project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Renders  (Read 91138 times)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: Renders
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2007, 08:35:23 pm »
The craft is finish, some shots,

Willm

I like the detail and smoothness, nice work, Sitters. Just a couple of comments.

1) It doesn't seem to have any orbital cannons as on the original model, which play an important part in the backstory.

2) The side with the thrusters now looks really bland, containing nothing but engines. Perhaps we can mount the cannons on a dome on this side, as the side with the thrusters would be the one facing Earth from orbit (a big flaw in my original design).

Micrometeor scars result from tiny specks of matter impacting the craft at extreme velocities. The Carrier never reaches that kind of velocity. It uses FTL to jump to its destination and then travels around at relatively low speeds (low in the sense that micrometeor impacts have no appreciable effect, certainly not on alien materials). Of course, it's still possible for the micrometeors themselves to travel at extreme velocities relative to the Carrier, but then the scars should be on every side, not just the front side.

Fair to say, I just figured it would be most apparent on the front.

Regards,
Winter

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2007, 08:40:07 pm »
I like the detail and smoothness, nice work, Sitters. Just a couple of comments.

1) It doesn't seem to have any orbital cannons as on the original model, which play an important part in the backstory.

2) The side with the thrusters now looks really bland, containing nothing but engines. Perhaps we can mount the cannons on a dome on this side, as the side with the thrusters would be the one facing Earth from orbit (a big flaw in my original design).

Fair to say, I just figured it would be most apparent on the front.

Regards,
Winter

They are there on the top of the model four of them, small cannons, look carefully above the bridge, on an platform that also can rotate.

But I can mount more weapons, and there are of cause also hidden weapons in the four corners.

Willem

« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 08:56:55 pm by sitters »

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2007, 09:17:36 pm »
They are there on the top of the model four of them, small cannons, look carefully above the bridge, on an platform that also can rotate.

But I can mount more weapons, and there are of cause also hidden weapons in the four corners.

Willem

I'm afraid I still can't make them out.

Some nice big cannons on a central dome on the engine side would be very nice, though.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2007, 09:43:29 pm »
I agree with everybody in that the new ships look great. If I had to nitpick the animation, it would be that the combined volume of the ships leaving the carrier are much greater than the carrier itself. :P Otherwise, excellent work! ;)

Personally, I think the carrier needs plenty more greebles/nurnies or something to break it up visually and give it the kind of massive feel it needs - which is of course bad to do for gameplay reasons, but possibly essential for pre-rendered movies. Adding to that are the lack of any recognizable reference points to give it scale, too.

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2007, 10:04:41 pm »
I agree with everybody in that the new ships look great. If I had to nitpick the animation, it would be that the combined volume of the ships leaving the carrier are much greater than the carrier itself. :P Otherwise, excellent work! ;)

Personally, I think the carrier needs plenty more greebles/nurnies or something to break it up visually and give it the kind of massive feel it needs - which is of course bad to do for gameplay reasons, but possibly essential for pre-rendered movies. Adding to that are the lack of any recognizable reference points to give it scale, too.

The problem is the Md2 format, poly count and only one material, I can put some winter cannons in.

I don't think it is smart to make an beautiful giant eye candy Carrier for an movie with a lot of constructions, and in the game you have an other one.

when people looks at an movie they expect the same in the game.

Willem

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2007, 10:29:30 pm »
this model will never be visibile in any maps - because it's way too big, it should also never be visible on the globe - only as a model in the ufopedia (or maybe a render screen - but in this case we would need more render screens for the other ufos, too ;) )

this model is only needed to tell the story (correct me when i'm wrong Winter or BTAxis)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2007, 10:33:16 pm »
this model will never be visibile in any maps - because it's way too big, it should also never be visible on the globe - only as a model in the ufopedia (or maybe a render screen - but in this case we would need more render screens for the other ufos, too ;) )

this model is only needed to tell the story (correct me when i'm wrong Winter or BTAxis)

Well, I was thinking it would make for some nice cutscenes as well (such as a nice little animation of the storyline Carrier being shot down by the PHALANX-adapted space launch gun). But yeah, it should never be seen too up-close -- the Carrier chunks seen in the Carrier tac mission will have to be modelled individually.

Regards,
Winter

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2007, 02:09:44 pm »
Then it is what you people like, do you want an movie with an high tech carrier or with this one.

Let me know.

Willem

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2007, 03:04:39 pm »
We definitely like this one. Though Winter wants more conspicuous guns, of course. But definitely go with this.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2007, 05:35:06 pm »
We definitely like this one. Though Winter wants more conspicuous guns, of course. But definitely go with this.

Agreed. I really like this one, and I'd very much like to see it with my suggested modifications.

Regards,
Winter

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2007, 05:39:33 pm »
I make an movie, it is 12MB and the coder is XVID ( mpeg4 ).
I used on the end,  the clip of Destructavator.
Maybe you like it ( its an bloody render time ).

The link :

http://www.md2.sitters-electronics.nl/Models2/ufoai1.avi

Willem
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 05:44:14 pm by sitters »

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2007, 07:36:16 pm »
I make an movie, it is 12MB and the coder is XVID ( mpeg4 ).
I used on the end,  the clip of Destructavator.
Maybe you like it ( its an bloody render time ).

The link :

http://www.md2.sitters-electronics.nl/Models2/ufoai1.avi

Willem

It looks great, but I think you're still misinterpreting how the Carrier moves around. It's propelled by the green thruster exhausts on the bottom -- not from any of the UFO launch bays on its four sides, like you're showing in the video. So the bottom of the UFO (when stationary) is the back of the UFO (when moving).

(Just so you know, this isn't a sudden change, I've been saying this since I first made the Carrier and several times since you started doing animations with/remodelling it.)

Regards,
Winter

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2007, 07:49:00 pm »
I agree that it looks great, but obviously it has its quirks that can be fixed. ;) You seemed to forget to give your particles at the end a direction, which you did in the earlier animation. I'd actually go so far to say that the number of ships coming out should be so low that you don't need particles - just animate the smaller ships by hand.

Are your changes to the carrier mostly finished? I'd also like a shot at doing a few animations, too.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2007, 08:37:59 am »
wow - it looks cool - but as an intro it could be a little bit longer imo

and the only thing that i've noticed is that the fighter don't leave the carrier in the correct angle - rotating them 10 degree left side should do it (a guess)

other than that - very nice and high quality work

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2007, 04:04:38 pm »

Thanks guys, I can make an new animation, following the formula of Winter.
but then I must know if you use it, because it cost a lot of time making this stuff.

I you don't going to use this kind of animations then i don't put more energy in it.

Willem