project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Cooperative Research and Aircraft Construction?  (Read 3409 times)

addams013

Cooperative Research and Aircraft Construction?
« on: December 04, 2007, 02:24:01 pm »
Are there any plans to include cooperative research?  If I have several particle rifles lying around, I'd like to be able to share them among several bases and have the scientists in all those bases researching particle rifles (to shorten research time) -- assuming that they can ccoordinate their research over the Internet or something.  (It might not be as efficient as having all the scientists conducting the research be all in one place, since there'd be a much greater chance of one base duplicating some of another base's research, but it shouldn't be flatly impossible.)  I'd also like to be able to "hand off" research to other bases -- if Base A started researching particle rifles, and later sent some to Base B, allowing Base B to research particle rifles alongside Base A, then something interesting came to Base A, I'd like them to be able to drop particle rifles to go check out the new shiny thing while Base B continues looking into them.

I'd also like to be able to make aircraft, not just buy them, if I have the production facilities for it.  If possible, it would be nice to be able to manufacture aircraft components, too, like the weapons and the armor and such.

In a related vein, is there any plan in the future for being able to monitor the progress of things that are being transferred from one base to another?

Thanks for your time.  Sorry for the long post.

Punkiee

Re: Cooperative Research and Aircraft Construction?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 11:31:30 am »
Cooperative research is an sich a worth wile and logical extension of the research system. However i think of it more as polishing the system and not as a real feature. Hence very low priority.

Constructing aircraftparts is not an addition to the gameplay.

Transferring items should be revamped a bit indeed.

addams013

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 03:48:58 pm »
Constructing aircraftparts is not an addition to the gameplay.

I'm not sure that's true.  I've experienced some frustration when I haven't been able to outfit all my aircraft with particle beam weapons to create a decent global fleet of interceptors.  Even if I had to wait a really long time for a team of manufacturers in my base to make more, at least I'd feel like I was making some progress toward this goal.

Surrealistik

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 08:47:50 pm »
The idea of cooperative research is genuinely brilliant, and should certainly be implimented. As you've stated, while it wouldn't be as efficient as a research team working in the same physical location, it would still serve to accelerate progress considerably.

I also agree with refinements to item transfer mechanics. There should be a status page or interface which permits you to monitor logistics progress.