project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: CURRENT STORYLINE -- SPOILERS!  (Read 72130 times)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
CURRENT STORYLINE -- SPOILERS!
« on: July 19, 2007, 11:12:34 am »
Here is a brief overview and timeline of the current UFO:AI plotline. DO NOT read this if you don't want to be spoiled on every major plot point that's being developed for the game.

TIMELINE

- Roughly 1,000,000 years ago
 On a remote planet in our galaxy called Antares, a viral life-form is engineered in a bio-weapons lab of one of the largest nations on the planet. This blood-borne organism -- not a real virus, but behaving like one -- has a unique property: it possesses a psionically distributed intelligence, each living organism making up a tiny part of a larger brain. With its psionic abilities it is capable of completely controlling the body of whatever lifeform it infects.

The politicians of this nation begin using the virus to subvert Antareans of opposite viewpoints. They are able to control the infection due to the virus's initially limited intelligence, possessing a device that allows them to control infected hosts through the virus. As the Antareans begin reverting to the virus more and more for political expediency, it starts to grow in power and intellect.

- Roughly 999,999 years ago
 The virus gains enough intelligence to become self-aware, developing a will of its own as well as a powerful need to grow and survive. It starts to think of ways to shake its masters' control. In the shadows, it begins using its hosts to subvert innocent Antareans. It is cloak-and-dagger work; the virus spreads by directly injecting intended hosts with infected blood. Meanwhile, the Antarean state grows more and more totalitarian, absorbing other nations into itself with the help of XVI -- which is now using them to gain more hosts.

- Roughly 999,997 years ago
The virus manages to infect the first of its masters. With his knowledge and direct access to the other rulers, the rest of the masters quickly suffer the same fate. Within two years after this event, the virus takes possession of 98% of the planet's population. Conflicts and resistance cease as the hive mind assumes dominance over the planet.

- Roughly 998,000 years ago
Antares has become overpopulated to the point where the planet's resources cannot sustain the growing number of hosts anymore. Yet the hive mind must keep growing, this is its most basic instinct and its only desire. It sees only one way out: up.

Strip-mining the planet's remaining resources, the virus starts to build a massive starship in orbit around the alien homeworld, on which to transport its hosts to other sources of metal and energy in faraway star systems. It has a reason: The ark must be big enough to house the entire planetary population of hosts. All of them are coming along.

The viral mind cannot voluntarily divide itself for more than a few days, much like a sane human being wouldn't voluntarily lobotomise himself. After a few days the XVI organisms in the hosts' blood will begin to mutate and resist reassimilation into the original mind, growing their own new mind instead. If left alone, these could grow more powerful than the original whilst outside supervision, and would undoubtedly come into conflict with the original over the same resources. The original is well aware of this and has no intention to be anything but number one.

- Roughly 997,980 years ago
The ark is complete and sets out at sublight speeds to the next star system, intent on finding new resources to maintain the host population and producing new hosts so that the hive mind may keep growing.

- Roughly 860,000 years ago
Just like on Antares, population growth is now straining the ark's resources. The travel time between star systems is taking too long; shortfalls and famines loom on the horizon. The hive mind sets itself to finding a solution. It eventually invents the wormhole FTL drive. The ark can now travel to new resource centres in weeks instead of centuries; a new fleet of scout UFOs is sent all over the galaxy to find hot spots.

- Roughly 859,500 years ago
For the first time in its long trek, XVI finds another inhabited planet, bearing an intelligent species -- Ortnoks -- in its Dark Ages. The virus quickly sees the potential for acquiring millions of new hosts, lots of resources, and a workforce that requires no special equipment to breathe the atmosphere.

After mapping the Ortnok genome and adjusting for their physical irregularities, the virus spreads across the population in a matter of weeks, and strip-mines the planet down to the crust in order to maintain itself. When it resumes its nomadic trek, it takes the Ortnok hosts with it, leaving only a barren, lifeless shell.

- Roughly 700,000 years ago
The virus develops a powerful psionic projector device, an offshoot of the wormhole FTL technology, allowing itself to maintain its hive mind over colonies several lightyears away. Unfortunately, the hard limits on the projectors' range restricts the virus to merely ravaging several systems at a time.

- Between 700,000 years ago and present day
The alien ark has grown to unimaginable proportions. In its endless craving for hosts and resources, it has stripped virtually every resource-rich planet and asteroid in the galaxy. It leaves only destruction and despoilment in its wake.

Somewhere along the way, the hive mind realizes it has consumed all that it can in this galaxy. It is faced with the same old dilemma; find a new source, or face its own lobotomy. This time it decides to transport itself to another galaxy. In order to do this, it needs to tear a vast wormhole in spacetime to get to the destination galaxy.

- 12 December, 2083
The intergalactic wormhole device is nearly finished, mere months away from completion, and the hive mind is getting ready to take the leap into richer pastures. However, the last few recon patrols bring back news of new planets in several hitherto unreconnoitered systems in one of the outer spiral arms of the Milky Way. Only a handful of the planets are interesting, but one -- surprisingly -- is inhabited by a primitive spacefaring species. The hive mind, still eager to grow, decides to annex this species before moving on.

That planet is Earth.

- 3 May, 2084
Initial attack on Mumbai.

The aliens' objective is to harvest humans for study, in order to decipher our genome and with that information adapt the virus to be able to infect humans. To this end they perform gruesome experiments on dead and live humans and use nasty equipment in the field, such as the Bloodspider. The Kerrblade is the alien harvesters' primary autopsy tool.

=====Key events after the start of the game=====
(Exact dates of these events depend on the player and difficulty setting. The chronological order is always the same.)

- PHALANX scientists realize that the aliens are controlled by a hive mind.
- The virus (dubbed XVI by PHALANX researchers) starts infecting the population of Earth. In the background, a biological war breaks out; vaccines versus mutated XVI strains.
- PHALANX scientists discover the true nature of the alien mind.
- First alien base is discovered and assaulted. Immensely powerful psionic attacks emanating from the base's psionic projector cause soldiers to destroy the device in a panic.
- Bases are discovered to serve as hive mind nodes and central points for XVI spread. Assaulting bases becomes a priority for PHALANX.
- The alien mind begins shifting its focus from infection and subversion to retaliation and destruction, attempting to keep PHALANX from becoming a threat to its goals on Earth. UFOs start attacking suspected PHALANX installations and performing air raids on population centres to force PHALANX responses.
- A Carrier UFO is shot down and its FTL drive is recovered in a difficult tactical mission.
- PHALANX scientists reverse-engineer the alien FTL technology. Using this technology, a manned PHALANX scoutship visits distant worlds, long since raped by XVI. This leads to the discovery of the bulk of the backstory.
- Using alien FTL technology, the location of the mothership is discovered.
- Distressed by PHALANX's new FTL capabilities, the hive mind further ramps up its military and infection efforts on Earth, committing more resources to the fight. XVI spread increases rapidly.
- A failed PHALANX assault on the alien mothership reveals a powerful gravitic shield surrounding it.
- New images and sensor data from the assault allows PHALANX scientists to discover the aliens' wormhole scheme.
- PHALANX develops a plan for assaulting the mothership and destroying it by way of sabotaging the wormhole device.
- Destruction of one of the mothership's shield generators by means of an FTL tactical weapon. This allows a PHALANX FTL dropship to slip through the shield and dock.
- Destruction of the mothership by triggering the wormhole device inside the shield.

PandaKnight

Re: CURRENT STORYLINE -- SPOILERS!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 07:03:20 am »
How much of this has actually been done/implemented?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 01:21:40 pm »
The first three points, with the second point in a makeshift, roundabout manner.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:59:24 am »
This is good stuff.  There's a lot to discover as the game progresses, and it doesn't follow the most expected story-paths.  The scale keeps getting bigger, which is of course good.

The idea of an entire galaxy minus earth consumed by this mind is pretty grim.

Minor points:

1)  Though (or because) it sounds cool, "Antareans" seems to be an extremely common name for an alien race.  They were the bad guys in "Masters of Orion" for instance.  It's a real star too, so there's no legal issue, but it's IMHO it's not very distinctive.

2) Though i hadn't read this when i wrote it. I still think the comments here on Mumbai are valid, that a full-scale slaughter doesn't mesh well with opening gameplay, nor does it seem necessary.

Neko

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 02:57:09 pm »
In two words: Sounds awesome!

Very well written, gripping and exciting. Not to mention it'll be great to play. I agree with eleazar on the fact that Mumbai seems to big and noisy. Again. I also posted in that other thread. Sorry to write wherever I read instead of going through all posts first :) Just wanted to post here to say it truly is a cool and impressive story.

How many alien races are there in the hive-mind by now? Do we know? I guess this will depend more on gameplay decisions and so on...

ufogio

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 01:57:03 pm »
- PHALANX scientists reverse-engineer the alien FTL technology. Using this technology, a manned PHALANX scoutship visits distant worlds, long since raped by XVI. This leads to the discovery of the bulk of the backstory.
I think this is an obscure point.

How is a small PHALANX scoutship supposed to discover about the whole story of XVI, only by visiting almost-ruined and long-time uninhabited planets?

First, it would be very difficult to arrive to Antares, because, if I understood correctly, they won't still be able to use XVI's wormholes.
Even if they do: how can they discover anything about events happened 1,000,000 years before? It would take years of research, in a million years period of time a lot of things happen even on died planets.

On the other hand, if the PHALANX scout arrives only to closer planets instead, without going too much further from our galaxy, it would still remain unexplained how they find about XVI.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 02:02:56 pm by ufogio »

Kamuflaro

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 04:05:44 pm »
crap(that really is a spoiler), not gonna read the rest :P So to speak I didn't read it all, but there is something that I want to add nontheless...

First off I read the introduction of aliens killing thousands of ppl and overwhelmind masses of soldiers. This would lead to the conclusion that the aliens are a strong threat requireing more than some noob soldiers and only 1 base for a small organization which is meant to stop them...
I'd suggest on taking it slow. The alien mastermind has taken "cloak and dagger" methods before so why not on earth too? Aliens could start with harvesting single individuals or cows lol
Give them stunning devices and dont send them after the kill right away on every civilian they meet untill they see PHALANX attacking them.
The UN reviving a small PHALANX base to investigate the alien thread for starters with limited resources would sound better to me. At least better than The aliens pillaging a city and only being defeated by a much bigger number of soldiers and then PHALANX gets created with the pants down, not even able to shoot down the 1st UFO it sees and a handfull of barely trained personal.

At a later point of the game it should (maybe is already) be possible to hire better soldiers depending on factors like how dangerous the alien thread is and how good the reputation of PHALANX is, as every nation will try anyways to develop their own anti alien measurements or even get corrupted by them as soon as aliens can take over politicians without PHALANX preventing it.

Also of course as soon as PHALANX captures the 1st alien base the mastermind might go for a full fledged war starting to attack PHALANX bases, but till then you have a chance to get advanced technologies, equipments and personal.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 12:48:47 am by Kamuflaro »

Panthera Leo

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 07:07:27 pm »
I think I'm going to be mean to you again Winter, fair warning.

May I suggest you revise the time line to two thousand years at best?

Look what humanity has accomplished in the last century alone? Take a monument to soak in that in less then that time, 50 ot 80 years?, we went from a dusty agrarian society("The West & Cowboys") to the internet. If your younger then 30 it's highly likely that if you could ask your grandparents what electricity was at your age they'd give you blank looks. How slow is this super mind to have had a million of years to contemplate the mechanics of the universe, and only come up with what it has?

If any one human lived from right now to 500 years from now, and even just mused about the study of the universe it wouldn't be a stretch to see that human with enough technical know how to pull the sci-fi version of a "McGyver" with just a stick of chewing gum and beat (edit: typo)back the alien invasion single handedly, and perhaps peruse them to extinction.

If XVI can live with it's hosts in the void for even two years without the aid of a star for energy input...

The only reason this planet isn't frozen tomb to a ecologies worth of long starved and dead life is the sun provides unfathomable amounts of energy to keep Earth's life still ticking. If this mind can survive even two years in the void and support a planetary host of life wouldn't that put their resource consumption on the order of about a snow pea and a drop of oil every year? Well maybe not that low, but somewhere very close. If they can sustain them selves on that, then grow to the point of needing to strip mine celestial bodies just to live, why is earth even worth the energy to go out of the way to bother with?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:13:00 pm by Panthera Leo »

SpaceWombat

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 11:06:28 pm »
Why has Mars no life and Venus neither?
Because earth is in an optimal average range to the sun and provides its ecology with optimal parameters (enough gravity for a thick atmosphere...). Planets like ours are very rare and might be worth much effort to colonize.

Panthera Leo

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 12:28:31 am »
Baring Winter replying, and saying "No, Panthera, your a total tool!"  :P I gather from all that that they have zero interest in the planets as a planet. They want whats the resources. It just happen that the stuff they want is happens to be on a planet.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 02:05:27 am »
How slow is this super mind to have had a million of years to contemplate the mechanics of the universe, and only come up with what it has?

Yeah, what a looser the XVI is.  In a million years it only:
    1) gained sentience
    2) conquered nearly all life in this galaxy,
    3) strip-mined most of it and
    4) built an interstellar arc that houses the populations of uncounted worlds, and blithely defies many of our cherished laws of physics.

Besides, i think the XVI is only motivated by need, not curiosity-- which is responsible for lots of human scientific advancement.

If they can sustain them selves on that, then grow to the point of needing to strip mine celestial bodies just to live, why is earth even worth the energy to go out of the way to bother with?

Apparently because it has devised an extremely efficient means of interstellar travel that requires less energy than can be gained by strip-mining a solar system.

... But you are generally right in your reply to Wombat's comment:

Planets like ours are very rare and might be worth much effort to colonize.

Not for the XVI, as should be obvious if you read the first post.  It is way too large to be sustained in any one area of a galaxy, and it can't spread it's members over more than several light years without risk of them forming a separate, competing hive mind.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 02:07:41 am by eleazar »

Panthera Leo

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 04:12:02 am »
Granted XVI has accomplished a great deal, I still think it's on par with dirt, thinking wise.

Being sentient, even if it is wantonly ignorant of it's environment, after 500,000 years, by the sheer act of survival it should have made enough random observations to have amassed copious abouts of information about it's environment above and beyond what it has already displayed. On the order of abilities to to step on humanity like bug with the weakest link's weakest ability. Assuming it is doing anything but amusing it's self.

"Necessity... the mother of invention." - Plato

I don't want to start a argument, but my point of view? It's that most all modern technology was either (discovered/invented) in war time in the quest for something else, or a direct result of something (discovered/invented) in war time.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 04:13:39 am by Panthera Leo »

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 06:33:51 am »
Granted XVI has accomplished a great deal, I still think it's on par with dirt, thinking wise.

I don't want to start a argument, but my point of view? It's that most all modern technology was either (discovered/invented) in war time in the quest for something else, or a direct result of something (discovered/invented) in war time.

It's not made abundantly clear in the above document, but during most of the events of UFO:AI, the majority of the XVI entity's attention is on finishing the wormhole device to carry it to the next galaxy, thus the slow build-up of alien activity.

War is one of the major applications of science, but the really big leaps are usually made by people who are just curious, and the resultant theories usually have no immediate military or other application.  For example: helocentrism, gravity, atomic theory, relativity, quantum mechanics, electricity, radio, radiation, etc.  Many of these things later had military applications, but not a significant military cause.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 01:33:33 pm »
Also remember, the storyline explicitly states that XVI is interested in Earth for more and more diverse hosts, not for its resources.

Regards,
Winter

swanwarrior

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 02:40:50 pm »
Actually, I think most inventions were ADAPTED for military use when new wars started. Wars are too short to allow great breakthroughs, but they are perfect to fund massive projects for short time employment of recently discovered technologies.

The atom bomb, the radar, and many others came into use in WWII, but were already discovered as theory. Just, without the war, nobody invested enough funds on them...

The same should apply to Phalanx. Start in time of need with what we have, then gain funds and support.

I don't see the Mumbai story being so wrong and all...
The aliens came, unexpected, and the chaos they spread was enough to allow them to eliminate soldiers and people by the million. I can see civilians running around the town, blocking soldiers from attacking the invaders, panicking all around, congesting streets, buildings and other places so that a single plasma grenade may kill a hundred.
Of course, it is not possibile that 8 aliens attacked and killed so many. So perhaps, an adjustment could be that a mass attack by a number of alien ships and soldiers, later apparently returned to the ark to deliver the collected specimens, had happened in Mumbai, causing the death of thousands of people, and the subsequent chaos and panic increasing the victims tenfolds....

The alien has then left a reletively small guard on earth or around while they study the specimens and finish their wormhole or what it is.... this could even add to the background. Imagine if the whole assault army came back to earth... 8 phalanx soldiers won't be able to even scratch their numbers. But misteriously (but we know why, the mind is intent somewhere else !) they did not return, and the scouts and small ships and alien team coming now and then to collect more specimens can be easily fought back by a limited resource organisation.
The dreadful thing is... they have all they need to study us and spread their virus, as long as they're finished with our DNA samples.
The XVI is slow in acting, as has been pointed out by some other comment, and it will take some more months or years before it enacts a mass attack of earth. A few lost alien ships cannot look so bad to it.
The game takes place during this "Waiting Time"

« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 03:06:25 pm by swanwarrior »