project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Tip of the Day  (Read 62523 times)

Offline jerikojerk

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Tip of the Day
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2011, 01:00:27 am »
A la guerre com a la guerre. (or smth similar)
the correct spelling is
"à la guerre comme à la guerre."

it's the very first thing you learn at military scool about weapon is to not fire when they are comrade in front of you.

Offline YVN

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2011, 03:40:00 pm »
Les mines de proximité me manque.

Les grenades fumigènes colorantes seraient utiles pour informer les civiles des zones sécurisées et pourquoi pas attirer nos ennemis sur des embuscades.

Proximity mine are missing to create ambush to aliens.

Colour Grenade should be useful to pull civilian into safety place

Offline Kanjejou

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2011, 11:23:06 pm »
Kill it with fire!!!

Rip them with thunder!!

Offline FelixDrake

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2013, 07:09:37 am »
Never kill with one shot what you can SAFELY kill with 20.
Never auto missions. You get no loot, the civilians usually all die, and you kill with NO shots, so no skill practice/gains.

The point here is get your stat gains in where you can. 
There is never a point inthe game where your soldiers do not benefit from more target practice.
A long protracted firefight with lots of hits, lots of maneuvering, and your soldiers carrying enough to break a sweat will benefit you FAR more than three GL bursts on airburst.

That way, when things start to get nastier, you're facing it with 34 movement and 60+ weapon skills instead of 30 movement and 40s weapon skills.
Focus on your soldiers with the highest base stats, as it gets progressively harder to raise stats, and it is based on starting stats (someone who started with 18 sniper skill and 30 now will gain slower than someone who started with 30 sniper skill).

All this said, if carpet bombing an area with grenades is what is needed to save that insane stats soldier you have, nuke 'em 'til they glow and shoot 'em in the dark.

Offline lycanreaver

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2013, 04:35:32 am »
Before the firebird or transport gets to mission, hit f5 to save the game, cause not all auto missions go the way you would have wanted. You may find your down a soldier or two, or even the whole squad, and when the enevitable happenes and your starring at a defeat screen just hit f9 and it will reload the game to the moment you save at right before ya got to the mission, so you can enter and not get all your fine soldiers killed. I haved used this and on record i have had no defeats and only 1 killed soldier cause i decided to sacrifice him for a captured corruptor.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:13:01 am by lycanreaver »

Offline LordJeff

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2014, 10:43:31 pm »
Never kill with one shot what you can SAFELY kill with 20.
Never auto missions. You get no loot, the civilians usually all die, and you kill with NO shots, so no skill practice/gains.

The point here is get your stat gains in where you can. 
There is never a point inthe game where your soldiers do not benefit from more target practice.
A long protracted firefight with lots of hits, lots of maneuvering, and your soldiers carrying enough to break a sweat will benefit you FAR more than three GL bursts on airburst.

As we used to say in the Army: Training is everything, and Everything is training.
Can I get a Huah?

Offline Mungojerrie

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2014, 03:00:20 pm »
Keeping a medikit in a holster and a flashbang amd smoke grenade in holster or on a belt can save lives.

You can use AOE weapons like GL, RL and grenades out of direct line of sight of an alien, thus not triggering reaction fire.

Reaction fire saves lives, but only if it is fast enough. Using fire modes that require more than 12 TUs is rarely justified.

Keep your distance, if you're not sure. They sometimes have Plasma Blades, which are a guaranteed 1 shot 1 kill.

Bloodspiders are a low-priority target.

Landed or crashed Corrupter UFOs always have some aliens in lateral sections.