project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alien Autopsies  (Read 24216 times)

Blywulf

Re: Alien Autopsies
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2008, 10:49:10 am »

I felt it was lacking depth - as in contrasted color regions - and volumes seem a bit "pillow shaded" and blurry to me.

Agreed, I blame it on me using a mouse instead of a tablet. You have to remember though that most pictures you see posted here on the forums will be scaled down in-game, so they will look a bit better.

As for the injuries on alien bodies - I've thought of that myself but since we're not allowed to expose alien genitalia then why should we showcase wounds and mutilations? It can be added though, if people actually want it.

--edit--

Thread updated - Shevaar pre-autopsy picture. Check page 1.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 08:36:43 pm by Blywulf »

Drag D

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2008, 08:59:49 pm »
Blywulf, your art is great !

on the Shevaar , if i may express an opinion,visually it should be with genitalia visible or without reproductive organs at all (i think i prefer this). The pixelated version... i'm not for it.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2008, 09:09:33 pm »
. . . Yes, the mosaic censoring doesn't work. A complete lack of genitalia would be preferable. That tends to be the standard way of displaying aliens anyway, and we can just say they're kept inside the body.

Regards,
Winter

Blywulf

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2008, 09:21:16 pm »
Alright then... it shall be neutered :'(

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2008, 01:18:32 am »
I actually thought that the aliens didn't even have genitalia anymore - maybe I was just thinking of X-Com, where the aliens are cloned.

Blywulf

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2008, 01:36:21 pm »
I actually thought that the aliens didn't even have genitalia anymore - maybe I was just thinking of X-Com, where the aliens are cloned.

Well, Wiki says the Shevaar have a mating ritual so I suppose they do not mulitply by cloning.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »
Besides mammals, most earth lifeforms keep their genitals inside their body most of the time.  Other animals have rather different reproductive strategies, and thus different equipment.

It's really not unreasonable to assume that the aliens don't have external, recognizable genitals

nemchenk

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2008, 11:44:52 pm »
As for the injuries on alien bodies - I've thought of that myself but since we're not allowed to expose alien genitalia then why should we showcase wounds and mutilations?

But isn't showing the alien opened up on an autopsy table already "evil"? What's a few bullet holes after we show them sliced open? Just pointing out some odd logic...

nemchenk :)

Surrealistik

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 12:20:03 am »
Seriously. If you're not mature enough to see an alien's 'pee pee' you shouldn't be playing UFO:AI in the first place.

Blywulf

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2008, 11:49:45 am »
New Shevaar autopsy pics on page 1. Mattn - you'll get the sourcefile once I deal with messy layers and tweak a thing or two. :)

http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2005.0
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 11:53:42 am by Blywulf »

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2008, 12:05:52 pm »
Excellent work, Blywulf, but I'd like to request one change -- in the autopsy writeup it's mentioned that the Shevaar chest is a solid shield of bone. I don't see any evidence of that in the autopsy image. It'd be nice if there were broken edges of bone poking out from the sides, like the Ortnok's metal chest shield.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2008, 12:29:36 pm »
excellent - very good work

Blywulf

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2008, 12:37:53 pm »
Excellent work, Blywulf, but I'd like to request one change -- in the autopsy writeup it's mentioned that the Shevaar chest is a solid shield of bone. I don't see any evidence of that in the autopsy image. It'd be nice if there were broken edges of bone poking out from the sides, like the Ortnok's metal chest shield.

Regards,
Winter

Oh there is bone but I suppose it's not visible enough and therefore it can be identified as parts of skin tissue. I'll re-work that part.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2008, 12:41:17 pm »
which also reminds me... can you generate a taman image without the organs? like you did for the ortnok and and the shevaar, too? it's not included in the psd source file - if you do, please also submit the psd source again ;)

Blywulf

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2008, 01:08:29 pm »
which also reminds me... can you generate a taman image without the organs? like you did for the ortnok and and the shevaar, too? it's not included in the psd source file - if you do, please also submit the psd source again ;)

Will do. I'll have to draw it first though. The original image does not iclude a pre-autopsy view of a Taman.