project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Noob question: campaign.ufo documentation  (Read 4023 times)

sage

Noob question: campaign.ufo documentation
« on: January 19, 2008, 10:00:37 pm »
Hello,

Where can I find comments on what the campaign.ufo values do? Thanks,

S

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Noob question: campaign.ufo documentation
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 10:27:44 pm »

sage

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 03:44:02 am »
That's a good start.

I would be interesting in knowing what the 'Difficulty' value does. Does that effect tactical battles?

I would also be interested in understanding some of the campaign design philosophy. It seems like money is extremely plentiful in the early game. Are you supposed to establish several bases very early in the game?

Offline tobbe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 10:17:04 am »
I dont know if you are SUPPOSED to build bases early, but i usually build my full set of bases in May...one extended research bases, one extended production base and 5 radar/interception bases...

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 12:47:43 pm »
The difficulty parameter doesn't do that much yet. One thing it does do is make the aliens take less damage and deal more on high (positive) difficulties. And vice versa.

sage

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 08:54:03 pm »
Cool, thank you. Looking through posts and the TODO notes in the campaign files, it looks like the campaign is pretty linear right now? i.e. The player advances stages when either they win a minimum number of battles, or play a larger number.

Nation happiness and defection is not implemented, and the amount nations provide is always unchanging? e.g. 'Happiness' and 'Alien Friendly' are not calculated?

Is my understanding correct? Or will nations in fact stop payment to the player based on success / failure of missions (and the comment in the script is out of date?).

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 09:00:10 pm »
You're basically right, yes. The campaign we have now is not much more than a placeholder for something better. Hopefully, we'll have something better by 2.3.