project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Terror sites stay forever?  (Read 1854 times)

Aarontu

Terror sites stay forever?
« on: March 31, 2008, 10:16:59 pm »
I must say, as an X-Com fanatic, this game is looking excellent and looks like the most promising of all the X-Com-inspired projects.  I just wanted to ask about something I thought was strange.

So, I was playing with a base in Europe, and a terror site (underground mine) appeared in New Zealand.  I tried to send the transport, but the game said it didn't have enough fuel to make it there and back.  I equipped two fuel pods and it still said it couldn't make it, so I figured I'd just let that terror site go and lose some relations with Oceania.  Maybe a week later, I get a message that the aliens have killed 6 civilians at the terror site. I think that the terror is over, probably. (I was using 3d geoscape, so I didn't see that part of the world) The first month is over and I get enough money to build another base.  Soon after, I get another message that the aliens have killed 6 more civilians there. I go look and the terror site is still going on two weeks later!?

Apparently, the aliens have set up a home in the mines and aren't going anywhere.  Also, 6 people go into the mines and die every week or so.  After three weeks, I was almost done building a base in the Americas so I could go to the terror site, and I clicked on my transport while it was going somewhere else, and the terror site was an option!(?)  It made it with barely enough fuel to make it back.  After everything, I lost a total of 20 or so civilians from that terror site.  So, here's my questions/thoughts:

-Do terror sites stick around forever because some of them are central to the plot or story, or is disappearing terror sites something on the TODO list?
-The fuel capacity for the transport is a bit low.  It really hurts when a terror site happens near the beginning of the game and you can't make it there because it's so far away.
-Even if the terror sites were to go away after a week, that is WAY too much time, in my opinion, to allow the player to respond. As it is, you never have to fight during the night and there is no sense of urgency to go and save those civilians.  I think they should last for about a day, giving you just enough time to respond and send a transport.
-Totally unrelated; is there plans for terrain able to catch fire? It just looks wrong to throw an incendiary grenade or fire a flamethrower in a barn full of hay and nothing is burned.  As they are, flamethrowers just seem like a short-ranged SMG with different graphics (or something like that). You don't even have to worry about getting burned firing it point blank.