project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Sending Out Multiple Interceptors?  (Read 5645 times)

addams013

Sending Out Multiple Interceptors?
« on: December 06, 2007, 12:58:09 pm »
I'm running pre2.2 build 12879.  If a UFO drifts into the radar of more than one base, I still only get the option to launch one armed aircraft from one base.  Do you want players to be able to launch more than one aircraft?  Or, at the very least, do you want them to be able to choose which craft to launch if there are several within radar range?

(I can successfully send any dropship I wish to the crash site, however.)

I haven't said it yet, and I think I'm overdue.  Thanks to all of you for creating one of the best games I've played in years!

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Sending Out Multiple Interceptors?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 03:22:42 pm »
I'm running pre2.2 build 12879.  If a UFO drifts into the radar of more than one base, I still only get the option to launch one armed aircraft from one base.  Do you want players to be able to launch more than one aircraft?  Or, at the very least, do you want them to be able to choose which craft to launch if there are several within radar range?

it should already be possible to lauch every available interceptor from every base (that has weapon(s) and ammo) to fight a ufo - please try the latest beta installers (but be warned, that you can't use your 'old' savegames)

addams013

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 02:06:49 pm »
it should already be possible to lauch every available interceptor from every base (that has weapon(s) and ammo) to fight a ufo - please try the latest beta installers (but be warned, that you can't use your 'old' savegames)

Okay -- I finally built up to a point where I can try this in 132xx.  Unfortunately, whenever I double-click on a UFO in flight, I still only get the option to send out the dropship from my original base (PHALANX HQ, renamed "Base Alpha", placed somewhere around Germany).  Even when a UFO flies into the radar range of base number three ("Base Gamma", about in the middle of Brazil), even though that base has its own armed dropship with soldier complement (and it's done arming -- I checked!), I will only have the option to launch my Base Alpha dropship to intercept.

And I never get the chance to launch my crewed and armed interceptors in any case.

If and when the UFO is shot down or lands, however, I can send any dropship I own to the site.

While I'm on this, I've noticed some other weirdnesses.  It used to be that three radars would cover roughly half the planet -- now they barely cover an area as large as the United States (with the exception of Base Alpha, which seems to be blind no matter how many radars I add).  And there seem to be a lot more UFOs flying around much earlier in the game.  All of this may be normal, though, for all I know.  :)

Thanks for your patience.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 03:26:29 pm »
armed means? they need weapon AND ammo - this is done automatically in most recent version, but i'm not sure for the version you are using.

addams013

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 09:14:22 pm »
armed means? they need weapon AND ammo - this is done automatically in most recent version, but i'm not sure for the version you are using.

I've bought aircraft weapons and aircraft ammo at Base Gamma and installed weapons, armor, and extras (just fuel pods at this point) on the Base Gamma aircraft.  I've hired a soldier, equipped her, and assigned her as pilot of the Base Gamma interceptor.  I've also hired eight soldiers, equipped them, and assigned them to the Base Gamma dropship.  Is there anything more I need to do to make sure I can use the Base Gamma aircraft to intercept a UFO in flight (is there a separate step for making sure the weapons are armed, for example)?

I'm using pre2.2 build 132xx (that's as specific as the beta site I downloaded it from was; it was dated 2007-12-04).

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 04:42:39 pm »
While I'm on this, I've noticed some other weirdnesses.  It used to be that three radars would cover roughly half the planet -- now they barely cover an area as large as the United States (with the exception of Base Alpha, which seems to be blind no matter how many radars I add).

We recently changed how radar work. Now, the radar range does not depend anymore on the number of radar you have (1 is enough).

I've bought aircraft weapons and aircraft ammo at Base Gamma and installed weapons, armor, and extras (just fuel pods at this point) on the Base Gamma aircraft.  I've hired a soldier, equipped her, and assigned her as pilot of the Base Gamma interceptor.  I've also hired eight soldiers, equipped them, and assigned them to the Base Gamma dropship.  Is there anything more I need to do to make sure I can use the Base Gamma aircraft to intercept a UFO in flight (is there a separate step for making sure the weapons are armed, for example)?

There was a bug I just fixed in current trunk (r13460). With the revision you have, a workaround should be to remove and add again the ammo of each of your aircraft weapons. (I hope ;) )

addams013

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 05:10:33 pm »
We recently changed how radar work. Now, the radar range does not depend anymore on the number of radar you have (1 is enough).

That's interesting.  A little more realistic, too, it seems to me, from the point of view of trying to cover the planet.  Thanks for letting me know.

Any insight on why Base Alpha (my renamed PHALANX HQ) continues to be blind?  Should I tear down all my Base Alpha radars -- even the one that came with the base -- and build a new one?  (It seems unlikely, given the activity on my active radars, that no UFOs would be flying over Europe at all -- and besides, my Base Alpha dropship has been shot down by something close by as soon as it takes off, which I imagine the Base Alpha radar should have been able to see.)

There was a bug I just fixed in current trunk (r13460). With the revision you have, a workaround should be to remove and add again the ammo of each of your aircraft weapons. (I hope ;) )

Hm.  I tried emptying my inventory of SHIVA rounds (my Gamma Base dropship has a SHIVA cannon), then buying a small pile of them, but I still can't get my Gamma Base dropship as an option when a UFO flies into the scope of my Gamma Base radar.

Do you have any idea when the next Windows build will be posted to the beta site?

Thanks again for your time.

addams013

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 12:49:20 pm »
Do you have any idea when the next Windows build will be posted to the beta site?

Got it!  Thanks again.

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 02:42:06 pm »
Hm.  I tried emptying my inventory of SHIVA rounds (my Gamma Base dropship has a SHIVA cannon), then buying a small pile of them, but I still can't get my Gamma Base dropship as an option when a UFO flies into the scope of my Gamma Base radar.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. You must not go in the buy/sell menu. You must go in the "equip" menu of you aircraft, where you choose the weapon you add or remove to your aircraft. In this menu, you click on the 3rd zone of the screen, where the name of the ammo of your weapon is written. The green rectangle in which this name is written should then become white.
Once this is done, you click on the trash button to the left of this white rectangle (to remove the ammo), and then on the button with a "+" sign on it (to add a new ammo).

Now you go back to geoscape, and try to attack a UFO. It should work.