project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Tip of the Day  (Read 62524 times)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Tip of the Day
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 03:56:40 pm »
Read my post carefully please! The idea is: "suggest player not to use such medieval tactics because it is not possible in UFO:AI world"
And it's pity.  >:(

this is no longer true - i've fixed this in r23207

Offline TroubleMaker

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2009, 09:55:04 pm »
this is no longer true - i've fixed this in r23207
TY, Mattn!
Kildor just have informed me about such glorious correction.

:D

odie

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 04:48:08 am »
Tip of the day :)

When you are intercepting an UFO, use 2 interceptors, 1 should engage the UFO first, when the target is on the red fire line, quickly recall the interceptor, let the other to continue interception over the target

The UFO will be after the interceptor you recalled, while the other interceptor will destroy the UFO without being worried about enemy fire

-ah!, for that you will need saracens, because they are faster-

:)

Oh ya, do note that if u do this, there is higher chance (of course) of exposing the location of ur base.....

I have tried this before and hence i do get quite a number of base assaults. haha. I do have quite a few sam sites ard for this purpose though.

PS: For other x-com genre like games tat i employed this hit and run tactic, my base becomes vulnerable usually......

Pharoyar

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2009, 08:53:26 pm »
It's a classic infantry tactic dating back to the invention of the rifle (or muskets as they used to call them).

Perhaps it's just too 18th century for this game  ;D

Read my post carefully please! The idea is: "suggest player not to use such medieval tactics because it is not possible in UFO:AI world"
And it's pity.  >:(

Sorry my friends but i have to speak up.
You are saing that those tactics are "OLD", because you saw them on NAPOLEONIC WARS and SECESSION WARS in which the cadence of shooting was slow (each weapon could only shoot once before reloading).
But on actual times the same strategy is use (specially by ex-KGB operatives in personal protection detail), as distraction or shield of what lays behind.

You can place a well armored soldier in front, serving as protection of the low armored men, that position will be serving as shield in unprotected scenarios. Not that medieval, in my eyes.

odie

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 06:41:15 am »
You can place a well armored soldier in front, serving as protection of the low armored men, that position will be serving as shield in unprotected scenarios. Not that medieval, in my eyes.

Actually, that is not a standard military tactic now...... we use cover fire and seek cover + fire tactics now. Minimal exposure..... instead of the former military standard (the monarchy style....).

Unless we talk abt low risk mob suppression (we know wat they have and it dun kill us), where we have a whole row of shields in front.....

Then again, this is high risk (highest risk rather) when dealing with aliens (who has infinitely more unknown killing power wpns).... not good if we are putting BEST soldiers from ard the world at risk......

Plus, there is practically not much reason as to why we should have a 'rabbit' to lure aliens in this case..... (reminds me of Saving Private Ryan - the final rabbit luring the sherman tanks....).... why would u want everyone (aliens) to come into an area? unless u have setup a killing zone.......

Then again, as most of the forums alr discussed, we all have diff tactics.... so if u wan to use ur rabbit method, its ok with me. I stick to my military knowledge of modern warfare....... - cover fire hide cover fire hide.

Pharoyar

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 02:47:53 pm »
I guess we then need a new equipment on the weapons list, like a Riot Shield.

odie

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2009, 07:18:10 am »
I guess we then need a new equipment on the weapons list, like a Riot Shield.

Nah, we dont. No use. The aliens will just shoot thru it. Haha. Unless u intend to use this as a human shield - bad choice, considering armor piercing round..... (we are not suppressing mobs with sticks here, these are aliens with potent rounds). Plus, i would rather invest in developing a stronger armor suit. :P

Again.... have u read my earlier post? The standard military tactics are Cover and Fire..... Cover as in not the old-day's romans' way of phalanx..... thats not the idea of phalanx in UFOAI. lol. :P

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2009, 08:42:09 pm »
in order to transform your grenade launcher into a whole new weapon type that has some very special properties, reload flechette in the battlefield.

it is probably because the flechette ammo will somehow jam the barrel unless a competent technician does the reloading back in the base.

Offline Troberg

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2009, 03:36:00 pm »
It's a classic infantry tactic dating back to the invention of the rifle (or muskets as they used to call them).

Perhaps it's just too 18th century for this game

Not really that outdated, we use similar techniques in some situations. For instance, if you have enemies outside and want to pop out and shoot through the door, one guy goes high, one goes low. Usually, one lays down a suppressive fire while the other picks targets with more precision as they run for cover. Extremely scary for the enemy and quite effective.

odie

Tips of the Day (Since Eons)
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2009, 09:20:56 am »
Okie folks,

Lets not digress.... This is supposed to be a sticky for "TIPS OF THE DAY".

Kindly direct other non related topics to a new thread ok?

I ma going to give my TOD (Tips of the Day):

1) In the beginning.....always ensure u choose the soldiers u employ well. Esp if u r in easier modes (where u get many more soldiers to choose from.)

Choose soldiers with stats that match your style of play. Personally i like :
  • 1 very insane stats soldiers (Leader 1)
  • 2 Marksman (snipers)
  • 2 Assault teams (room clearance)
  • 2 Close combat (for that stun rods and sub machines, as well as backside covering for the 2 assaulters) / If u dun like close, u can also try my alternate play, 2 Heavy Machine gunners. (further back though)
  • 1 Heavy weapon user (for that almighty canon)

Be creative, choose your own style. If u like 8 chargers, i ma not stopping your kamikaze actions (Though i doubt they will last very long). Neither will i say your team of 8 snipers approach (using slow n steady but getting all ur civis killed) are wrong. Its a game, enjoy it! :D

2) For battle mode,
  • Always ensure that your soldiers are equipped with at least basic armor.
  • Always ensure every soldier is equipped with some sorta weapons - in accordance to their specialities
  • Soldiers with high stats in sniper skill should be equipped with a sniper rifle.
  • Soldiers with high stats in Assault should have an assault rifle (and so on...)

• Ensure u not onli equipped with the weapons, but that u have bought the necessary ammunitions for them. And restock these ammunitions often after missions.
  • Always move slowly in pairs or trios (2 or 3s).
  • Cover all angles in the pairs or trios (thats why trios work better. Cover one another's arses.
  • Always keep enough TU (Time units) for reaction fire. U never know when tat lil grey is popping out from the corner.
  • Take cover as much as possible. Out of sight, out of fire.
  • Crouch if no cover is available (such as crossing that padi field). 1/2 a man is always harder to aim than a full standing man. I have been to ranges and can verify tat with thousands of rounds in practise. If u can prone (new function perhaps? LOL), i suggest u better. Oki. no prone in this game. :P
  • Always bring 1 or 2 medikits and apply em if u can.

3) Outside of battles, always make sure u research as much stuff as u can, upgrading the space to accomodate more scientists, and put all scientists onto the most immediate project. Focused research always is better than multiple research. Trust me on this one.

Okie, thats my lil TOD (Tips of the Day). Hope if will steer this thread back on right track with more ppl sharing their POSITIVE and proven (NOT exploits of bugs) experiences. :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 09:23:10 am by odie »

Rawcactus

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2009, 10:26:36 am »
If you let 4 or 5 of your best soldiers do all (or most of) the shooting, their skills will improve faster, because they get all the experience. Lesser soldiers can be used as back-up and medics.

(This works really good on standart level in version 2.2)

odie

2.3 Dev Builds - UFO Yards
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2009, 08:38:08 pm »
Eloz again,

For those playing 2.3 Devs Earlier Builts, or those who are transiting to 2.3 builts from 2.2.1, you might find that Large UFO Hangers and Small UFO Hangers are missing!

WOOT! Tough luck, they are not going to reappear..... because.... UFO Yards are here!
A lil writeup on UFO Yard

You might want to experiment with UFO Yards! :D
(You will definately need this if u want to progress in the game. So get one ASAP strategically placed).

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2010, 01:38:28 am »
Tip of the Day mentioning flashbangs still exists in the 2.3 release; yet I can't seem to build them or buy them (seem to recall them available from start in final version of 2.2), and I've researched enough that the current research items going on relate to Starchasers and plasma grenades.  Unless they've got some wacky research prerequisites, the tip seems no longer applicable.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2010, 08:53:55 am »
Tip of the Day mentioning flashbangs still exists in the 2.3 release; yet I can't seem to build them or buy them (seem to recall them available from start in final version of 2.2), and I've researched enough that the current research items going on relate to Starchasers and plasma grenades.  Unless they've got some wacky research prerequisites, the tip seems no longer applicable.

Flashbangs were not working correctly with the new system and got removed temporary. That tip was left in by mistake, sorry for the inconvenience.

-geever

Offline Thrashard96

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2010, 09:16:15 am »
The flashbangs could still be used at least for stunning others, such as aliens and/or hostages, but there would be one catch: if it blinds you - you get stunned, too.