project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2.2 Release: Dead Civilians count?  (Read 22371 times)

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 Release: Dead Civilians count?
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2008, 04:03:08 am »
speaking of metaphorical horses... how about "beating a dead horse."

The developers recognize that the civilian death count in 2.2 is not good.

Quote from: BTAxis earlier in this thread
Just to make something clear, we do plan on making civilian casualties count towards nation happiness. But civilians dying in the GEU won't affect how Oceania thinks about you. The loss condition for too many casualties is supposed to be something separate that applies to every civilian loss.

Of course, the hard limit like it is now should eventually be replaced by something dynamic, possibly a decay. That means that you'd only lose the game if you let too many civilians die in a short time. The precise implementation of this is not clear yet, though.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2008, 05:12:24 am »
"The precise implementation of this is not clear yet, though."

You could make a first hack without thinking much about it ;)

Lets say on every mission around 3 civilians die. If 5 die, this number is too hugh, thus adjust the decay towards this~ (depends on the difficulty level maybe as well)

Offline Hell-Fire

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2008, 01:50:41 am »
Hi,

I really like the changes made with this version, except for the civ count.  There have been several missions where I couldn't save any civs.  Even if I had my troops go running in and a lot of them gets wiped out, I still can't save the civs, since the first few rounds the aliens have already shot half of them.

You really need to get rid of that civ count and just apply their deaths to the supporting country's happiness  in their support.  I have tried many different tactics to save the civs, but still, by the time my troops get deployed and out where the aliens are hiding, most of the civs are dead.

At least in the X-com games, you had 5 to 10 rounds to get your troops out and about before civs got killed and at least those civs did make an attempt to run away from the aliens, instead towards them.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2008, 07:28:27 am »
this was changed in 2.2.1 (which was just released a few minutes ago)