project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: mapping noob q. info_human_start  (Read 9829 times)

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
mapping noob q. info_human_start
« on: July 18, 2007, 10:24:42 am »
This map (tile) is far from finished. I wanted to start looking at the pathfinding and stepons. when i use devmap or map to start it, there are no soldiers to walk around. what have i missed?

edit: (map in zip) http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~science/vil_church.zip

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~science/vil_church.bsp

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:34:10 am »
make sure you've set up a base in singleplayer campaign - you also have to set enough spawnpoints (at least 8)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:42:59 am »
It's a... castlette? Or maybe a fortified chapel?

It's funny though, because just the other day I was thinking it would be nice to have a medieval castle type map.

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 12:16:30 pm »
map tile for assembly really.

its supposed to be a vaguely Norman style chapel.

i think i need 8 spawn points...

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 12:51:29 pm »
help!

now i have 10 info_human_start, 8 info_player_start, 8 info_alien_start.
the spawn points are all resting on brushes, i think they are all positioned OK with respect to the 32X32 grid in X and Y.

still, no little guys running around.  :(

zip has bsp and map.
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~science/vil_church.zip

what is up?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 01:01:26 pm »
Unrelated, once you have it all sorted out, you should also consider making a snow version of this tile. I think it could work well with the frozen tileset.

Wanderer

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 08:47:23 pm »
What is the tilesize (Overall map land usage?).  I'm thinking your map may be too small for usage.  It looks like 1x2 tiles.  Also, once you're done testing, no info_human_starts on it, you want those on the 'dropship' tiles.

As a test, drop a tile or two worth of plan grass at ground level around the tile for simple testing purposes, see if that cures your pain.

Btw, that building looks awesome.

Quote from: "blondandy"
10 info_human_start, 8 info_player_start, 8 info_alien_start.

Next part/problem: If you're running devmap, you need info_civilian_start to see the aliens.  The aliens are invis to you, even in devmap, if there's no civilian to see them.  Include a few info_civ's to make sure devmap works, and then we can narrow down if you're having a human_start problem, or a map level problem.

zark

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 11:42:56 pm »
Hi,

Not very helpful I'm afraid but
- when I try to run UFO with the zipped BSP it crashes with a "bad s_blocklights size". Maybe a transfer problem ????

- when I compile your .map with GTKradiant 1.5, I can play it without any problem and I do have soldiers on my command.

Are you sure that you started a single player campaign AND created a base (with soldiers ) like mattn said, before calling the console and map command ???

It took me quite some time to figure that out. Maybe a good point for a new MFD page on "map testing" ;)

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 03:43:53 pm »
I have worked it out now. I created a base, went to geoscape, then console, and tried devmap and map. for some reason, my installation of the current trunk version is defaulting to no soldiers hired. So i just had to hire and equip them. It seems that this "default to non-hired" thing is only affecting me, so its probably something i have done.

anyhow, now i have worked it out, so I am busy adding stairs, gravestones, pews, an altar and associated ecclesiastical bling.

the "bad s_blocklights size" thing: maybe different versions? i am using the current trunk revision. I would say "head", but that is open to innuendo...

It was 3 by 2 tiles (i am at work now, so cant check). mattn said make it bigger - so i have. i think it is 4 by 3 now. more room for graves! ooh, maybe a nice lych gate.

about the frozen tileset. it is all a bit industrial at the moment. my chapel might look a bit odd sandwiched by factories. perhaps is possible to set up an ump, with fewer factories. perhaps start a new village frozen tileset. i will look into it - assuming i can get this tile finished.

BTW (turning into an essay this). On IRC a few days back mattn and I where thinking it would be cool if the random assembly maps had spawn points for multiplayer. This is something else I plan to look at, but there seem to be plenty of other mappers - so have a look, if you are interested.

Wanderer

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 06:21:03 pm »
Quote from: "blondandy"
BTW (turning into an essay this). On IRC a few days back mattn and I where thinking it would be cool if the random assembly maps had spawn points for multiplayer. This is something else I plan to look at, but there seem to be plenty of other mappers - so have a look, if you are interested.

Definately cool for multiplayer, info_player_start.  Not so cool for campaign, info_human_start. :)

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 07:12:53 pm »
bsp and map in
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~science/maps.zip

I have added some stairs. Can anyone tell me why they do not work? Are they too steep?

There is also some weird surface in the church hall. it appears in the game (from some directions), but is not visible in gtkradiant.  it has the same shape as part of the door.

most of the hall cannot be walked around for some reason.

help!

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 08:55:16 pm »
it might be the clipping brush - it's not aligned - move the lower side to z = 0

if you have problems entering the curch, move the door a little  - the doors might prevent the actors from entering the church

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 09:34:20 pm »
enlarging the understair actorclip to z=0 did not fix it.

the actors can enter the church, but then cannot cross an apparently empty bit of floor.

there is also a very odd shadow on the grass outside.

edit: http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~science/maps.zip

map slightly changed

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 10:04:34 pm »
then you carved an error.. the only workaround that i know of... select all brush tiles manually and copy them to a new map (don't use mass selected, because this will also copy the microbrushes or broken brushes) - one after another. You can just run two instances of gtkradiant to copy & paste

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 10:07:56 pm »
"carved an error"?

so i can avoid doing this again, how might i have done it? is CSG subtract hazardous?

i will try the copying thing.