project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How to jump off the ladder?  (Read 3779 times)

vvb

How to jump off the ladder?
« on: July 10, 2007, 06:48:56 am »
Well, "tip of the day" was a very good idea. I've found out some useful things.
 But one thing is remain confusing.
 How soldier can jump off the ladder? Or from balcony, I don't know...
 Is it possible at all?
 If I try to simply send soldier to point near him, AI always find a long way (on ladders, on doors and so on). Is it possible to give an order to jump from heights directly?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 09:49:00 am »
No.

Wanderer

Re: How to jump off the ladder?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 06:50:45 pm »
Quote from: "vvb"
Well, "tip of the day" was a very good idea. I've found out some useful things.
 But one thing is remain confusing.
 How soldier can jump off the ladder? Or from balcony, I don't know...
 Is it possible at all?
 If I try to simply send soldier to point near him, AI always find a long way (on ladders, on doors and so on). Is it possible to give an order to jump from heights directly?

Direct order, no... shorter drops can be chosen if the map itself doesn't have blockers on it to stop that from occurring.  However, there is an 'invisible wall' feature in the map builder, so before you drive yourself crazy with what *looks* like you should be allowed to make it, crank open the .map file and make sure you're allowed. :)

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 10:06:47 am »
We need a code calculating whether the drop will be more than 1 level. If yes -> block. If no -> allow to jump.
Without that we just need to put proper brushes to all maps disallowing for example jumping from the roof at 6th level to the ground at 1st level which is not optimal.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 11:34:35 am »
Ideally we DO want people to be able to go over edges of long drops - when they're pushed or knocked back or something similar. Such a drop should result in additional damage (and in most cases, result in death).

vvb

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 12:46:58 pm »
Quote from: "Zenerka"
... jumping from the roof at 6th level to the ground at 1st level which is not optimal.

Well... from 6th level may be. But from 2nd or 3rd SHOULD BE ALLOWED to jump on...
 May be some soldiers can be saved if someone jump from 3rd level... Yes, he lose half of his HP, but kill an alien...

Wanderer

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 06:20:33 pm »
Quote from: "vvb"
Quote from: "Zenerka"
... jumping from the roof at 6th level to the ground at 1st level which is not optimal.

Well... from 6th level may be. But from 2nd or 3rd SHOULD BE ALLOWED to jump on...
 May be some soldiers can be saved if someone jump from 3rd level... Yes, he lose half of his HP, but kill an alien...

PLF, Parachute Landing Falls, can be used to survive with minimal damage falls from the roof of a second story, or the middle of a third story.  Admittedly they must be practiced otherwise most people tend to lock up instead of falling properly, but a 2-3 story fall can be survived with a little training.  Ask your local Airborne team.  The one I knew used to do it off the bar's roof after a night of drinking...

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 06:24:17 pm »
Quote from: "Wanderer"
The one I knew used to do it off the bar's roof after a night of drinking...

I note past tense.

Wanderer

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 08:30:44 pm »
Quote from: "BTAxis"
Quote from: "Wanderer"
The one I knew used to do it off the bar's roof after a night of drinking...

I note past tense.

They aren't 21 and stupid anymore... they're 30+ and stupid, with wives who will beat them to death if they try in eyesight of the kids.  :twisted:

That and the last time they were screwing around at a local bar they informed me the cops showed up thinking they were attempting mass suicide, 1 at a time.