti-materiel types for canned meat. :D
I was wondering too, but there's an ok explanation in the wapon's paeida text.

- why there are no battlefield sensors/traps? Sort of like a mine, but without lethal payload. More for terror sites. Scatter them either by hand or rocket. Any body (xcom, civie, alien, dog, cat) who moves near one, poof, a small cloud of coloured smoke.
Well... the game has not as much depth as ja2 (in the fight scenes) but it would be implementable probably.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:12:49 pm »
What i don't 'get' is 

- why there's plasma ammo for the grenade launcher
--> but not for CS stun gas.

Not implemented yet, but may be done in future. Though I'm thinking the gas should count as lethal damage for civvies due to its violent nature, and to make it less easy to cheat with them.

- why there's smoke grenades
--> but no smoke grenades for the grenade launcher.

Not implemented yet.

Why is there a comment about this but you have not even read the writeup? It's specifically stated many times that the lasers are NOT battery-based but chemical-based. Really, would it be that difficult to read before you post?

- why there's a micro-shotgun.......
--> but NO hand-cannons! like magnums or heavier.

Because hand-cannons are absolutely useless in real combat, unlike the secondary weapons we have? If we implemented them, they would have terrible range, bad accuracy at all distances, and still wouldn't do as much damage as a proper rifle. Why give the player an option he'll never sensibly want to use?

We've had plans for proximity-based weapons for ages, but haven't got the code for them.

Regards,
Winter

Offline qubodup

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 05:11:29 am »
Not implemented yet, but may be done in future. Though I'm thinking the gas should count as lethal damage for civvies due to its violent nature, and to make it less easy to cheat with them.
What if you hit civs by mistake? would that not be a hard punishment to make them die?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:59:10 am »
What if you hit civs by mistake? would that not be a hard punishment to make them die?

The civvie AI should do everything it can to stay away from any bad area effects. With that in mind, having some accidental deaths is nowhere near as problematic or unbelievable as being able to carpet-bomb blistering agent on civilians, which is terrible as a gameplay mechanic as well as clashing hard with the backstory.

Regards,
Winter

Aarontu

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 09:25:47 pm »
--> In the first x-com games, one of the first few things I do at a terror site is to slam stun gas grenades at civies. Much easier than trying to shout 'GET DOWN'  :P
You mean EU/UFO defense?  There weren't any stun gas anythings in that game. Maybe you're thinking of the alien's stun bomb launcher?

About most of those points, I think it is good and reasonable to limit the number of weapons and equipment in the game.  I think the assumption is that you'd only buy the best of each type of weapon, so the less sophisticated weapons don't need to be included in the game.