project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alien Autopsies  (Read 23855 times)

Blywulf

Alien Autopsies
« on: December 23, 2007, 03:21:03 pm »
Hey there guys!

If you thought that I'm gone for good and no longer working on any UFO:AI related projects you were wrong! ;D I'm still active. I've been lurking around, cooperating with Winter and trying to come up with decent 2D artwork contributions.
In order to keep things clean I decided not to reactivate my old '2D artwork' thread and created a new one devoted exclusively to Alien Autopsy images. As a reminder, I decided to include the old 'Taman Autopsy' pic (see below).

The image below is the latest Ortnok autopsy pic.

As you can see the body itself is done, the only thing that's missing is the layer showing all the stuff this little bastard has inside (yeah, I'm talking about his internal organs). It still is a WIP (Work in Progress) image so you will see some changes introduced to things like lighting and possibly skin texture.

---UPDATE 11.01.2008---

I'm not sure if it's worth to keep the thread growing so I'll add all the new and updated images to the original message. Final result:

Comments and crits welcome.

---UPDATE 01.02.2008---

Yes, the pixelated square covers an alien ding-dong ;D

---UPDATE 15.02.2008---

Shevaar autopsy pic done.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 04:01:00 pm by Blywulf »

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: Alien Autopsies
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 04:35:28 pm »
The image below is the latest Ortnok autopsy pic.

As you can see the body itself is done, the only thing that's missing is the layer showing all the stuff this little bastard has inside (yeah, I'm talking about his internal organs). It still is a WIP (Work in Progress) image so you will see some changes introduced to things like lighting and possibly skin texture.
Comments and crits are welcome.

BTW Winter, drop me a line if you think you're done fleshing out the details of the 'research' screen.

I think it's great so far, but I don't know if it fully matches the Ortnok we're using, as sitters modelled a new one (although I'm not sure if we're using it at the moment or if we plan to use it at all). mattn, could you clarify?

I don't think I'll be able to mock up the research screen for a while yet, I'm afraid, as all my time is currently going into getting one of my novels edited for publication. I'll try and get it done for you sometime in the new year. Until then, please do more art for the game! ;)

Regards,
Winter

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 08:10:53 pm »
i can try - i don't think sitters' model will be a replacement, but an addition, no? why should be throw the "old" models in the trash? i like them and the autopsy image looks very very cool, too

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 08:34:11 pm »
i can try - i don't think sitters' model will be a replacement, but an addition, no? why should be throw the "old" models in the trash? i like them and the autopsy image looks very very cool, too

It's difficult because sitters' model differs too much from the old Ortnok to really be used as the same species, but not different enough to use as a whole new species. Maybe we could write it in as some kind of mutant version of the Ortnok, but I'm not sure I like that.

However, if you're happy to continue using the old Ortnok models for the Ortnok then so am I, and there should be nothing to stop Blywulf from finishing this autopsy.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 09:14:47 pm »
btw. blywulf - could you please upload the source psd files, too?

Blywulf

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 09:18:53 pm »
Could anyone of you guys post a link to a picture of that new Ortnok model? I checked all sitters' threads and made use of the 'search' option :) but it produced no results. I'll finish the autopsy pic anyway without introducing any major changes to the alien's looks but I'd still like to check out sitters' new 3D model.

Mattn - I'll upload the psd for the Taman and send you a PM with a link. The Ortnok pic will wait till it's done.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 09:35:43 pm »
I think the picture may have been in the thread that accidentally got deleted.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 10:25:39 pm »

Blywulf

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 10:55:17 pm »
did you update the taman? otherwise we have that psd already http://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai/ufoai/data_source/images/taman_autopsy.psd?view=log

It looks like it's the same image. I remember that I've added that light skin texture once the picture was complete but it seems that I've provided you with an updated sourcefile. :)

Offline freegamer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 01:47:55 am »
I have to say, those look absolutely ACE!  :o

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 09:02:32 am »
Could anyone of you guys post a link to a picture of that new Ortnok model? I checked all sitters' threads and made use of the 'search' option :) but it produced no results. I'll finish the autopsy pic anyway without introducing any major changes to the alien's looks but I'd still like to check out sitters' new 3D model.

Mattn - I'll upload the psd for the Taman and send you a PM with a link. The Ortnok pic will wait till it's done.

Here some pictures of the ortnok i make, I am working on better one, but when its not going to use I quit with it.

Willem

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 10:22:39 am »
well - i think that's up to winter and btaxis - but why should it not be another race? i honestly don't see the point of throwing one of the two models to trashcan - because they both look nice imo.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 10:44:39 am »
It's not different enough from the existing Ortnok to be a different race (it was never meant to be). The player is going to have to tell the different aliens apart at a glance, so having two different races that are basically green humanoids will only be confusing.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 11:10:15 am by BTAxis »

Blywulf

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 11:08:37 am »
To tell you the truth those models look almost the same. The texture seems to be the biggest difference. Which isnt all that bad because the autopsy pic can be applied to both Ortnok types. If it was up to me I'd have both models implemented. There's no need to create a separate alien race. Sitters' Ortnok is a bit more reptilian but IMO it's a positive thing - some diversity among a single alien species wouldnt hurt.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 11:37:17 am »
Here some pictures of the ortnok i make, I am working on better one, but when its not going to use I quit with it.

Willem

I think everyone agrees that we should use it, we just haven't figured out where yet, that's all.

Regards,
Winter