project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Trouble starting 2.2  (Read 59214 times)

Offline Soandso

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble starting 2.2
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2008, 07:27:34 pm »
I can't even mess with the config file because there is no user data directory.  I'm guessing that is generated after it looks for hardware accel.

Brons

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2008, 11:30:52 pm »
Any chances of a fix one of these days? I have the problem running the most recent Omega drivers. It's obviously not a bug in the drivers because other games work just fine. The change to 16 bit doesn't do anything.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2008, 10:51:05 am »
Just because other games work fine doesn't mean there's not a bug in the drivers. For one thing, this game use OpenGL, while most games use DirectX.

Mind you, it's not because your drivers are Omega. Compatibility should be the same as the drivers they're based on. If there's a problem with the drivers, it's ATi's fault.

Brons

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2008, 12:39:41 pm »
That's true. Although I haven't had any problems with other openGL applications, so they were able to fix this driver bug. But any intention to fix this in any way? I can't boot the game at all, and changing the video card isn't an option because I'm on a notebook.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2008, 12:55:49 pm »
Have you tried running a 2.3 dev installer? Maybe that will work better for you. You can find download links in this forum.

Brons

« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2008, 01:39:06 pm »
Yes, I downloaded a few from the thread that's stickied.

Brons

« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2008, 12:37:31 pm »
I've installed it on a desktop machine with an ATI card and it runs fine. Must be some weird setting I have on my notebook. I'll reinstall it sometime and check again.

Weird.

Goham

« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2008, 02:21:49 pm »
I´m having trouble starting the 2.2.1 on my old computer; this is what I get:

---- filesystem initialization -----
Adding game dir: ./base
Added packfile ./base/0base.pk3 (5 files)
Added packfile ./base/0maps.pk3 (461 files)
Added packfile ./base/0media.pk3 (8 files)
Added packfile ./base/0models.pk3 (1231 files)
Added packfile ./base/0music.pk3 (35 files)
Added packfile ./base/0pics.pk3 (1577 files)
Added packfile ./base/0snd.pk3 (131 files)
Added packfile ./base/0ufos.pk3 (73 files)
using C:\Documents and Settings\Johan\Application Data\UFOAI/2.2.1/base for writing
Adding game dir: C:\Documents and Settings\Johan\Application Data\UFOAI/2.2.1/base
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec config.cfg
execing keys.cfg

----- network initialization -------
libcurl/7.16.4 zlib/1.2.2 initialized.

------ server initialization -------

----- console initialization -------
Console initialized.

------- video initialization -------
SDL version: 1.2.12
I: desktop depth: 32bpp
I: setting mode 6: 1024x768 (fullscreen: no)
I: got 8 bits of stencil
I: got 32 bits of depth buffer
I: got double buffer
I: got 8 bits for red
I: got 8 bits for green
I: got 8 bits for blue
GL_VENDOR: Microsoft Corporation
GL_RENDERER: GDI Generic
GL_VERSION: 1.1.0
GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
No hardware acceleration detected

Shutdown

Seems to be the same problem as everyone else, tried to change to 16-bit but got the same results.

Any ideas/steps? I´m not so good at this so please extensive explaination ;)

Using Win XP 2002, servp. 3
Intel Celeron 2GHz, 256 MB Ram,
Graph: Intel 82845G/GL Drive version: 6.13.1.3119

I cant survi´ve christmas at my parents without shooting some aliens, so please help ;)

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2008, 03:13:15 pm »
try to download 2.3 snapshot, and look, does it start or not.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2008, 01:51:47 am »
Intel Celeron 2GHz, 256 MB Ram,
256 MB seems to be the problem. Make sure you have enough swap space.
UFO 2.3 needs some 500 MB on top of Window$.

gammerz

« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2009, 04:02:27 am »
I'm also having problems with "no hardware acceleration detected". Cannot spot any differences between mine and post #67 error log.

Using:-
Windows XP Pro on Intel P3 800 MHz 256 MB RAM.
Graphics: NVIDIA RIVA TNT 2 model 64/model 64 pro with driver version 4.6.7.3 (both MS and nvidia report drivers up to date)

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:06:47 am by gammerz »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2009, 12:31:36 pm »
I remember somebody was using the game with TNT2 so it should work. Make sure you have openGL. I think it could be disabled with old drivers.

-geever

gammerz

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2009, 01:13:44 am »
I remember somebody was using the game with TNT2 so it should work. Make sure you have openGL. I think it could be disabled with old drivers.
-geever
Thanks for the reply but I have no idea what this means. How do I make sure I have openGL? How do I check that it is enabled/disabled? As I understand, other website recommends not downloading openGL as it's part of the graphics driver, so I've done nothing yet. What I really need is some step by step instructions please. Thanks.

odie

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2009, 07:42:09 am »
I'm also having problems with "no hardware acceleration detected". Cannot spot any differences between mine and post #67 error log.

Using:-
Windows XP Pro on Intel P3 800 MHz 256 MB RAM.
Graphics: NVIDIA RIVA TNT 2 model 64/model 64 pro with driver version 4.6.7.3 (both MS and nvidia report drivers up to date)

Hi gammerz,

Your computer is relatively under-spec for a windows XP Pro. I supposed u have Service Pack (SP) 3 running and installed and patched. If so, its going to be worse.

First thing to get it to load up, u need some at least 512MB of ram (I highly recommend 1GB to 2GB). If u do not have the luxury of $$, u need to tweak your windows to get it to max out in performance.

1) First thing is to disable all unnecessary processes. (Startups and Resident memory programs [TSRs].
If this sounds too technical already, it means uninstall your unwanted programs, and at the bottom right hand side where your clock usually is, right cilk on all unnecessary applications loaded and Quit/Exit them.

2) Delete all unnecessary files and CLEAR your TRASHBIN / Recycle Bin.

3) Tweak your Windows Swap File (Thats the file most ppl ask u to tweak anyway). An online simple guide is here: Link for Editing Swap File on Win XP

A little more on this. Go to the last point of that tutorial link above. At the Custom Size part, since u r running 256MB ram only, u should :

a) Change the C drive to another drive (A partition that IS NOT the same as the harddisk of the OS, meaning: a different harddisk's partition like D or E).

b) The size should be maybe 2MB for C (A must) and put at least 512MB (it usually is "Your Ram Size" x 1.5). I recommend if you have alot of harddisk space to spare, put in : Initial Size - 2048MB, Max 4095MB.

c) Do a system restart, boot into safe mode: (Code from : PCHELL)

Code: [Select]
    * If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
    * Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
    * Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
    * Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
    * Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
    * When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

d) Do a defrag from there.

e) Restart your computer.

==========

After you have done the above, your system is partially tweaked. You may wish to tweak if further, but then again i do not know your technical knowledge level of WinXP. So bump this thread again when u r done and do indicate how much more u wish to tweak your system.....

(Btw, this still does not means u can run the UFOAI very quickly - if it does load, cos your hardware specs really is short of RAM.....)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2009, 10:49:08 am »
Thanks for the reply but I have no idea what this means. How do I make sure I have openGL? How do I check that it is enabled/disabled? As I understand, other website recommends not downloading openGL as it's part of the graphics driver, so I've done nothing yet. What I really need is some step by step instructions please. Thanks.

First check the 'video initialization' part of the ufoconsole.log. if there is something like
Code: [Select]
GL_VENDOR: Microsoft Corporation
GL_RENDERER: GDI Generic
GL_VERSION: 1.1.0

That's bad. Microsoft opengl.dll doesn't provide 3d acceleration. You can check the configuration of your nvidia driver (Right click on desktop, settings, advanced....) if there is an openGL option.

-geever