project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: SPANISH TRANSLATION  (Read 31966 times)

Offline tonxabar

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
SPANISH TRANSLATION
« on: August 28, 2007, 03:25:57 pm »
Hi, folks!

My name is Antonio Javier Varela, I'm willing to help in your proyect, and this is my Curriculum...

-I'm the VideoLAN spanish localizer, working at this project about five years (I know how to use PoEdit, if you ask...  :) )
-furthermore, I'm an UFO Enemy Unknown fanatic (even translating the text files for my friends! ;D )

I could translate the .po files from english, or in a hurry, even from italian...

Congratulations to all of you for such great work!!
Best Regards.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: SPANISH TRANSLATION
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 03:51:08 pm »
Excellent. Please refer to the wiki for details on what text to translate.

I'm not sure if we have a Spanish translation in progress right now, but the localization directory suggests we don't.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 05:28:15 pm »
nice - the translation process is splitted into two parts:
* the po file for the normal strings like menu strings and so on
* the wiki for the long texts (the developers will sync the po files with the translations from the wiki from time to time)

there are already a few spanish translations available - but there are still dozens of missing translations.

it's also a good timing to work on the translation, because we have plans to release 2.2 in ~2 month (if nothing goes wrong)

Varishnikov

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 02:10:52 pm »
I think I can help in the spanish translation too. I am from Spain. I had play UFO since "Enemy Unknown" and maybe I can do something for it.

XDDD

A los hispanoparlantes de todo el foro.

Richard

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 09:22:47 pm »
I can help with the Spanish translation too.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 07:44:08 am »
nice, open http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/List_of_msgid and pick an article to translate

pielroja

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 03:32:18 pm »
I had a quick glance at the last v.2.3 binary installer. When I selected different screens to manage base installations and processes, I noticed that the Spanish translation remains quite incomplete. Several elements are untranslated or need a correction. It would be nice if some progress on it is done.

I suppose that the ideal manner to make these corrections is via SVN (or another way that it is also different to the UFOpedia's translation method, which I have already used). Now it would be too complicated for me to do that. However, I could prepare (in a clear way) a list of needed changes by checking the most recent binary installer, so anyone with command on "code correction" could easily fix them.

If this can be helpful, tell me to do it, and how to send it (posted, e-mailed) when it is ready. If not, just tell me also.

Regards,
Pielroja.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 06:03:40 pm »
btw. we have a translation status on the main site ( http://ufoai.sf.net ) now....

code correction? you have to edit a language file - see the translation article in our wiki - download poedit and edit the trunk/src/po/es.po

Offline Kaz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 10:05:14 pm »
Perhaps I'm missing some old story here but... Why are there two spanish translations (es and es_ES)? Wouldn't it be better to concentrate the effort to get a single translation done?

Cheers!

Carlos Gaudes

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 11:33:20 pm »
I will try to start translating this weekend

UFO (and panzer general) has been on every PC I have had. Now is also in my linux machines

Thank you all for your effort

Offline xracer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 07:20:58 pm »
Hello everyone,

First let me apologize I promised to do this a while back.

OK, back to the issue at hand, I have started an attempt to translate to Spanish, however i see a few inconsistencies in the translation. I wanted to know if there is a guideline for the translation and if there is anyone else working on it, I do not want to do double work.

Currently i have done about 15% of the document.

Also another point i wanted to make and this is directed towards the Spanish speakers, i have seen the word "alienigena" spread over the document. As far as i know the word is a mutilation of the word Alien, and is not an accepted (recognized) word in the Spanish language, i have been changing the word to "extraterrestre" in order for it to encompass the feel of the game and keep with it a "proper" translation.

If any one believes this should not be so please do let me know.

Thank you.

barrymoabdib

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 11:30:18 am »

Also another point i wanted to make and this is directed towards the Spanish speakers, i have seen the word "alienigena" spread over the document. As far as i know the word is a mutilation of the word Alien, and is not an accepted (recognized) word in the Spanish language, i have been changing the word to "extraterrestre" in order for it to encompass the feel of the game and keep with it a "proper" translation.

Alienígena from latin: alienigĕna

1.  adj. extranjero. U. t. c. s.

2. adj. extraterrestre (‖ supuestamente venido desde el espacio exterior). U. t. c. s.

http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltGUIBusUsual?LEMA=alien%C3%ADgena&origen=RAE
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:22:12 pm by barrymoabdib »

Offline xracer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 03:54:59 pm »
well, you know what they say you learn something new everyday, I had seen it used in several parts but always assumed it was a colloquialism.  And i actually search in the RAE for the word and gave me no results.

Well in any case, Also i wanted to ask, why there are 2 Spanish translations. from a quick overview i didn't see differences. maybe i should read more carefully. Also i assume that the _ES is the more traditional Spanish.

If any one could give me an insight i will appreciate it greatly.

Thank you

barrymoabdib

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 09:17:15 am »
yes your are right, "es_ES" is the traditional spanish or the spanish talked by the people that live in Spain.

"es" is the international spanish, talked in south-america countries ( more o less, I know that in each country talk a bit different ).

PS: Would you please tell me where are you from? ( just curiosity )
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:23:01 am by barrymoabdib »

Offline xracer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 04:13:54 pm »
Well I am originally from Ecuador,

However, i have lived in the U.S. for the last 20 years, and although my Spanish is not as polished as i would like it to be I believe that is in a good state.   

Now getting back to the translation, and this is a personal view i guess we should make the messaging a bit more... "polite" . for example when people translate from "your" sometimes is translated as "tu" sometimes as "su", i want to make sure which form should we use, my preference would be "su".