project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2.2 Promo Trailer (Partway done)  (Read 11715 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
2.2 Promo Trailer (Partway done)
« on: January 01, 2008, 02:25:28 am »
Okay, I've recorded a few game sessions of the 2.2 beta and have partially put together a new trailer a little bit like the last one I did for 2.1 (The one someone put on YouTube), as the 2.1 version is getting old and doesn't have some of the current features.  ("Partially" is a key word here.)  BTW, for those who are new here, this is separate from the in-game intro animation.  I figured that rather than completing it all the way and having to re-vamp it after feedback I would save some time and work by putting part of what I have so far here:

www.destructavator.com/public/UFO_Promo_v2_2a.avi

The soundtrack is one of the existing ones from the game, and because it is rather short the video moves quite quickly and throws a lot of things at the viewer one after the other.  In fact, some of the clips I have I'll have to take out to shorten it to the audio track.

A list of additional clips I don't have in this version but have recorded and could add:

-A UFO interception and brief air combat
-A UFO crash mission (harvester)
-An additional battlescape session with the Berlin map

Some ideas I'm thinking about (un-finalized TODO list):

-adding fade transitions to smooth out the huge title scrolling bits
-perhaps removing the excerpts from the intro animation to leave more room for other content
-I'm not sure about if I like the slow-motion bits or not, it does lengthen the video making it harder to fit the short soundtrack
-Regarding the soundtrack, although it is short I think it could work well, especially with the ending climax where the title could be centered along with a link to the project page
-Whatever other changes the devs would prefer to see

I know the 2.2 is still in beta, but it looks like it is almost there and I think if timed properly, I could have a final product made out of this by the time it is officially released and put on sourceforge.

On the other hand, if the devs think I should wait longer before continuing this, I can do that.

Format is 640x480, 30fps, Xvid codec, with MPEG Layer-3 audio at 44.1 Khz.

Side Note: Happy new year!  (Can you believe it is '08 already?)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 02:31:31 am by Destructavator »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 Promo Trailer (Partway done)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 04:15:22 am »
Here is another version that I personally think is a little closer to getting there:

www.destructavator.com/public/UFO_Promo_v2_2b.avi

(Please be patient while it uploads...  OK, it's up there, everyone can take a look at it now.)

I didn't get the ending of the vid done yet, it's a work in progress...

(Now if you'll excuse me, it's very late here and I feel rather brain dead...)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 05:13:13 am by Destructavator »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 08:49:49 am »
As if that wasn't enough, I couldn't sleep, so I re-worked it again:

www.destructavator.com/public/UFO_Promo_v2_2c.avi

Sleep is over-rated anyways...

Offline freegamer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 07:34:31 pm »
Can I upload that to youtube and post it on freegamer?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 08:30:32 pm »
Not yet, please wait until the final version is done!

I'm waiting for input from the devs (Mattn, Winter, BTAxis, etc.) on what changes/additions they think would make it look better.

I'd also accept feedback from others (anyone actually), although I'd let the devs have the final words.

I've actually gotten a few additional changes made since the third version, Although I haven't uploaded the fourth to my site yet, I'm still ironing out some parts here and there as it is a work in progress.

As soon as the final version gets thumbs up from the project developers, I would gladly give consent for having it uploaded anywhere, but not before - although I appreciate your interest.

Also, when the final version is agreed upon I'll render two copies of it, one of them scaled down for YouTube standards (they use a different resolution) and the other one left at 640x480.

EDIT: I'm currently uploading a fourth for feedback now...  (Please be patient while it uploads...)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 08:42:26 pm by Destructavator »

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 09:02:21 pm »
Not yet, please wait until the final version is done!

I'm waiting for input from the devs (Mattn, Winter, BTAxis, etc.) on what changes/additions they think would make it look better.

I'd also accept feedback from others (anyone actually), although I'd let the devs have the final words.

I've actually gotten a few additional changes made since the third version, Although I haven't uploaded the fourth to my site yet, I'm still ironing out some parts here and there as it is a work in progress.

As soon as the final version gets thumbs up from the project developers, I would gladly give consent for having it uploaded anywhere, but not before - although I appreciate your interest.

Also, when the final version is agreed upon I'll render two copies of it, one of them scaled down for YouTube standards (they use a different resolution) and the other one left at 640x480.

I think it's great, don't really have any comments. Really, brilliant work.

Regards,
Winter

Drag D

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 09:21:54 pm »
I like it very much , congrats also to the original music composer. Without it the video would not be so good.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 Promo Trailer
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 09:42:29 pm »
Thank you both for the feedback.

Here is the fourth version, with all the remaining glitches ironed out (at least the ones I could find):

www.destructavator.com/public/UFO_Promo_v2_2d.avi

The most noticeable changes are the very beginning (Something about the red static didn't seem to fit quite right) and the ending, which I think looks a little better now.

...congrats also to the original music composer. Without it the video would not be so good.

I don't recall off-hand the name of the original composer, but it's from one of the existing tracks already in the game.  IMO I like this track as well, I think it worked well for the vid.

EDIT:  If everyone thinks this fourth one is good, it's OK with me if we go with it as the final.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 09:55:22 pm by Destructavator »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 02:37:32 pm »
One thing though - no 3D geoscape? It's the default in 2.2, so it would make sense to show it off instead of the 2D one.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 Promo Trailer
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 02:49:31 pm »
Good point, I forgot about that - But there is one issue - Do we have a background of stars or something behind the Earth, as opposed to just empty blackness?  In the latest beta binary from the beta site I didn't see any background.

If you would still want me to include a few clips of the 3-D geoscape regardless, I can go ahead and do that, but it may not look quite as impressive without such a background.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 03:28:38 pm »
We have none, that's right. We want one, though.

Surrealistik

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 11:10:12 pm »
Please include the flashier, more visually appealing weapons such as the particle, laser, plasma series, and of course the flamethrower. Everyone loves a flamethrower.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 02:26:38 am »
Should I hold off on the next version until there is a background for the 3D geoscape?

Please include the flashier, more visually appealing weapons such as the particle, laser, plasma series, and of course the flamethrower. Everyone loves a flamethrower.

When I get the next version going, I'll keep this in mind, thanks for the feedback.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 05:39:57 pm »
Regarding the 3D geoscape background, what type of media would need to be created?  Could a simple BMP or JPEG of stars work?  Or does it need to actually be a 3D model of some kind?  If the first case would work, it shouldn't be to hard to come up with even a temporary background until one of the artists here could create something more eye-catching and impressive.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 05:55:48 pm »
Ideally, it should be a starry skybox with a sun moving through it. And maybe a moon as well.