project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: What other games do you enjoy?  (Read 25832 times)

Offline Zukn

• Rookie
    • View Profile
What other games do you enjoy?
« on: January 13, 2008, 12:14:42 am »
 Aside from UFO:AI what do you play alot of?
Rome:Total War is a bit of favourite of mine. I used to be an Everquest junkie, I play The Sims 2 now and again.
 Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs gate 1+2 were great and I occaisonaly replay them. Freelancer was alot of fun and I still have it installed

Ildamos

Re: What other games do you enjoy?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 02:42:00 am »

Halo, FEAR, Tactics Ogre, Front Mission (forgot which part, I never finished it), Warrock, Warcraft III, Tribes 1 & 3, and there was that game in Cartoon Network I used to play. I don't think it was for kids as it was much, much harder than UFO: AI. It featured squad-, turn-, and LOS-based tactical combat. I think it was called IGPX. It ran for less than a year before it vanished from their site.

And oh, WARHAMMER 40,000: DAWN OF WAR FTW!

Here, having fast reflexes is not so much of advantage as squads live longer than those units in WC3. IMO, fast reflexes should not be a major factor in strategy games. (that's why I like UFO:AI)

Galactic Civilizations 2 is VERY good too. I played it for a time in my friend's cafe but it just takes too much time.

addams013

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 01:16:01 pm »
For my money, Star Control II remains one of the best games ever.  Not just one of the best computer games ever -- one of the best games ever.  (You can nab it for free now as "The Ur-Quan Masters" from sourceforge.)  It's never not been on my hard drive since I bought it.

Thanks to DOSBox (also available on sourceforge), I play a lot of the original X-COM.

Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space still holds appeal for me because I'm a space nut.  (This is also available as Race Into Space on sourceforge for free.)  I freely admit that the learning curve on that game is unfairly steep, though.

And I have to agree that Galactic Civilizations II is nothing short of amazing.  They're about to release another expansion pack, "Twilight of the Arnor" -- and their expansion packs are enormous, almost full game releases in their own right.  It's highly tweakable to your own personal gaming preferences, and it's easy to construct a game that will take years to play.  At the rate 4X TBS space games come out, if you like them, you should grab this one; it's easily going to be the last until 2037.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 07:11:14 pm »
Dawn of War is a great game. I dislike RTS games, but that game, along with Starcraft, is the exception.

I don't think GalCiv 2 is that good, myself - it takes far too long, and navigating the interface, especially when designing your own ship types, is clunky when you don't have a mouse wheel, like me. I also don't like how the only way to go seems to be to work your way into debt buying colonizers early on, because if you don't all the good planets will be gone in no time.
A much better game is Sword of the Stars, which also features much more exciting combat.

A game I enjoyed a lot back in the day is Alpha Centauri. I liked it a lot better than Civilization. Unfortunately, Alpha Centauri doesn't work on Windows XP, despite an update that's supposed to make it work. There's a mod for Civilization 4, but I don't know how well I like that one so far.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:09:48 pm by BTAxis »

Offline Zukn

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 07:56:55 pm »
 I can't believe I forgot to mention the Civ franchise, I loved designing different troops and ships in ALpha Centauri but going through and deleting obsolete designs was a pain.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 12:16:31 pm »
Oh, I just remembered. On the city building front, I really like Zeus Master of Olympus. Caesar 3 and Pharaoh are alright too, but not quite as much fun in my experience.

Stefan1200

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 06:40:06 pm »
I play Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and some free MMORPGs (testing many different, atm Rappelz, every some month Regnum Online).

SpaceWombat

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 07:57:12 pm »
Since my machine is a bit of age I enjoy the older games.  ;)
Civ4 with friends, HL2 mods as long as framerates don't prevent me from, Starcraft, some adventures if they show up, C&C first decade and I'm always out for cool free games/remakes like this one (hope the Syndicate clone in 3d gets beta soon).

Oh and I miss Dungeon Keeper a lot.  ;D

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 08:12:37 pm »
...I loved designing different troops and ships in ALpha Centauri but going through and deleting obsolete designs was a pain.

In My mind Alpha Centari is the supreme example of it's genera, especially with the expansion pack which helped a few weak spots.

But i agree, the interface was annoying, especially by today's standards.  I'd love to see a remake, especially if the core game was kept intact.

Sophisanmus

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 12:14:06 am »
Starsiege: Tribes Annihilation 'till it hurts.  I also had a long-running affair with Starsiege, and trysts with other games from the series (Cyberstorm, in particular).  Some C&C (everything except 3, though I began losing interest with RA2).  Sometimes some other FPS, but even Halo feels slow after playing Tribes. 

In general, I prefer games with some semblance of strategy and a level of cause-and-effect physics, at minimum.  I preferred Apocalypse to the original X-COM in part for that reason (honestly, can't beat using teleporters to sew an enemy base with unarmed vortex mines, then set it all off with incendiaries for one hell of a fireworks show.

Surrealistik

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 11:10:17 am »
Alpha Centauri was great.

TF2 is taking up most of my gaming time these days.

Offline Ogmios

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 09:33:51 pm »
Conquista Online

sirg

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 02:18:31 pm »
World of Warcraft  ;D

Offline Zukn

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 01:49:15 am »
WoW?  Haven't played it. I was an EQ player WoW undoubtedly made MMO more popular, whether it sold the souls of gamers is open to debate.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 05:40:48 pm »
Gotta be Civ.  No one makes 'em like Cid.