project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alien Autopsies  (Read 24225 times)

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Autopsies
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2007, 12:10:00 pm »

I give the new model skin the same muscle structure as the one make by blywolf.

Willem

Blywulf

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 02:00:15 pm »
Cool. Cant wait to see it finished.
BTW Sitters, It would be nice if you could supply me with unwrapped wires of the model (just make that .tga or whatever that file is available for download). I'd be willing to create my own version of the texture for the Ortnok model.

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 03:55:37 pm »
Cool. Cant wait to see it finished.
BTW Sitters, It would be nice if you could supply me with unwrapped wires of the model (just make that .tga or whatever that file is available for download). I'd be willing to create my own version of the texture for the Ortnok model.

Ok , great.

I have here the model and the unwrapped UV maps.
The maps are in photo shop format 2 layers 1024X1024
one layer the UV map and one for painting

http://www.md2.sitters-electronics.nl/render/UVmap_ortnok.rar

I have also old software for painting on 3D , its working with photo shop together.
I don't use it myself ( i use cinema 4D ), but maybe you want to have it.
I can give you an link by PM, if you like.

Willem
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 04:08:02 pm by sitters »

Blywulf

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 07:43:27 pm »
Thread updated - see 1st message.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 08:16:30 pm »
nice job - can you upload the source files, too please? can i commit the image already? or will there be any more changes?

Blywulf

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 09:02:09 pm »
I dont think I'll introduce any changes at this point. I'll upload the sourcefile once I have the layers properly set up.

Ildamos

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 06:11:49 am »
I thought there are metal plates underneath the thing's skin/rib cage? I read that in the wiki. Just asking.

Blywulf

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 01:49:46 pm »
Umm... there is some metal plating to be seen right underneath the Ortnok's skin... The plates were cut off exposing the internal organs - a sharp shiny edge is clearly visible (we're talking about the green guy, not the blue one, right?). If it does not look convincing enough then I'll get back to work and try to make it look better... although I'm not really sure what I could do in order to improve it.

Ildamos

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 02:22:39 pm »
I just noticed it. Sorry about that.  ;D

It's one continuous metal plate that's why I missed it. It would look better if it were divided into parts though. This would ensure optimal mobility.

Just my opinion.

Blywulf

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 03:45:37 pm »
It's not really continuous, there are three separate elements...

Ildamos

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 06:22:40 pm »
The lines look as if they're just millimeters deep resulting in the plates looking as one.

Don't worry about it, I'm just fussing over minor details. The overall look is good. But if you want to edit it, you can "extend" the demarcation lines deeper so that it will become immediately apparent that it's made up of three plates. 

Stefano

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 03:49:47 am »
Hey, people! Lovely images you did there Blywulf.

Although I'm new around here, I would like to start to participate. Here are some suggestions on how to improve your image even further(it's pretty sketchy. Sorry):

Basically what I changed was the anatomy that seem to be pretty much human to me, except for a couple of features... I have no idea if we have a post/wiki entry detailing these aliens. I most certainly could not find it, but I'm guessing Ortnok are reptilian based humanoids? If that's the case I think it would add a lot of character if we actually borrowed elements from the reptiles anatomy, instead of just using their scales/absence of nose.

Also in this position, since the anatomy is mostly human, his mouth would probably be opened, because of his back muscles lifting his head.

I felt it was lacking depth - as in contrasted color regions - and volumes seem a bit "pillow shaded" and blurry to me.

The injuries seemed to be missing from the dead alien as before he died, he was probably shot or pierced in some way. Anyway it's just a suggestion.
I mean that's something that has always bugged me on old Microprose's games and I felt it would make the whole scene more believable.

I hope this is the kind of C&C you guys are looking for.
I'm working on more stuff to contribute.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 02:30:03 pm »
Hey, people! Lovely images you did there Blywulf.

Although I'm new around here, I would like to start to participate. Here are some suggestions on how to improve your image even further(it's pretty sketchy. Sorry):

Hey Stefano,

Some nice suggestions there, but one big point you missed -- in the current writeup Ortnoks don't have blood. Nutrients and such are passed through pressurised air tubes, and XVI inhabits the liquid gel that composes their central nervous system.

Regards,
Winter

Stefano

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2008, 04:50:14 pm »
I have no idea if we have a post/wiki entry detailing these aliens.

Yeah. As said that's what I was kind of expected. :P
I was hoping that at least the description of the technique would be helpful.

Anyways I'll keep playing and reading.
In the meantime please feel free to educate me. ;D

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2008, 07:32:00 pm »
Yeah. As said that's what I was kind of expected. :P
I was hoping that at least the description of the technique would be helpful.

Anyways I'll keep playing and reading.
In the meantime please feel free to educate me. ;D

Check out the wiki, you can find all of our writeups there under the links in the 'General' category or by searching.

Did you do the sketch as a proposal to rework the autopsy image yourself, or just as suggestions for Blywulf?

Regards,
Winter