project-navigation
Personal tools

Poll

Why do aliens hate us?

We are pinky and wet --- they are horrified!
7 (19.4%)
They watched lots of our TV on the way to Earth --- they are horrified!
7 (19.4%)
Their previous missions to Earth were slaughtered and/or experimented upon.
7 (19.4%)
Our decadence is very tempting to them and they know how this ends.
0 (0%)
We remind them of someone (give details).
0 (0%)
They do not, they are immoral, rational and just try to frighten us.
2 (5.6%)
Other (describe in detail, please).
13 (36.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: June 26, 2006, 12:03:48 pm

Author Topic: Why do aliens hate us?  (Read 21216 times)

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
Why do aliens hate us?
« on: June 26, 2006, 12:03:48 pm »
The question of why aliens hate us is important for the storyline. Moreoever, the answer can be mostly independent of the storyline variant (see Design subforum). Keep in mind that the hate must be really huge if they experiment on live humans, slaughter whole cities, etc. so the reason must be convincing. Any ideas welcome!

cycyc

Why do aliens hate us?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 09:08:32 pm »
Really, I like the motif in X-Com 1: The aliens have been experimenting on us ever since and now we have reached the ripeness to be harvested and be turned into slaves.
We should definetly consider this question. Since its directly linked to the "failure" (you have failed to protect the earth...) screen, if there will ever be one.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
Why do aliens hate us?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 09:47:18 pm »
So they do not hate us --- we are just cattle for them? (Then, there are sadistic butchers from time to time, but mostly they are emotionless, I think.)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Why do aliens hate us?
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 10:37:33 pm »
Just because they don't hate us doesn't necessarily mean they are emotionless. They could just not care about us much, and treat us like lab rats the way we treat, well, lab rats. Except their idea of research is a bit messier than ours. That doesn't make them cold, rational and/or emotionless, per se. This poll seems to mutually exclude hatred and lack of emotion, which I find strange.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
Why do aliens hate us?
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 11:35:54 pm »
This is what "Other" is for. The best result of this poll will be interesting "Other" ideas, just like the one by cycyc. Would you contribute, BTAxis?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Why do aliens hate us?
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 02:10:25 pm »
My contribution is in the contingency storyline variant. I don't really think this thread serves any purpose since it's not placed in the broader context of a storyline.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
Why do aliens hate us?
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 02:19:41 pm »
Come on! This is all just for fun! Did you notice that this thread is in the Spam subforum?

So do the aliens in the contingency storyline hate us? And please do not point  me to the relevant thread --- I read all through it and I enjoyed it -- just relax and tell us, please...

bartl

Why do aliens hate us?
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 05:10:31 pm »
They hate us! An experiments of Teslar (or other scientst) in the begining of human industrialisation has a side effect not even noticed on our planet. This side effect wipe out the complete peaceful alien homeworld. The few that have survieved on the colonies have swear to eliminate this evil bastards (the humans). The preperations begin...

On the journey towards our world they have received our tv transmissions which have been full pictures of world war I, II and ... So for them the humans are bloodthirsty monsters they have to eliminate on their holly mission.

Ok, so long for my "other reason". What do you think about it?

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
Why do aliens hate us?
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 05:16:53 pm »
Cool! :D

And quite believable. Now, we need to find what the experiment was and use it again, before aliens wipe us out... :) Even if this doesn't get into the offical UFO:AI, you can make a mod out of it, good luck! :P

f0nx

Why do aliens hate us?
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 04:58:53 am »
how about they recieved some cheesy b-rate sci-fi alien flick, where we kick the snot out of the alien scum, which hapens to look awfully close to the real aliens and they took it as a sign of agression ?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Why do aliens hate us?
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 11:50:01 am »
Or maybe they were asked to help keep the peace in Afghanistan, but they don't know which part of Earth is Afghanistan, so they just try to keep the peace everywhere.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
Why do aliens hate us?
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 04:54:57 pm »
:D

Dudes, Hollywood guys should queue to our forum!

striker

Why do aliens hate us?
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 11:19:39 pm »
I would prefer the 'swarm theory':
After having used nearly all of their natural ressources the 'original' Alien race decided to travel through the space and collect any species found. Now its our turn. This would allow to use some really differnent alien species and even some kind of 'civil war' *evil smile*

But, to keep it realistic, i think the alien breed just came to us, cause its the only alien civilization which uses the word ISS for 'F*** U MOTHERF***ER I WILL R**E UR F***ing B**** of MOTHER' (replace Mother with egg-creator if neccessary) or something similar and we inpolite humans just send some thing to orbit which is named after this alien word.

M&M

Why do aliens hate us?
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 04:50:20 am »
Here goes my first post ! (yay)

We could go with the story that we had made contact with another alien group earlier and established some sort of friendly partnership relationship. Meanwhile in another area far far away a bloodthirsty race starts spreading its dominance over the stars, killing or enslaving any race it comes across, until it meats our friendly aliens. A war between that friendly group and the other more hostile group erupts, we get drawn into this since the hostile race seems deadset on killing or enslaving "free" races. But the war goes bad, our friendly aliens lose and are beaten back, so they decide to retreat to the protection of their homesystem (which is further away to the enemy then ours) and leave us cold in the wind to face the onslaught of the hostile aliens. So now we're totally defensless facing a much superior alien force thats been angered by our involvement in the war.

Offline Wh1sper

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Why do aliens hate us?
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 11:11:51 am »
They come from a parallel universe. Thre they are the failed descended from our genome experiments. Thats, why they hate all human