project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: What other games do you enjoy?  (Read 25835 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: What other games do you enjoy?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 06:33:55 pm »
Except Brian Reynolds.

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 01:36:46 am »
I've been gaming since the 80's...some of my favorites in no particular order

Star control 2, XCOM UFO Defence, X3 Reunion, BG 1 & 2, StarWars KOTOR, Crysis, Oblivion ( despite it's flaws ), Silent Hunter 3 & 4, Chronicles of Riddick, Fear, Call of Duty series, Medal of Honor Series, No One Lives Forever 2, Alien versus Predator, Gothic 3 ( but only with the latest community patch, too buggy otherwise ), and many others, but probably my all time favorite...System Shock 2. I wish a complete remake of this game, was to be done with todays tech...now that would be awesome indeed !!

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 01:58:34 am »
Didn't you play Bioshock then? It's the spiritual successor to SS2. It's not as good, though...

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 04:01:07 pm »
No BT,  I haven't played Bioshock as of yet. I read all the reviews saying it wasn't quite all the hype that surrounded it. And while it sounded good...I usually won't pay the initial price for a game unless it's really outstanding in all aspects. Once I read that it wasn't quite the game SS2 was, I said...why pay $50.00 for a lesser experience. I'll pick it up at some point when it finally drops down to around the $19.99 or less price :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 04:04:21 pm by Falion »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 01:05:09 pm »
Well, you could play the demo to at least get an impression of it.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 12:11:50 pm »
Freespace 1&2  ----- 8 years and I'm still playing this. The Source Code Project sure does help tough. Revamped engine that can match anything today.

Jagged Alliance 2  -------- oldie but goldie...especially with the 1.13 mod

Sword of the Stars (+ Born of Blood expansion)  --- now this is a kick ass game. KICK. ASS.

Outcast - very old, but great gameplay and story

UFO series, X-Com series   - need I say more?

Baldurs Gate 1&2, NWN2, Mass Effect  ---- all hail Bioware!

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 12:57:29 pm »
I beat Mass Effect the other day, the PC version. The game is rather boring, but the story and character development are pretty good. It also really made me want to play Star Control 2 again.

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 03:13:26 pm »
BT, I just beat Star Control 2 again after not playing for many years. For anyone who would like to play this golden oldie, here is a link to the project ( if your not already aware of it ) that will play on modern PC's. The game is identical ( with a few enhancements ) to the original 3DO / PC game of the early 90's.

Enjoy !!

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 03:15:12 pm »
Yes, that's what I'm playing. It really is a very flawed game, with all sorts of things that could have been better, but it's still incredibly fun. I never did beat it because it always pissed me off in the past, but maybe this time, eh?

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 03:21:36 pm »
Yeah the game does have it's flaws...but it's just fun. I imagine a game with this plot ( but more fleshed out ), with a modern 3D space engine...maybe similar to X3 Reunion. Improve the storyline somewhat, remove some, but not all of the "campy" stuff ( a bit more ominous / serious ), improve the combat and ships...be a very COOL game. If you should need any help in beating the game...let me know and I'll PM you some tips and a few easter eggs I found after about the 3rd time though it :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:31:42 pm by Falion »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 03:38:22 pm »
I was thinking along the same lines, except nothing as elaborate as X3. More something like a more modern version of Escape Velocity, combined with the exploration and resource gathering element of SC2. Perhaps also with a slight 4X touch, allowing the player to expand his own territory and conquer others. And of course with a random starmap generator for replay value.

Yeah, chalk that one up as one of the games that don't exist, but should. There's a bunch of those.

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 04:03:53 pm »
Explore, expand, exploit and exterminate...sounds good to me BT...guess we can dream about it huh?  :D

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2008, 05:04:02 pm »
ok .. well ill give you guys a post from another thread i had

1. Master of Orion 2
Ever played a game that could make you stay up for an entire week without the use of narcotics. This is it folks. This game took the best of civilization 1, Simcity, and the original Master of Orion and stuck it all together. Producing what is hailed by serious 4x strategy players as the best strategy game of all time. This is a must have for any experienced gamer.

2. Doom
Killing the undead with a chainsaw... I think thats self explanatory/

3. The Elder scrolls 3 : Morrowind
Tired of RPG's that are linear and give you no real choice.. No way to really roleplay *hence the term RPG* the story... This is the game for you... 1500 hours after beating the main story line you can still find yourself searching the mountains or caves or even the ocean for new and exciting things to do. This is a must have for those that claim to love RPG's

4. Ultima Online
The first 3d mmorpg. Sure it had flaws.. But it was an MMORPG and has lead to many successful ripoffs.

5. Super Mario Brothers
One of the best console games of all time. from 4 years old to 75 Every person can get some sort of gratification out of Super Mario brothers. adding the yoshis and a few extra elements along with the beautiful colors made this a must have.

6. Rainbow six: Rogue Spear
FPS is a beat to death genre.. But in 1997 Rogue spear put it to the next level... With such detail as the type of ammo to the awesome mod collection... This game was intense and fast paced even for the 56k dialup era.. Hours of amusement.. And the singleplayer Campaign was tough.

7. Myst
A real adventure game for the inquisitive at heart. Myst takes you through time and space as it shows you how in depth an adventure/puzzle game came be. Resident Evil was almost a direct ripoff of this idea. Myst was as beautiful to look at as it was slow to load But It was worth it.

8. X-wing Versus Tie Fighter
This game put the best of CFS and star wars together.... Way ahead of its time... and probably a little too much for the computers of the day.. A remake of this is definitely overdue.. This game was everything the kids from the late 70s and early 80s wanted.. to fly a tie fighter or an x wing (and some of the other fighter/bombers too!!)

9. Grand Theft Auto 3 Vice City
Car Jacking, picking up prostitutes, beating up random people, and just causing citywide mayhem... I think this really doesnt need much more of an explanation.. GTA3 has saved the police departments world wide trillions in pent up aggression. Thankyou rockstar games Thankyou.

10. Total Annihilation
I know a lot of you were expecting to see Command and conquer or Warcraft 2 here... unfortunately total annihilation was so much better once you had it no C and C or WC game would fill the void... naval, ground, air, long range artillery. My first map game lasted 27 hours. The modding was excellent.. This game is still so popular there is an open liscence project full release. And its got even better graphics than the first one.

Games of note that didnt make the list
Xcom UFO defense
Simcity 2000
Civilization 4
Star Fox
Grand Turismo
NBA Jams
Madden Football
Asteroids
Galaga
Diablo
Ogame
Goldeneye
Zelda The Ocarina of Time

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Darkpriest667: 18.04.2008 14:02.

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2008, 06:44:33 pm »
Anyone know where to perhaps get "Master of Orion 2" that will play on a modern OS?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2008, 09:07:40 pm »
Isn't DOSbox an option for you?