project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: mapping noob q. info_human_start  (Read 9854 times)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
mapping noob q. info_human_start
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 10:13:29 pm »
csg substract can produce errors - can... it might produce microbrushes and some other neat little things that tends to break maps. In bigger maps i'm always copying parts of the map to a new map and try to mail it down to a few brushes which i then replace or copy one by one to another map

Wanderer

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 12:07:36 am »
Andy, Unfortunately I haven't downloaded your map yet, but some things to note.

- The stepon needs to be tall enough to encompass the entire model on the next floor up on the final stair.
- If the stairway is in an 'odd' start point, make sure you have an actorclip running under the stairway that acts like a 'false floor'.  For some reason, I found this fixed a lot of my stairways that didn't have an identifiable floor in range, even if it was solid brushes they were walking up.
- There *is* a limit to how much a step can go up, however, it's doubtful you'd hit it without trying really hard to do it.  Put a stepon brush across a wall, for example, and try to step on the roof. No love.  One stair at waist height won't get you there, either.
- Is the stairway wide enough for the character?

Hope that helps a little.  As to the rest, Matt can run circles around me so I'm not going to comment unless you can't fix it with his recommendation. :)

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 10:28:28 pm »
I tried all suggestions (thanks all). the main problem did seem to be the steepness.

I have tried a few things. I think my map is the "broken toy" referred to in wanderer's wiki article.

i have broken brushes, as mattn suspected, so i have started copying to a new map. (for other new mappers out there: this is less onerous than it might sound, because when you paste into the new gtkradiant instance the brushes appear in the same place they where in the old instance.)

one more question, it seems that actors cannot step between the brushes that make up the first floor, unless the surface they stand on is on the z=128 plane. is this true?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 10:34:09 pm »
one more question, it seems that actors cannot step between the brushes that make up the first floor, unless the surface they stand on is on the z=128 plane. is this true?

Not sure i got you right, but the different floors should be aligned to 0, 64, 128 and so on - but of course you can vary a little here - you can even use stepon brushes to let them work with bigger difference