project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New map: shelter  (Read 9441 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
New map: shelter
« on: August 25, 2007, 03:51:05 pm »
I've made a new map. It was supposed to be a nuclear shelter, the kind you use to survive a nuclear winter, like the ones in Fallout. It doesn't really look like one, though. Such a shelter would need to be like a small city. Anyway, there you have it.

It's a random assembly, but it will create the same layout every time. The randomness manifests itself in the internal blast doors that may be either open or closed. When they're closed, you can't pass through that corridor, so you'll have to find your way round.
Every tile allows you to move from level 3 to level 1 and back, except the northern part of the main hall. 2x2 units can only move levels on the southern part of the main hall and the corner corridors.

Screens:

It's still a bit WIPpy, but most of the stuff is there.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: New map: shelter
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 06:16:26 pm »
i like it very much - but maybe replace the blue trailer with a military one

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 08:58:26 pm »
Just beautiful. Especially the radomness of closed doors... Maybe we could expand the concept to other small map items to gain more "different" maps/map parts without having to edit a lot.

Only point of critizism: The color saturation of the red/yellow/blue lights is a bit much for the military style. I'd pale or fade it out a little.

Offline Kaerius

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 08:21:15 am »
When I played this map, it only allowed 7 soldiers to spawn...

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 12:14:41 pm »
That's a bug that was fixed a while ago. Try checking it out from SVN and recompiling it. Or you can wait for a map pack release that has the updated version.

There are still other problems with it, though. It's possible to get a combination of tiles that has too many light entities for the renderer. I still have to change the lighting around to surface lighting to fix this.

wastelandmerc

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 02:36:29 pm »
Really cool map, few suggestions: change a bit living rooms, less beds, add locker(one, two), maybe  toilets? (i don't see them on screens) no toilets no vault ;) and something like "command center" (exapmple: Fallout Vault 13, Overseer room).

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 02:51:07 pm »
There are toilets on the map, one on each floor of the east and west blocks. They connect to the corridor.

A command centre would be nice, but I'm not sure where to place it. There is room in the solid tiles next to the entrance tile, but I'm not sure if I want to use those.

wastelandmerc

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 08:29:10 pm »
Maybe one of this places?

I didn't know how to explain normaly so i placed this.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 08:52:14 pm »
If I do that, the map will have to grow even bigger than it is now. I think it's already on the large side, really.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 05:36:40 pm »
Hey !

Just wanted to ask if textures like the one in the screenshot (bumpmapping ?) are also used on any other maps in the game ?

This looks great & I wonder which format is needed to make the textures look like this & if it would be very complicated to apply 3d-textures also on other surfaces on the other maps ?!

I know that this is just eye-candy, but I like special-fx & the engine seems to handle such stuff already quite well...

I tried to find information about bumpmapping here & in the wiki, but the only thing I found was this:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Changelog/2.3#New_Features

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 06:15:05 pm »
you have to provide normalmaps for textures - see http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Artwork#Normalmaps

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 06:23:27 pm »
Mattn, thanx 4 the link, will look into this...

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 07:11:19 pm »
It was supposed to be a nuclear shelter, the kind you use to survive a nuclear winter, like the ones in Fallout. It doesn't really look like one, though. Such a shelter would need to be like a small city. Anyway, there you have it.

You could migitate that by adding another, always closed entrance underground and claim that this is only an entrance part for such shelter.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 07:28:46 pm »
- I created a normalmap in Blender using the normalmap plug-in.
- I saved it as *.tga with _nm attached to the filename in the same directory.

Do I have to do something else or will the normalmap be used automatically when compiling the maps ?

Thanx for your patience with me, but to help here I first have to get familiar with all the tools used...

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 05:48:57 am »
> Do I have to do something else or will the normalmap be used automatically when compiling the maps
As far as I know, normalmaps are included to the game automatically.