project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Armour types and their models - PHALANX  (Read 79585 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Armour types and their models - PHALANX
« on: October 08, 2007, 12:23:07 am »
Winter and I have decided on the set of PHALANX armours for UFO:AI. This set will be used in the final game. This means that we need models and animations for these armours, no more and no less.

* Combat Armour
See http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/File:Player002.jpg

* Nanocomposite Armour
Status: Done, but we are not happy with the current model, and are looking for a replacement.
See http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/File:Player003.jpg

* Power Armour
Status: Work in progress. The model is finished, but it is not yet completely animated.
See http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/File:Male_powerarmour.jpg

* Advanced Combat Armour (proper name pending - I've used this one in the scripts now)

* Advanced Nanocomposite Armour (proper name pending)
Status: Nothing finished. This could be a reskin of the standard Nanocomposite Armour, but a completely new model is welcome.

* Advanced Power Armour (proper name pending)
Status: Nothing finished. This could be a reskin of the standard Power Armour, but a completely new model is welcome.

* Jumpsuit (proper name pending)
Status: Nothing finished. We will need a new model for this one, possibly a modified version of the Advanced Power Armour. It should reflect the armour's limited flight ability.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 01:58:59 pm by Mattn »

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Armour types and their models - PHALANX
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 05:52:51 pm »
* Advanced Combat Armour (proper name pending)
Status: Nothing finished. This could be a reskin of the standard Combat Armour, but a completely new model is welcome.

* Advanced Nanocomposite Armour (proper name pending)
Status: Nothing finished. This could be a reskin of the standard Nanocomposite Armour, but a completely new model is welcome.

* Advanced Power Armour (proper name pending)
Status: Nothing finished. This could be a reskin of the standard Power Armour, but a completely new model is welcome.

I would recommend using relatively quick reskins to get the content in the game, playable and testable, but still request that new (or modified) models be done.

In what way are the 3 above "Advanced" over the initial version... i.e. how should they look different?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 05:57:33 pm »
If we can get different models, so much the better. We rely on volunteer artists, though, so it may not be that easy.

The exact way the advanced armours are different is not yet decided, but it would obviously be an alien design improved with human technology.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 06:55:30 pm »
If we can get different models, so much the better. We rely on volunteer artists, though, so it may not be that easy.

The exact way the advanced armours are different is not yet decided, but it would obviously be an alien design improved with human technology.

So essentially the relationship between "combat armor" and "advanced combat armor" is that they are both light armors, but the technology does not necessarily have any similarities?

SpaceWombat

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 07:14:13 pm »
The Power Armour looks cool  :o
but I had a short laugh on the batman ears  :D  ;)
The Jumpsuit should have a jet pack or something like this (C&C 3 Commando style)?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 07:18:42 pm »
So essentially the relationship between "combat armor" and "advanced combat armor" is that they are both light armors, but the technology does not necessarily have any similarities?

Yes, that would sum it up.

The Power Armour looks cool :o
but I had a short laugh on the batman ears :D ;)
The Jumpsuit should have a jet pack or something like this (C&C 3 Commando style)?

I'm unfamiliar with C&C 3, but probably.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 10:53:31 pm »
How 'bout this as a stand-in for advanced light armor?  It's obviously different from non-advanced, looks a bit more protective but is clearly not a heavy armor.

[attachment deleted by admin]

SpaceWombat

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 11:34:27 pm »
Reminds me a bit of motobike protectors or a fremen stillsuit.  ;D
Maybe a bit more plating instead of the rubber lines?

Just my opinion anyway. It's good enough to be used until something better comes up.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 05:12:27 am »
Maybe a bit more plating instead of the rubber lines?

Hmm, you're right, there's really no reason those pieces i added to the upper arm and leg should be flexible.

SpaceWombat

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 10:54:59 am »
I'm not sure about the extremity armouring. Maybe a "light" armour does not need that much total coverage of the body at all. I was pointing more at the back covering part of the armor.

A stiff plate of ceramics and/or kevlar as a front shield and something a bit more flexible (splitted plates?) for the back is still light in meanings of shrinking the agility of the soldier only by its weight, not by blocking any joint.
Additionally some kind of stiff protectors for the shin bones and forearms would give more protection than a standard lighte vest without being too heavy?

By the way where in the tech tree shall these advanced armour types appear? Will alien tech improve them? That should be part of the design then I guess.

edit: What about a stronger helmet? I guess the one you used right now is the same of the standard light armour? Maybe a closed helmet with some kind of visor would be cool.
But please do not make it look like a bike helmet unless you provide us a cool kawasaki or quad model as well...  ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:01:20 am by SpaceWombat »

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 12:51:24 am »
This is about all the work i'm willing to do on something that doesn't yet have a concept.

If you want to use it as a stand-in i'll create the other colors.

As wombat noticed, i didn't do a helmet, since the light head/helmet needs to be redone to match the rest

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 01:14:23 am »
This is about all the work i'm willing to do on something that doesn't yet have a concept.

If you want to use it as a stand-in i'll create the other colors.

As wombat noticed, i didn't do a helmet, since the light head/helmet needs to be redone to match the rest

I actually quite like that, it should do well as an upgraded version of the combat armour. Thumbs up.

Are you working on face textures as well? We could really do with more variety in the faces department, and I believe we're still looking for some storyline character faces.

Regards,
Winter

SpaceWombat

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 01:53:58 am »

Thanks for your efforts. I like the front and the plates on the thighs especially.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 02:33:23 am »

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 04:37:40 pm »
I've added textures for the 6 variants to trunk, but they will have to be plugged in.