project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Thanks for a great blast from the past  (Read 2579 times)

cybersaint2k

Thanks for a great blast from the past
« on: July 27, 2007, 04:46:16 am »
I played this game when it came out and it was the very first game I was addicted to. I don't play many games any more, but when I saw this, I had to  try it. Yum yum, Crack-o-licious.

I have a little problem, though. Everything was going smoothly until...well, I don't know what happened. But I have 7 soldiers and they are all normally equipped, 2 bases, and the game slows to single digit fps when I

1) Go to equip screen at base
2) Go on any map with my soldiers in the viewing area. My soldiers go off map, no problem, everything is smooth.

I have a Asus G1, Go Force 7700 512mg card, Vista 32 bit. Most recent video drivers from Asus. Using 2.1.1 UFO. 2 gigs ram.

Everything was fine and then poof, it suddenly started happening. I've turned off areo, vista services were already tweaked, Tried running in compatability modes. Nada. Happens in all maps. Sound is messed up. Mouse won't move. Screen gets jerky.

I ran this game perfectly and then poof, something changed. Other than adding a second base, I can't figure out what happened.  

What can I do? The earth is depending on me, dammit!

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 08:08:46 am »
did you change anything in the options? e.g. disable multitexture?

cybersaint2k

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 02:30:14 pm »
Quote from: "Mattn"
did you change anything in the options? e.g. disable multitexture?

Thanks for your response.

Yes, after the bad thing happened, I changed some things. But before, no.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 03:14:31 pm »
hm. try to remove your game settings in your application data folder (see wiki->faq for more infos)

but make sure to save your savegames somewhere before wiping that folder.

cybersaint2k

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 07:18:26 pm »
Quote from: "Mattn"
hm. try to remove your game settings in your application data folder (see wiki->faq for more infos)

but make sure to save your savegames somewhere before wiping that folder.

Thanks for your advice. I could not find the files you mentioned and could not find references to it on the wiki. Link?

I started over from scratch to see if I could duplicate the problem in a different savegame. It was all related to the number of items in inventory. When the inventory goes over 3 lines (three rows of items), I experience uberlag. Everything slows down to single digit fps.

Then when I go to a map with a full loadout with 4 soldiers, I get the same problem. The more items are present in that screen (via alien usage) the more laggy.

Turning off sound helps. Going to one/1 solder helps.

Thanks for any further suggestions. It's now unplayable at Paz.

EDIT: Adjusting affinity in task manager works. It's a dual-core/multithread problem, select one core only and then it works fine.