project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2.2 dev bugs and suggestions  (Read 5173 times)

Offline harkejuice

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
2.2 dev bugs and suggestions
« on: December 05, 2007, 02:12:29 am »
just finished the rather addictive human campaign as far as it would let me go and I've racked up a few bugs...

In the map with the rather large alien spaceship, where the mission is to "stop the aliens from spreading their virus!" all the ramps in the game (not stairs) have a bug where when you get to the top of the ramp, before getting onto the 2nd level, the soldier becomes stuck and unable to advance, no move square is valid, but is otherwise okay.

production sometimes shows up (null) and will not accept more than one production, and throws an error (too many aircraft, production paused.

story events are way off, getting virus notification weeks after the first virus spread info, the timing of information in general is spotty.

troops move through walls to bisect corners, (even though the move would have been valid, and takes up the same amount of points, its annoying to suddenlty be behind your target, then between a wall and your target.

Suggestions:

Civillians should run away from the aliens and hide or try to.

Mines, shootable from a distance, can be set off by explosions or stepping on them.

Ballistic shields, usable only with one-handed weaponry (upgradable after alien materials/alien armor)

Different types of gun ammunition, hollow point, fmj...e.t.c.

plasma rockets.

larger dropships, (probably not possible, but it think i saw some random maps, unless they were two different ones)

smaller dropships, (sometimes you don't need 8 )

A tabular system, where all base functions can be accessed without changing what was on the page, for example:

You can switch between the equip aircraft screen and the buy aircraft parts screen by a context-sensitive row of tabs at the top (constant switching between that horribly placed lower right button is a pain on the wrists). Same goes for the equip troops screen, which would have a series of related tabs, like buy equipment, hire employees, assign troops...assign heavy equipment...

Equipment presets, when you assign a team to an aircraft and go to the equipment screen, you should be able to load up a preset at a mouse click, through a dropdown menu, or make a new one and save/rename existing presets...some conventions:

If equipment isn't avaliable to completely equip the soldier BUT its buyable AND theres enough funds, it will be yellow. When you click, it will ask to buy X item(s) for X credits? Yes will buy that item and equip, no, will leave without that specific piece(s) of gear.

If its not avaliable BUT its NOT buyable but able to be produced, it will be blue, and when production is complete it will auto-equip the soldier with said gear (in the mean time he/she will be without that gear).

If its neither avaliable, nor buyable, nor producable, the preset will load up as best it can, show a warning (Warning, the following was not avaliable for purchase or production, please re-equip).

Whole crews can be preset, to speed the deployment even further, medium assault, heavy weapons, sniper and cover, fast tactical, defense, fast assault, alien weaponry only, heavy armor...

besides everything, the tabular system, or a better method of base management is probaly the most cumbersome, the interface is great artwise, but its just not easy to micromanage more than one base without getting tedious (didnt stop me from playing). Especially the building/equipping of aircraft or more than one dropship. a preset system, or buying aircraft pre-assembled, as well as "barebones") would be a big time saver. Of course, the option to do every little thing by mouse click would be still there, as well as compltely customizing every preset to suit whatever playstyle. (would help people more interested in alien-killing than base management. The way it is, it only takes away from the game, and gives very little, well..considering you dont get bases stormed or bombed yet, but I wouldn't like to have to spend an hour fixing and equipping four stilettos in four different bases.

other less, carefully thought out suggestions...

Dog fights, air combat (blank sky with ground texture, the z-level changer just moves the cursor up or down the height, (would give players with more skill at tactics a benefit of being able to not lose 1 aircraft and 1 soldier every time a harvester shows up). Also, would allow soldiers to be able to gain pilot skills (handling making a plane faster, turn quicker (costing more tu's for a sharp turn {and aircraft damage, the g-stress, e.t.c} a full 20 tu's to change direction. Probably alot easier than I make it seem, but basically miniatured aircraft models, with a huge map balanced by the lack of models and textures minus the clouds, floor and aircraft.

small, tactical missions requiring short-range craft with crew, like a dragon or stingray interceptor with an extra seat, these could be fielded for simple rescue infiltration, sabotage or investigation missions.

mission types, actual defense of an installation, where the installation is a radar dish, convoy truck with precious materials/recovered tech/ship.

Alien type: Stealth, cloaking alien that is invisible without IR goggles or IR implants (maybe), fast, carries light weapons, but virtually no armor. major balance I imagine its visible during the day, so waiting for certain missions to be lit up by the sun would help, but one could also utilize flashlights(UV) to light up the alien an arc infront of a player, or maybe headlamps (another form of headgear). Or perhaps flashlights on the weapons themselves, perhaps only with standard arms. When the alien shoots, his cloaking turns off and he has to use the ability again to become cloaked, the alien may de-cloak at any time or not choose to use the skill, (if its day). It can be flash-bang vulnerable disrupting the sensitive photo-sensors, taking it out of cloak, as well as limiting TU's next turn (or stunning). armed with a pair or single plasma pistol, a light rifle, or a kerrblade. ooo scary :D

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: 2.2 dev bugs and suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 08:02:34 am »
thanks for the reports - but please be a little bit more precise: which version are us using exactly? (which revision that is - or build date) - do you have savegames for us to reproduce some bugs?

In the map with the rather large alien spaceship, where the mission is to "stop the aliens from spreading their virus!" all the ramps in the game (not stairs) have a bug where when you get to the top of the ramp, before getting onto the 2nd level, the soldier becomes stuck and unable to advance, no move square is valid, but is otherwise okay.
Please make screenshots of mapbugs - that helps us a lot

production sometimes shows up (null) and will not accept more than one production, and throws an error (too many aircraft, production paused.
production of what? aircraft? or normal items?

story events are way off, getting virus notification weeks after the first virus spread info, the timing of information in general is spotty.
we will look into this

troops move through walls to bisect corners, (even though the move would have been valid, and takes up the same amount of points, its annoying to suddenlty be behind your target, then between a wall and your target.
these are mapbugs, too - please make screenshots

Offline harkejuice

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 08:42:56 pm »
thanks for the reports - but please be a little bit more precise: which version are us using exactly? (which revision that is - or build date) - do you have savegames for us to reproduce some bugs?

I can't remember off the top of my head which date I downloaded, I apologize, as soon as I get home I will check that version, reproduce bugs with youtube, as they are not really screen-capturable except when moving....also, I'll catch the latest version and post any updates on the aforementioned bugs.

production of what? aircraft? or normal items?

Kicking myself here for saving over that same file as the game progressed...but, Production of any item, the base will alert the player that the queqe is empty. Then when you select the base, and go to production. (null) shows up instead of the to be produced item. This goes for any item, including aircraft. After a mission and leaving the production queqe blank until the next month, the bug was gone. Again, I will try to reproduce and be more specific.

Offline Asketh

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 04:16:52 pm »
version: 2.2 dev Win xp
PC: AMD X2 3600+ 1Gb radeon x1950 pro

few bugs:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/Shak_alex/ufo04.jpg
pic from sub machine gun, title micro shotgun.

problem with text http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/Shak_alex/ufo00.jpg
lang: Russian

and I've seen drop fps(from 60-80 to 2-9) when read text in russian, in ufopedia, building desc. With english text is all ok.

[vt]vitus

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 07:06:20 pm »
version: 2.2 dev Win xp
PC: AMD X2 3600+ 1Gb radeon x1950 pro

few bugs:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/Shak_alex/ufo04.jpg
pic from sub machine gun, title micro shotgun.

problem with text http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/Shak_alex/ufo00.jpg
lang: Russian

and I've seen drop fps(from 60-80 to 2-9) when read text in russian, in ufopedia, building desc. With english text is all ok.

This bug only in Russian locale. In french & Other locales text Ok.

Other bug with Russian texts - Russian text is _very_ slow scroll in Ufopedia & other place with large text place.

diman27

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 12:46:18 pm »
I have same problem.
Problem similar in a code.
When I in English ufoai.mo have written аs translation "Штурмовая винтовка" it have appeared up to "Assault Riffle" in game.

В общем как можно посмотреть код и сравнив его с другими найти проблему?  :)

diman27

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:44:45 am »
There can be a problem in windows dont correst display "\n"?

[vt]vitus

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 07:55:20 pm »
This bug only in Russian locale. In french & Other locales text Ok.

Other bug with Russian texts - Russian text is _very_ slow scroll in Ufopedia & other place with large text place.

I found bug.
Bug in the ufoai/src/client/cl_market.c file function static void BS_AddToList (const char *name, int storage, int market, int price)

char shortName[36];

Com_sprintf(shortName, sizeof(shortName), "%s\n", _(name));
Q_strcat(bsMarketNames, shortName, sizeof(bsMarketNames));

if name has more that 36 char (~ 18-20 real utf8 symbols), world cut without  '\n' symbols in the end of shortName and '\n' dons't copy to bsMarketNames.

I think good solution is write and use normal utf8 struct (instead of char *) everywhere. Modify string func that cut, copy and other operation works with symbols not chars.
"By works" solution:

--- src/client/cl_market.c      (revision 15265)
+++ src/client/cl_market.c      (working copy)
@@ -226,7 +226,7 @@
 static void BS_AddToList (const char *name, int storage, int market, int price)
 {
        /* MAX_MARKET_MENU_ENTRIES items in the list (of length 1024) */
-       char shortName[36];
+       char shortName[36 * 2];

Com_sprintf(shortName, sizeof(shortName), "%s\n", _(name));
        Q_strcat(bsMarketNames, shortName, sizeof(bsMarketNames));

Sorry for ugly english :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 08:17:41 pm by [vt]vitus »

Yamboo

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 10:06:08 am »

expirienced the same problem, mission was at TODO in western africa. it's about the ramps within the large ufo, by clicking at the 2. step of the ramp, you get stuck and can't move. clicking at the spot right in front the ramp but at the next level makes the soldier move from bottom to first step, then jump right to the next level and get to the spot clicked. so he just avoides the bugged spot by itself. also expirienced this buggy spots in a mission in arctica industries. no screenshots available, sorry.

Silvertunga

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 08:15:14 am »
I have encountered a few bugs playing just now. When I first encountered the "humans" infected by the virus that was in a mission to recover a chrashed ufo fighter. The "humans" were ortnoks, and they weren't attacking me, they were killing off each other. Might be that's why you always seem to win on auto missions.

Those same ortnoks also counted as human prisoners so I got to research the virusrelated topics.

I also experienced a crash to desktop when trying to produce a dropship in my fourth base, no message or anything, just complete shut down.