project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: SPANISH TRANSLATION  (Read 31721 times)

Offline xracer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: SPANISH TRANSLATION
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 05:03:15 pm »
oh one more thing,

since someone "barrymoabdib" kindly enough pointed out the use of the word "Alienígena" i have gone ahead and replace (wherein i though necessary) the word "extraterrestre" to "Alienígena" or "Alienígeno" is that ok or am I overextending my boundries?

Offline Kaz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 10:03:30 pm »
Happy to see more fellow spanish translators. A few months back I updated many entries for the "es" translation, and would like to have some of you to check those. The ones I'd like checked are the following:

• Base Facilities (Instalaciones)
  • UGV and UGV Equipment (VTNT y Equipo VTNT)
  • Equipment/Armour (Equipamiento/Armadura)
  • Mail/Headers (Correos/Cabeceras)

When I checked the work inside the game, I found lots of the terms I adjusted needing also to be fixed on the po file, which I'm struggling to find some time to do and submit the relevant patch. I will let you know when I do. Now that there are some more of us working on the same translation, it might be a good idea to use this forum as well as the wiki's talk pages to coordinate and avoid duplicating efforts.

While discussing the spanish translation, I would like to bring the issue of the es vs es_ES translations up for discussion. Being quite aware of the different modes of speech in different spanish speaking countries, I understand it is tempting to have country specific translations that account for those differences, but I also think that would eventually lead to a lot of duplicate effort. My persdonal opinion is that this effort would be better spent in reconciling our natural differences into a unified "international" spanish translation. that being my opinion, it would be good to have other opinions on the matter.

Cheers!

Offline xracer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 03:57:38 am »

• Equipment/Armour (Equipamiento/Armadura)

I think this should be

For Personnel
  • Equipment/Armour (Equipo/Armadura)

For crafts
  • Equipment/Armour (Armamento/Blindaje)
While discussing the spanish translation, I would like to bring the issue of the es vs es_ES translations up for discussion. Being quite aware of the different modes of speech in different spanish speaking countries, I understand it is tempting to have country specific translations that account for those differences, but I also think that would eventually lead to a lot of duplicate effort. My persdonal opinion is that this effort would be better spent in reconciling our natural differences into a unified "international" spanish translation. that being my opinion, it would be good to have other opinions on the matter.

I do agree with this, to able to capture every colloquialism possible to please everyone would be overwhelming.  I guess what we should try and do, is when an article is up for debate look into the best possible translation and use it. Although i think our localities have several differences i do think we can agree on a basic commonly know and accepted Spanish.

I have made quite several modifications and additions to the regular Spanish translation, I am attempting to be as unbiased as possible and to double check my work i am using the RAE dictionary.

Please do let me know if that is acceptable.

Xracer

For example :

A shelter that was built to house people in times of major disasters. Some internal blast doors may have been closed.

My approach

Un refugio en caso de desatres. Algunas puertas internas pueden haber sido cerradas

This is not a literal translation as i believe some of the language is fluff language and somewhat implicit.  Please do let me know if this is acceptable as i believe a literal translation would just be redundant.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 04:14:39 am by xracer »

Offline Kaz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 11:30:20 pm »
I don't care that much between Equipo or Equipamiento, since that is just categorization in the wiki pages. The category Armadura already encompasses just personal body armor. Craft have their own section titled Aircraft Equipment, where no work has been done on the "es" translation, but we should look at the "es_ES" section in there and see how much material is "internationalizable" ;) My request for review is geared more towards the content I translated on the individual pages.

Just like you, I also use the RAE dictionary to make sure I'm using the words that best match the original intent. I also make extensive use of http://www.wordreference.com when in doubt. There are some insightful discussions in the forums on the way some words and phrases are used both in english and spanish.

When discussing changes in translation, it would be good to link to the source page being translated, since context is the best indicator of intent, and when in doubt consultation should be made to the original author (Winter if I'm not mistaken). The example you give looks fine on its own, but if the main subject is not the shelter, but the place where the shelter is, then eliminating the "was built" part from the translation would be a mistake. This kind of evaluations are difficult to make, if possible at all, without more context.

Cheers!

Offline xracer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 04:17:44 am »
Hey,

I have done a rather extensive modifications although in the smaller strings. If you want we can see what has been done. i have mainly modifying the es version currently poedit list 48% translation completed if you like we can try and coordinate i can probably use a file compare doc to see the difference between the 2 files and then just combine them. I think that will be a faster way rather than me telling you what I've or vice versa.

If you want you can contact me at jxracer007 at yahoo dot com or via IM on the same mail.

Offline Kaz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 07:19:24 am »
Be careful when working with the po file directly. There are lots of contents there that should be edited in the wiki, and not in the po file directly. There is a tool that integrates the wiki content into the po file. We would not want your work to be overwritten when the wiki content is integrated later.

Cheers!

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 07:45:08 am »
you should attach your po file here - then others can have a look, too

Offline xracer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 04:39:18 am »
Be careful when working with the po file directly. There are lots of contents there that should be edited in the wiki, and not in the po file directly. There is a tool that integrates the wiki content into the po file. We would not want your work to be overwritten when the wiki content is integrated later.

Cheers!

Hey what is the tool i would like to have it such that it would be easier and no chance of having the work deleted. I do intend to do as much as work as possible.

Thank you

Danbat

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 09:22:08 pm »
Hi. I played almost every UFO game released and I was playing UFO:AI in english because i find many texts missing in spanish. I can translate many texts from scratch. I'm from Argentina so I'll work on "es" translation, trying to keep it international as possible. Do I pick the texts in the wiki and translate there? What about those entries listed as "open" but have no texts?

Offline xracer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2009, 04:07:57 am »
HEy i have uploaded a text file maybe someone can go over it and see if this changes are ok

Offline Kaz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 10:42:36 pm »
Hey what is the tool i would like to have it such that it would be easier and no chance of having the work deleted. I do intend to do as much as work as possible.

If you go to the src/po directory, there is a script called update_po_from_wiki.sh. This script will download the relevant pages from the wiki and update the correct entries in the po files. Those entries should be changed only in the wiki, since if you change the po file directly, the next wiki integration cycle will overwrite all your changes.

This script works in Linux, and though I haven't tried it, you should be able to run it in Windows under Cygwin if you install the appropriate libraries.

Cheers!

Offline Kaz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 01:09:09 am »
HEy i have uploaded a text file maybe someone can go over it and see if this changes are ok

Hey. I'm looking at your changes and will post once I'm done. In the mean time, from what I've seen, it seems to me you've been editing the .po file with a plain text editor. I would suggest using the poedit program. Also I've seen several changes in strings that are handled through the wiki instead of the .po file directly. Take a look at the information in the wiki before moving forward, so you don't waste time working on things that will get overwritten later.

Cheers!

Offline Nightknight

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 08:59:52 pm »
Greetings,

I would also like to offer my help to translate the program to Spanish.
Sadly I do not have any experience as a game translator, nor any experience using PoEDIT. Anyhow, I'm forward to learn and help.
I could help with the "es" translation, since I'm South American (Venezuela)

Offline Kaz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 09:36:10 pm »
Welcome aboard Nightknight! No need to jump straight into poedit. You can start with the pages being handled in the wiki. I would suggest you start looking at the texts already translated in both english and spanish to get a feel for the style in the original as well as the translation. Also check how the files are organized. There is also an es_ES translation, and some of the "es" pages are shared between both. When running into this I've created copies with _es added at the end so as to be able to modify es without messing with es_ES. Once you feel comfortable enough, feel free to start translating. Any doubts you can post here and/or the wiki's talk pages.

Cheers!

Offline Nightknight

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 12:32:51 am »
Greetings,

Thanks, Kaz! I'm glad to be part of this team.
I've not Translated a lot, but I I will put more dedication into it.
Please check out a minor translation I did. I do have some minor doubts:
- Is there any agreement on the message headers? (FROM / TO / SUBJECT)
- I noticed that some translations do not translate the Rank of the officers.
- Any agreement on Equipment / Vehicles / Items translation.

Here is a little (Unfinished) translation I worked on today. I welcome any suggestion or correction. After all, this is team work. ;-)
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Equipamiento/Armadura/Armadura_de_Nanocompuesto_Reforzada_(es)