project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: [CLOSED] Footsteps sound effects  (Read 28292 times)

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[CLOSED] Footsteps sound effects
« on: July 25, 2007, 10:32:49 pm »
As you maybe noticed we recently introduced footsteps sound and particle effect. Currently the exhausting part of the work is to figure every surface texture on every map, add it to terrain.ufo, and then apply proper footstep sound effect and/or particle. While a lot of footstep sounds can be gathered from Internet, there are some which I fail to find. So now the request here about preparing some footstep sounds. From time to time (read: mostly daily) i will update terrain.ufo with new surface texture names, and - in case I won't be able to find the footstep sound, i will post the request here.

Currently i am looking for the footstep sound for stepping onto some straw. Some kind of "sssh" sound. The second one would be footstep on parquet floor - some not-so-loud step onto wood, or something like that.

Anyone wants to try it? :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:20:00 pm by Crystan »

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[WANTED] Footsteps sound effects
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 05:16:26 pm »
Two next footsteps are just two types of grass: small grass, so the actor walking on it gives just very silent sound, and the bigger one, with some louder "sss".

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 04:43:14 pm »
I have the portable gear to record it, but my location might be a problem - I live in a high-rise apartment building, not near any place with straw or tall grass.  Could you do anything with carpet, linoleum, or bathroom tile?  Actually, now that I think about it, my bathtub could be good for a metallic sound, like the inside of a craft of some kind, if you could use a "clank-clank."

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 05:13:41 pm »
Yes, we do need a footsteps sound for linoleum. As well as for a lot of other surfaces but I did not had a time to surf through another maps to find out surface textures types.
But now i can add to wanted footsteps sounds list:
- linoleum floor
- asphalt road
- gravel street (just a street with the gravel on the ground)
- parquette floor (two types I think, the old scratching one, where the wood is old and scratches, and the new one, where the only sould is really footstep)
- terracotta floor - something for bathrooms maybe?

Offline sai`ke

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: [WANTED] Footsteps sound effects
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 04:23:28 pm »
Hey people, here are some dry footstep sounds I recorded on the train:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oxj0ii

The raw recording sounded pretty shitty, so I went ahead and filtered (highpass filter) and apodized (multiplying each individual footstep with a decreasing exponential to enhance spectral resolution and decrease noise) them. You can use these for the new parquette I think.

Offline sai`ke

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 04:25:38 pm »
I have the portable gear to record it, but my location might be a problem - I live in a high-rise apartment building, not near any place with straw or tall grass.  Could you do anything with carpet, linoleum, or bathroom tile?  Actually, now that I think about it, my bathtub could be good for a metallic sound, like the inside of a craft of some kind, if you could use a "clank-clank."

Sounds good. If the quality of the recording is a bit poor send them to me (or post them here) and I'll try to make something out of it. Try to minimize transient noises that interfere.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 06:03:28 pm »
what is the license you are releasing your work under? Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 License?

Offline sai`ke

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 06:29:46 pm »
Yea sure, no problem. They were recorded by me and I hereby grant you the rights to do whatever you want with them. So you guys can have them under a license you prefer.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 01:29:50 am »
Sounds good. If the quality of the recording is a bit poor send them to me (or post them here) and I'll try to make something out of it. Try to minimize transient noises that interfere.

I just recorded a whole bunch of footsteps and other sounds that could also be useful - These are raw tracks with many sounds repeated over and over so you or someone else could extract your favorite segments.  As I'm typing this I'm currently uploading them to: www.destructavator.com/public

It will probably take a few hours with this internet connection for everything to get up there, these are large WAV files recorded and rendered at 32-bits, 96000KHz, stereo.  I recorded them with a Heil PR-20 Dynamic XLR microphone and a LONG XLR cable to a DI and then my computer.

Here are some of the things included:

Footsteps on Linoleum
Footsteps on Concrete covered with a thin carpet
Various mechanical sounds that could be modified to sound like lots of things
Clothing sounds (standing up, crouching, reaching into pockets) - might be good for inventory and equipment screens

While recording these I was wearing my TruSpec BDU (military spec) trousers and some uniform-police style boots for the footsteps (they didn't have a steel toe).

Again, please wait a couple of hours after this post appears on the board for all the WAVs to get up there...

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 08:12:54 am »
very nice - what is the license? Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 License?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 12:09:05 pm »
Yeah, I guess I'll go with that license, I just looked it up on the CC website and read it (both versions), and that's fine by me.  I noticed however that it said "You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor..." which tells me I'm supposed to specify something myself about how it should be used - So I'll just say that I'll allow anyone to use the recordings for just about anything they want as long as they somehow give me credit and include a reference to my website.  (The included .txt files are fine.)

I'm not really picky about these samples or how they're protected - Whatever license would work the best for the game (or other projects that could use them), I guess.

BTW, I tried to record some sounds in the bathroom with my boots, but the d*** fan in the ceiling made too much noise!

Offline sai`ke

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 12:56:15 pm »
BTW, I tried to record some sounds in the bathroom with my boots, but the d*** fan in the ceiling made too much noise!

If it's a constant noise and not a rattle I could try filtering your recording.

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 08:12:37 pm »
Zenerka,
maybe a dumb question and I didn't bother to check, but I was wondering:
You did check the websites that are in the wiki, right? Because especially freesound.iua.upf.edu has quite some stuff when searching for 'step(s)', 'footstep(s)' or 'walk(ing)'...

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 03:18:44 pm »
XavernXN, yes, but I figured out that very little of them (sounds from these websites) "fits". But now we have nice collection of footstep sounds in our repository thanks to lovely contributors and in few upcoming days I am going to sort them out, verify and enable in game. When I finish I hopefuly will have the list what is missing.

Hemperor

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 06:20:16 pm »
Do you still need any foot step sounds? I have a whole slew of them in a library ive built up over the years i've been doing audio production for radio dramas.