project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Severe performance problems (caused by character models?)  (Read 4668 times)

3DS_Mike

Severe performance problems (caused by character models?)
« on: August 13, 2007, 12:07:17 am »
Hi there,

I was delighted when I found this game - it's the best open source game I've played by far.

But I went away for the weekend, and since I got back, performance takes a massive hit on the equip-your-soldier screens and when on the tactical map, but only if I can see my own characters (I think that's what it is, though it's hard to test with such crappy performance - it COULD be the dropship or something, but it seems unlikely) The framerate drops to about 2 fps or lower.

I've tried reinstalling, starting a new game, and running the game in safe mode - none of it works.

THis is deeply frustrating :( What on earth has changed since I went away to cause this?

If anyone can suggest a solution I will be incredibly grateful. I'm using 2.1.1 with "hotfix", on an XP-32 Pro PC with an NVidia graphics card and generally high specs all round. As I say, the game was playing just fine last week and I haven't touched my computer since then, so I can't imagine what's causing this. :(

Pleeeeeeeease help me! I would love to play this game some more.

Mike

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 12:43:21 am »
I believe this is fixed in the current version. Go download the latest test installer to see if it works for you.

Offline BlakeD

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 06:43:28 am »
If that doesn't work, try starting it with  "+ set snd_init 0" (open the property sheet for the shortcut - you'll find the target line there).

I have a hunch based on my experience, and would like to test it.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 08:24:26 am »
there are also some multicore problems - try to only use one core (via taskmanager e.g.)

also the nvidia card has some option for this - search the board for the solution, i can't remember right now, sorry

Cylon

Re: Severe performance problems (caused by character models?)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 09:24:28 pm »
Same problem here. Started out fine and I had a great time playing the game. Then all of a sudden the performance goes down for good. Turning off the sound in the start options seemed to help at first but starting the game a few times after that the same problem was there again. Has anyone any news on how to solve this issue? I've got a Realtech High Definition Audio Card running under XP.

Please help!

EDIT: Turning off the sound seems to help now but I'd still like to play with sound...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 01:10:53 am by Cylon »

aZmoDen

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 04:24:45 pm »
Gday, I just installed 2.2 this arvo (first time ive installed the game) and right from the getgo i have managed to achieve no more than 4.7 fps in the tactical combat map when the dropship is showing.
When i am zoomed out i get less than one, but it increases slightly to 4.7 when i have less on my screen.
As soon as i scroll away from the dropship the fps go up to 37(ish).
I am running a c2d 6700, 4gb ram, 8800gts 640mb gcard.

EDIT: i have tried the "+ set snd_init 0" suggestion to no avail (altho it did randomly put my dropship haflway round the world from where it was originally in the savegame).
         I also tried the affinity suggestion which did vastly improve my fps from 4.7 to 12.1 when the dropship is in view. (when i am zoomed right in i can get 18 fps)

Any suggestions would be great, also if there is any log files or info i can hand over to help sort this out, just tell me what files i need to post.

Thanks for your time people,
aZ.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 08:04:20 pm »
there are also some multicore problems - try to only use one core (via taskmanager e.g.)

also the nvidia card has some option for this - search the board for the solution, i can't remember right now, sorry

aZmoDen

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 04:13:15 am »

"affinity" is the taskmanager -> affinity -> core0 / core1 option.
I am currently searching the boards for the card option you suggested.
az.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 04:18:18 am by aZmoDen »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools

aZmoDen

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 08:24:49 am »
thanks for the nudge in the right direction mattn