project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New User - Gameplay stuttering  (Read 5792 times)

MidnightMan

New User - Gameplay stuttering
« on: January 17, 2008, 09:09:21 pm »
Pardon me if this is the wrong spot, but this is my first few hours with your game. First let me thank you for this, I played the original and look forward to the new vision your team has brought.

As to my problem, very strange. The first time I played it was fine, but this am when I tried again it stuttered, not the sound, it was fine, but the cursor and game play was so slow as to make the game unplayable. Long seconds between freezes making it hard to do anything tactically.

I searched the forum, but only sounds see to be stuttering so those solutions did not seem to apply.

Since I am still going over the material perhaps there may be something in the docs, but I thought it would be best to ask and see if there was an existing solution.

I just downloaded this from Gameborder and it ran fine the first time, so hopefully we can get it to run. I mean I run Bioshock, COD4 on the unit without problems, so it's not horsepower and in singleplayer mode the net should not cause stuttering should it?

I ckd background task and processor usdage and the game is eating the processor, then dropping it, then fully utilizing it again. Is there a background task to be tweaked?

In any case any help is appreciated as this looks like I can have many hours of fun here.

Regards
Midnight Man
It's a jungle out there!

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: New User - Gameplay stuttering
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »
give us some more insight to your system specs, please

MidnightMan

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 02:43:12 am »
Thanks you. I downloaded the 2.2 win32 version.

I have a AMD 64 3700 with 2gig memory running xp on a Evga 7800 gs AGP w/256mb of memory.

Any other information that you need?

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 04:33:54 am »
I had similar problems with the previous release, and it turned out that the process priority defaulted to 'high.' Try setting it to normal priority. I don't know if the latest release fixed that or not.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 01:34:55 pm »
we have a cvar for this sys_priority

Kohli

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 02:24:27 am »
Yep, had the same issue today when I first tested the 2.2, and changing priority did the trick.
"+set sys_priority 0" should give you normal priority on startup.

MidnightMan

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 06:39:31 am »
Thanks for your quick and prompt replies. If I understand your reccomendation is to insure the process priority is set to normal and to do this via the cvar? I ask your indulgence as I need some additional help with this. You are referring to the console command and either load a script setting dynamic variables, correct?

I will look for a cvar script and use the console command "+set sys_priority 0" (minus the quotes) until then.

Again let me extend my thanks and appreciation to the community and the folks making the game happen. Something special happening here.

MidnightMan

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 07:57:13 pm »
Sorry to report that did not solve the problem. I am now reading posts about turning off the sound, so I will try that. Curious is that itunes (rubbishware) is able to play music never stuttering while the game is freezing randomly.

I did get one occurance of freeze free play after a defrag, but that makes no sense, however I have some spare time to see if another defrag changes conditions. 

MidnightMan

Re: New User - Gameplay stuttering - A solve?
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 11:03:36 pm »
I loaded a program background task and loaded the game. It ran wonderfully smoothly, so perhaps that has solved it. I didn't stop for hours since I wanted to play, seriously good work, a terrfic baseline.

I'll let you know if the problem returns.